Green Tractor Talk banner

Mowing and Blade Angle

3357 Views 20 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  MattL
Note: This is not a paid advertisement. Recently after decades of trying to get blades right I bought a tool from a company called American Power. I'm sure there are others. But with this tool I could and can accurately set the blade angle. Most of the blades for the Deere are set up to 45 degrees. From my full examination of the proper angle it should be around 30-35 degrees but there is no way to set without the equipment. Anyway this equipment will allow this with true machine quality finish. Using the flexible pad type disc you will not produce excess heat. Now having said all that I've sharpened both my 60D and my Landpride FDR2572. I can produce a clean manicured cut at 500 less RPM. I've learned to go slow and this produces the excellent results. I kick myself for buying thousands of dollars of equipment but was too cheap to buy what really counted was the finished blade edge. I can't say enough about results and others couldn't believe it either. I've never in 60 plus years been able to sharpen the blades with this precision. I'm just passing along from tested results.
See less See more
Reactions: 5
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
It is and it puts an exact angle on the blades. Wish I'd had one for the last 50 years.
Reactions: 4
Lawn mower people have everyone running the machines wide open to beat the grass off, but if you have the correct angle and sharpeness you can gleem the lawn.
Reactions: 3
There are all kinds of machines for putting a precision edge on your blades while maintaining the correct angle. Below are two examples.

See less See more
Reactions: 2
I can't say enough about results and others couldn't believe it either. I've never in 60 plus years been able to sharpen the blades with this precision.

I feel the same way. I've had one for about a year. Easy to use and great results.
See less See more
Reactions: 1
I've never in 60 plus years been able to sharpen the blades with this precision
I bought one, a bit pricey, but worth every penny, plus with the exact, uniform angle (35* in
my case), think the edge actually holds up longer.
Also bought an Oregon precision blade balancer at the same time, it also does a great job
and worth the bucks.
Figured the amount of money we spend on the purchase of a mowing machine, why hold
back the horses on the very thing the machine does, cut grass with a sharp blade.
See less See more
Glad I came across this thread. I have been seriously thinking about getting the Model 5005 gen 2.

Finally decided instead of purchasing new blades each year I will just sharpen them when needed. Having an extra set sharpened and on standby - I should be good to go. Decided this Spring I was going to get serious and get rid of the weeds and bare spots and get some real grass for once. All I have been doing is bi$ch slapping my lawn into submission. I got a plan and I will start this fall. Time to go ahead and purchase this sharpener and get some practice in.

Question: What type of discs is everyone using???
See less See more
Reactions: 3
Is the model 5005 the correct one to use with Deere mulching blades?
Glad I came across this thread. I have been seriously thinking about getting the Model 5005 gen 2.

Finally decided instead of purchasing new blades each year I will just sharpen them when needed. Having an extra set sharpened and on standby - I should be good to go. Decided this Spring I was going to get serious and get rid of the weeds and bare spots and get some real grass for once. All I have been doing is bi$ch slapping my lawn into submission. I got a plan and I will start this fall. Time to go ahead and purchase this sharpener and get some practice in.

I’m neurotic about my blades on both machines. 36-grit flap disc is what I’m using for discs with the model 5005 Gen-II. Up until getting this unit, the factory grind angle on the OEM blades on my 2025’s deck ALWAYS tore instead of cut….no longer an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See less See more
I’m neurotic about my blades on both machines. 36-grit flap disc is what I’m using for discs with the model 5005 Gen-II...............
Thanks. I will pick up a pack of 36-grit.

I use the 40 or 60 grit flap disc.
If the edges are pretty good still I use the 60 grit.
Remember not to be too aggressive with the pressure you put on the blades, you don't
want to burn (blue tint ) the cutting edge and ruin the temper.
I prefer to make a couple of light passes keeping the cutting edge from getting too hot.
See less See more
I cannot believe I just spent over $200 ordering one of these things. I did find that the device was about 10 percent less expensive ordering from the company web site, cutting out the middle man (Jeff Bezos) profit. Shipping was included, as well.
I cannot believe I just spent over $200 ordering one of these things. I did find that the device was about 10 percent less expensive ordering from the company web site, cutting out the middle man (Jeff Bezos) profit. Shipping was included, as well.
You are going to like it.(y)

I was unsure myself until I started using it.
See less See more
Looks like the higher price on Amazon is a third party seller. A little research saves the loot, but I'd guess the higher price is to cover the Amazon prime fees that are paid by the sellers who send products to Amazon warehouses to make them prime eligible. I know that in years past I've intentionally purchased prime products solely because of the faster, "free" shipping. It's not as valuable at this point.

Back on topic - the 5005 and Oregon balancer are on my birthday wishlist that was sent out earlier this week. My family is big on lists and gifts...
See less See more
What timing, Project Farm just posted a comparison of mower blade sharpeeners.

Great job comparing sharpeners.
Thanks for posting.
Well, I had doubts about spending $200 for the Model 2005 All American Sharpener. Those doubts are now gone.

I just sharpened my old 60D MMM Deere mulching blades for the first time with it. I thought I had been doing a good job freehanded with my bench top belt sander, but boy was I wrong. The old blades took me about an hour to sharpen because I had them so far off. I used my Dewalt 20V grinder and a 40 grit flap wheel, and I went through 5 fully charged 4 AH batteries. I think now that I have the angles re-established it will only get better each time.

Attachments

See less See more
Well, I had doubts about spending $200 for the Model 2005 All American Sharpener. Those doubts are now gone.

I just sharpened my old 60D MMM Deere mulching blades for the first time with it. I thought I had been doing a good job freehanded with my bench top belt sander, but boy was I wrong. The old blades took me about an hour to sharpen because I had them so far off. I used my Dewalt 20V grinder and a 40 grit flap wheel, and I went through 5 fully charged 4 AH batteries. I think now that I have the angles re-established it will only get better each time.
View attachment 798679
Looks good. Don't forget to re-balance the blades. In my experience, re-establishing the proper cutting angle on an old blade always leaves it way out of balance on the first pass.

Lots of additional flap wheel work may be needed on the heavy blade before it is ready to bolt back on the spindle.
See less See more
I am maybe just stirring the pot here but do you guys really need an exact angle on a steel blade that is spinning 200 MPH to cut a wimpy piece of grass? I know these tools are cool a but I doubt the grass is going to know the difference if the blade is 25 degrees or 35 degrees. Only the end quarter of an inch cuts the grass anyway, the rest is just for mulching. Unless you are running a mowing shop and sharpening blades every day...then maybe. Flame away.

See less See more
  • Haha
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.