Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the left side of the deck was not raising and found the left lift arm broke where the adjustable linkage attaches (number 15) in the exploded view. The adjustable linkage part number 7 was bent. All of the parts are part of the tractor warranty and the dealer ordered them on an emergency basis so I would get them the next morning (today).

I picked up my service manual during my trip to the dealer for these parts. When I go home I looked in the manual and it gave the steps to remove the lift arm, which looks pretty easy even without the manual. No such luck. Both left and right lift arms were rusted on would not simply slide off the rockshaft which they are keyed onto. What I did not notice in the manual was it says to remove the floor board for better access. Both lift arms are on the keyed rockshaft for a distance of about 3 inches so penetrating oil takes some time to work its way through. It took a pry bar and a long punch to finally get the lift arms off (45 minutes or so). I cleaned up the rockshaft ends with emery paper so the lift arms slide on and off easier. It will go back together with a coating of long term grease of some type.

The linkage view was difficult to find on the parts breakdown even for the dealer parts man. Go to the alphabetical listing and look under "mower lift linkage"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,263 Posts
Anti-sieze can be you best friend.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
The lift arms are a bear to get off. It took me about the same amount of time to get mine off when I installed the hydraulic lift & I had the floor board removed.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Anti-sieze can be you best friend.
I've used anti-sieze a lot in my life but I didn't think of it this time......darn it. I used a premium grease. It all went back together real easy. The keys just pushed in by hand. Then I went out and mowed the grass. Now I'm pooped.

It's still not too bad to do the job with the floor board installed.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I havent seen one break yet. Any ideas as to the root cause of the failure? I'd like to see a pic. Some of the kits we have been getting in have had rust on the rockshafts and arms. Slows things down slightly when doing an install. Anti sieze sounds like a great idea. Lil dab will do ya! Man that stuff sure gets all over the place quick!

·
Premium Member
9,263 Posts
That and Kroil is one of my favorite penetrating oils.
I haven't tried Kroil yet. Sounds like an invaluable GGT tip.... I have some exhaust manifolds to persuade off of an old 460 that might just be a good opportunity to try it.....

·
Premium Member
9,263 Posts
I've used anti-sieze a lot in my life but I didn't think of it this time......darn it. I used a premium grease. It all went back together real easy. The keys just pushed in by hand. Then I went out and mowed the grass. Now I'm pooped.

It's still not too bad to do the job with the floor board installed.
Glad to hear that you got it fixed. I your grass is growing like mine, you can't afford to be down for long. I'm afraid to fertilize mine.. I'd need a machete to get out the door!:lol:

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I haven't tried Kroil yet. Sounds like an invaluable GGT tip.... I have some exhaust manifolds to persuade off of an old 460 that might just be a good opportunity to try it.....
I found it when looking for something to help remove coper fouling from a rifle barrel. If it can get in under coper that has been laid down at 2500 ft/sec than a little rust in the threads should be no problem.

The last time I used it on rust was taking the parking break mechanism apart on my wife's Jeep Lib. The two parts were so rusted together that I thought it was one piece. With in minutes I had the pieces apart.

It also smells good kinda like Hoppe's #9 bore solvent.

·
Administrator
20,727 Posts
Kroil is some impressive stuff. It can be hard to find though, but once you've used it, you'll want more.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are the photos of the broken left lift arm and the right lift arm for those who don't know what it's supposed to look like. I loaded the photos in the exact opposite that I wanted them to display....oh well.

The first photo is the unbroken right lift arm showing the piece that the linkage attaches to.

The second photo is the backside of the left lift arm that shows that the "pin" had very little weld and little penetration.

The third photo is what the front side (outside) of the arm looks like. You can see the pin is not welded on this side at all.

The fourth photos is the lift arm after removal

The last photo is how it looked still mounted on the tractor before removal.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts