Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Corndog Hater
11,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven’t found much online about folks using their UTV/Side by Side with a pull/tow behind mower, particularly a brush mower. There are plenty of promo videos by DR, Swisher, and Kuntz/AcrEase, Dirty Hands, etc., but not much from actual homeowners. Is that because it’s not the way to go? After finishing a large acreage survey this week (the second of which I could have used a Gator on in the last 2 months), and fielding calls about several more, I’m exploring buying a Gator (just to generalize of course).

I would like to get a brush mower as more land I work on goes to brush every year, and I could cut some paths along lines, etc. I would also like to get a brush mower so that I could be ready to mow at pretty much the drop of a hat, seeing that some years we run out of time to use the brush hog, and then it’s time to mow again and I take the brush hog off, unused. I am intrigued by being able to mow our rough field with something with a suspension, and being able to offset the mower so we don’t have to drive through the tall grass (not really any brush in our field). I realize towing a “trailer mower” will have drawbacks from a 3PH type mower. I plan to also put a plow on it for snow removal, but that’s beside the point.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

·
Corndog Hater
11,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A friend of mine uses one similar to this. He pulls it with an ATV, does a pretty nice job.

Keep in mind, double the gas usage.

Thanks. The gas thing is definitely a downside, and these mowers don't have that big of tanks. It does seem that at least one of them could be ordered with a bigger tank though. I figured that by the time Mrs. CP ran a tank of gas through the mower, she'd be ready for a break anyway. Man, how thoughtful of a husband am I?:lol: But I figured with us cutting the field twice a year at most, it wouldn't be a deal/bank breaker. And besides, I'll still have the 3PH brush hog on the diesel tractor, just in case.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,631 Posts
Thanks. The gas thing is definitely a downside, and these mowers don't have that big of tanks. It does seem that at least one of them could be ordered with a bigger tank though. I figured that by the time Mrs. CP ran a tank of gas through the mower, she'd be ready for a break anyway. Man, how thoughtful of a husband am I?:lol: But I figured with us cutting the field twice a year at most, it wouldn't be a deal/bank breaker. And besides, I'll still have the 3PH brush hog on the diesel tractor, just in case.
IMO that's a flaw in your thinking. You get this and someone will be mowing a couple of times a month. Trust me.
Nobody (including me) wanted to mow here until we got our first ZTR. Now even the horse pastures get mowed pretty regularly.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
A friend of mine uses one similar to this. He pulls it with an ATV, does a pretty nice job.

View attachment 685886

Keep in mind, double the gas usage.
We have one of these pictured though I can't off hand remember the brand because we haven't used it in a few years, 48" cut that can offset to either side. Yes, it is a gas hog but also has a large enough tank for at least 2-3 hrs of mowing. When you say "brush" cutter are you talking about cutting actual brush or overgrown fields? These tow behind units like the one we have are "rough" cut mowers, not a brush hog, but they do work well for grassy areas that don't necessarily need a finished look.

·
Corndog Hater
11,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMO that's a flaw in your thinking. You get this and someone will be mowing a couple of times a month. Trust me.
Nobody (including me) wanted to mow here until we got our first ZTR. Now even the horse pastures get mowed pretty regularly.
True enough and I’m sure you’re right, but I also want to make sure the Gator gets used so.....

We have one of these pictured though I can't off hand remember the brand because we haven't used it in a few years, 48" cut that can offset to either side. Yes, it is a gas hog but also has a large enough tank for at least 2-3 hrs of mowing. When you say "brush" cutter are you talking about cutting actual brush or overgrown fields? These tow behind units like the one we have are "rough" cut mowers, not a brush hog, but they do work well for grassy areas that don't necessarily need a finished look.
Yes Pat, the rough cut mowers. My field is all grass except a couple multiflora roses if we skip a year cutting it. On the years we’ve gotten two cuttings in, from our deck 350’ away, it looks finish mowed. That’s plenty good for us. It is wide open, no trees or obstacles to mow around. It sounds like these mowers burn about a gallon an hour?

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
True enough and I’m sure you’re right, but I also want to make sure the Gator gets used so.....

Yes Pat, the rough cut mowers. My field is all grass except a couple multiflora roses if we skip a year cutting it. On the years we’ve gotten two cuttings in, from our deck 350’ away, it looks finish mowed. That’s plenty good for us. It is wide open, no trees or obstacles to mow around. It sounds like these mowers burn about a gallon an hour?
Yes, I've never measured or kept track when we did use ours, I just know that you wanted to have gas on hand. Could you use your tractor with rotary cutter? I can cut our pastures in less time with my tractor than I can with the Mule and that tow behind.

·
Corndog Hater
11,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I've never measured or kept track when we did use ours, I just know that you wanted to have gas on hand. Could you use your tractor with rotary cutter? I can cut our pastures in less time with my tractor than I can with the Mule and that tow behind.
Yes we can use the tractor with the RC and it works great. I’m just trying to justify the Gator!

Often, I finish mowing and then put the RC on, get it adjusted and then it sits all week because life gets in the way. Then poof, its time to mow again and I take it off so I can put the MMM back on. I’d like something that I can have ready to mow the field if I happen to score a few hours at the drop of a hat.

I had also thought of buying something to use as a dedicated mowing machine, leaving the 1026R for tractor duties only. Mrs CP asked if we really needed another tractor. This was after she saw me looking at the Gators at an outdoor show. She commented that that would come in handy around the house and for surveys. Gotta keep momma happy...

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
You're looking at all wrong, you use the tractor/RC to mow, then drive the Mrs. around on the Gator to show her your fine work.:lol:

·
Corndog Hater
11,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're looking at all wrong, you use the tractor/RC to mow, then drive the Mrs. around on the Gator to show her your fine work.:lol:
Blast, I must’ve flunked that lesson at Gizmo’s school of good husbandry!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,631 Posts
Got it. (wink, wink.)

Blast, I must’ve flunked that lesson at Gizmo’s school of good husbandry!
Stay the course CP, usually my wife drives me around showing me all her fine work.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I think you would be well served to buy just the Gator and forgo the mower. You can already mow. Now you need to travel in style. Wouldn't the Gator be a deductible business expense?

·
Corndog Hater
11,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wouldn't the Gator be a deductible business expense?
Absolutely.

I've struggled with this because I'm a small operation. In 20+ years of surveying I have really only thought an ATV/UTV would've been handy a handful of times. In the last 6 months though, I've done 3 surveys (with 1 more pending) where I could've used one. Maybe I'm getting older and my legs more tired? Maybe I'm getting wiser.....work smarter. not harder. I'm pretty sure the latter is correct.:lol: I'm finishing up my last big survey today and told Mrs. CP, no more big ones for a while because I'm too busy with smaller stuff, and quite frankly the smaller stuff is easier money. That being said, I would want to get the most out of Gator. Mowing is practical so that stands right out to me, and I feel that after 13 years of living here, I would quickly tire of just riding it around the perimeter of my field.:unknown:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts