Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a fairly large pine windbreak that is about 12 years old now, and we are looking for a good way to keep the grass around them mowed. The branches hang down just low enough where a push mower is is a big hassle to wrestle with. A weed whacker works, but is alot of work. My wife doesn't want to trim the trees, and likes the grass around them so mulching and trimming the trees are not good options. I'm wondering if a small sickle bar would work?? I have a 3 point and rear PTO on my X748. Does any of you know of such a beast that would work on the X748? a sickle would also be good for mowing our creek bank. I've thought about those pull behind offset mowers, but I don't want another small engine to maintain.
Any ideas??

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
I know this isn't a good option as you mentioned you didn't want another engine to maintain, plus they're big machines so room would be an issue, but front mowers are made just for the scenario you're talking about. Wheel Horse used to make a front mowing deck for their machines, and back in the 60's Cub Cadet had one. But a front mower, while the mowing deck is out front, are made to get under trees and bushes. Something like a F-series John Deere, i.e. F510, F525, or a F700 or F900 series. They're starting to pop up used now and are excellent mowing machines.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
My solution for that is probably not what you want to hear either, but I take care of the grass around about 200 trees.

Grass-B-Gone

1523276l.jpg

After a while the thees shade it out and nothing grows. The grass b gone will not hurt the trees if you get it on them. Great stuff.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm guessing that the answer to my question about a sickle bar mower is no??

·
Registered
654 Posts
Arlen, If you want to try the sickle bar route there are some listed on tractorhouse.com.
It you can find one near you and not cost you very much, sounds like a project.

Doug

·
Registered
114 Posts
I know you said your wife doesn't want them trimmed. But I trimmed mine on my property and have been very pleased with the way they look. Plus the fact my children now like to play under them. Just a thought.
:good2:

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I'm guessing that the answer to my question about a sickle bar mower is no??
Pit might work, but I wouldd fear cutting the tree branches with it. Plus you would have to be careful not to hit a tree with it. Some will bend easily. I have used many sickle bars but never used on at ground level.

These days sickle bars are big dollars.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pit might work, but I wouldd fear cutting the tree branches with it. Plus you would have to be careful not to hit a tree with it. Some will bend easily. I have used many sickle bars but never used on at ground level.

These days sickle bars are big dollars.
Alamo has one called a SwingTrim. It looks it would be the best thing ever for mowing "odd" areas, but I don't think its quite the answer here though. I still want one. Take a look: http://www.alamo-industrial.com/Documents/Literature/9_swingtrim_lit.pdf
I bet it would be serious dollars. It's all hydraulic (needs 5-6 gpm).
I'm thinking I will just have to use a weed whacker with a blade instead of a string.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I want one!!!! That is cool!

Why don't you just build one? It looks simple enough. An old sickle bar mower, some steel, a few hydraulic cylinders, and you have a mower. :)

Seriously, it would be some work, but here is a video from a friend of mine. His brother is a crazy-man when it comes to fabbing things up. He built this flail mower from scratch. The video is of his son testing it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-j0ROwGmso&feature=youtu.be

·
Super Moderator
5,492 Posts
We have a fairly large pine windbreak that is about 12 years old now, and we are looking for a good way to keep the grass around them mowed. The branches hang down just low enough where a push mower is is a big hassle to wrestle with. A weed whacker works, but is alot of work. My wife doesn't want to trim the trees, and likes the grass around them so mulching and trimming the trees are not good options. I'm wondering if a small sickle bar would work?? I have a 3 point and rear PTO on my X748. Does any of you know of such a beast that would work on the X748? a sickle would also be good for mowing our creek bank. I've thought about those pull behind offset mowers, but I don't want another small engine to maintain.
Any ideas??
A pic of what your dilemma is would be nice.
If you have pines you gotta have roots above ground. I wouldn't think a sickle bar is the right answer either.
Why not consider a "beater mower" for dealing with your pines. I have an old Snapper Comet 2650 that I use for cutting the growth under our pines. Works great.

Greg

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A pic of what your dilemma is would be nice.
If you have pines you gotta have roots above ground. I wouldn't think a sickle bar is the right answer either.
Why not consider a "beater mower" for dealing with your pines. I have an old Snapper Comet 2650 that I use for cutting the growth under our pines. Works great.

Greg
I take a picture tomorrow. They are actually blue spruce, there aren't any roots sticking up. The branches on most of the trees come right to the ground. We like that because it blocks the blowing snow from the north (minnesota you know). My wife likes the nice manicured grass look:treehugger:. She has always took care of it with a battery powered weed whacker. The trees are about 10 feet in diameter now and there are over 100 of them. She is starting to complain:thumbsdown::nunu:. I think there would be some damage with a sickle mower. I see that now. It helps to talk these things out. I still want to get one of those hydraulic ones though:kidw_truck_smiley:. Now as far as the trees go maybe I'll try a little sickle bar for my Stihl weed whacker I saw them on their website. At least I wouldn't be screwing with string.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
7,446 Posts
What about a string trimmer attached to your mower?

http://www.4mtrimmers.com/

Those people make them, but it looks like it would be possible to fab one up yourself without too much trouble.
I've had a similar idea for one of these things; but never pursued it.

Alamo has one called a SwingTrim. It looks it would be the best thing ever for mowing "odd" areas, but I don't think its quite the answer here though. I still want one. Take a look: http://www.alamo-industrial.com/Documents/Literature/9_swingtrim_lit.pdf
I bet it would be serious dollars. It's all hydraulic (needs 5-6 gpm).
I'm thinking I will just have to use a weed whacker with a blade instead of a string.
Now that's cool, and would make mowing scary ditches easier.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is a picture of a typical tree. The grass only grows around the edges.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Have you looked at a wheeled trimer ? May be better than a hand held trimer.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you looked at a wheeled trimer ? May be better than a hand held trimer.
Is that the gizmo that looks like a push mower, but has a string instead of a blade? We were kind of thinking about it. Do you have a recommendation?

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts