Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spend far more time picking up sticks and branches than my body can handle each week that have fallen from old hickory, oak, and locust trees. Then I mow the lawn with an x758 and 455.

I have never not picked up the sticks because I'm not sure what they'll do to the lawn if I let them be. Has anyone tried mowing them over? I'm afraid that the branches will smother the grass even after they're mowed over.

Just wondering what others do with acres of tree branches and sticks in their lawn.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I spend far more time picking up sticks and branches than my body can handle each week that have fallen from old hickory, oak, and locust trees. Then I mow the lawn with an x758 and 455.

I have never not picked up the sticks because I'm not sure what they'll do to the lawn if I let them be. Has anyone tried mowing them over? I'm afraid that the branches will smother the grass even after they're mowed over.

Just wondering what others do with acres of tree branches and sticks in their lawn.

Thanks.
I pretty much mow over anything maybe 1 inch or less. They get mulched up pretty good!

·
Registered
22,632 Posts
I pretty much mow over anything maybe 1 inch or less. They get mulched up pretty good!
Same here.

This spring was horrendous picking up sticks. Not only our normal over winter debris we had 2-3 violent thumderstorms in May. Each storm was like starting all over.

I can pick up sticks for no more than 5 minutes until my hip goes out on me. It took me weeks on my 3 acres of mowed areas.

This year I picked up even smaller than 1” stuff as it was my first year with a mulch kit. I was concerned about damaging the plastic baffles. But as time went on I started mowing over them with no issues.

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
I use a grabber tool and never leave the seat on my x500 unless the limb is too large to pick up with the grabber (which is few and far between).

grabber.jpg

If we've had a bad storm I will attach my 17P cart and run around the yard grabbing sticks and limbs with my grabber tool and tossing them in the cart - never leaving the seat. After a typical wind storm I will literally FILL the 17P cart with sticks and debris.

My grabber rides with me all the time in the utility bucket on my X500. Any sticks encountered during a routine mow get grabbed and tossed in the bucket which I empty when I am finished.

bucket3.jpg

·
Registered
570 Posts
I use my Thatcher. It does a good job of getting them intertwined in the tines. Of course my property has Cedar and Alder.
When the tines get full, I raise it and clean them out. My method may not work for your type of branches.

I've often thought about mounting a grooming rake in front, on wheels, on hydraulics.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I've got a 5' landscape/York rake that I mount on my 317. Each spring I drag that across my lawn...about an acre, but tooo much to bend over and pick up! I leave a "windrow" at one edge of my lawn and then drag that...after several attempts...to my burn pile.

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts
I am a compulsive stick picker-upper. Probably don't need to, but I do. :banghead:

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I use a grabber tool and never leave the seat on my x500 unless the limb is too large to pick up with the grabber (which is few and far between).

View attachment 630082

If we've had a bad storm I will attach my 17P cart and run around the yard grabbing sticks and limbs with my grabber tool and tossing them in the cart - never leaving the seat. After a typical wind storm I will literally FILL the 17P cart with sticks and debris.

My grabber rides with me all the time in the utility bucket on my X500. Any sticks encountered during a routine mow get grabbed and tossed in the bucket which I empty when I am finished.

View attachment 630090
:mocking:i have one of them grabbers to. i velcroed it fast to the fender on the x475-but i put in on mostly to pick Charley boy's play toys up so i could mow then. this spring has been so wet here--so i need all the help i can get, to help clean the deck out-so if a few sticks get ground up-well so be it:mocking:

·
Premium Member
13,293 Posts
Huh, I must be the odd one out, I pick up almost everything that I see.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,293 Posts
:banghead::lolol:eek:k-i believe ya.
Unfortunately it's the truth, and locust trees are a PITA, make a fence post out of them and it will last 100 yrs but a 5 mph gust of wind comes along and they shed like a playmate at a topless bar. :banghead:

:lol:

·
Registered
22,632 Posts
Unfortunately it's the truth, and locust trees are a PITA, make a fence post out of them and it will last 100 yrs but a 5 mph gust of wind comes along and they shed like a playmate at a topless bar. :banghead:
1/2 my mowing area is surrounded by locust - the other half red oak. It can be still as can be and limb pieces will fall.

Up until this year Mrs. C always did stick pickup before I mowed - for the past 20 years. Now with her bad back and knees she just can’t do it now. I was complaining this spring that the stick Gods were out to get me - as I said it took me weeks to get it all cleaned up. She just stared at me and asked what I thought she was doing all these years. I said that I had no idea there were so many. Yes.......

·
Registered
22,632 Posts

View attachment 630082

View attachment 630090
I bought one of those picker upper things at the dollar store this spring - broke the very first time I tried to pick up a stick. I was really hopeful as I have to find an alternate way to do this.

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
I bought one of those picker upper things at the dollar store this spring - broke the very first time I tried to pick up a stick. I was really hopeful as I have to find an alternate way to do this.

No offense intended but the Dollar Store was undoubtedly the problem. Quite frankly the majority of the grabbers out there are junk. It's hard to find a really decent one. For starters you can systematically dismiss any that fold. I've had mine for several years and it has picked up thousands of sticks, limbs, rocks, debris along with dead birds and small critters. It will even pick up a brick - literally. I'm not saying the one I have is the best one out there but it has turned out to be a good one. I think I paid around $28 for it on Amazon. For the life of me I cannot find it listed at the moment but I'll keep looking.

·
Premium Member
13,293 Posts
No offense intended but the Dollar Store was undoubtedly the problem. Quite frankly the majority of the grabbers out there are junk. It's hard to find a really decent one. For starters you can systematically dismiss any that fold. I've had mine for several years and it has picked up thousands of sticks, limbs, rocks, debris along with dead birds and small critters. It will even pick up a brick - literally. I'm not saying the one I have is the best one out there but it has turned out to be a good one. I think I paid around $28 for it on Amazon. For the life of me I cannot find it listed at the moment but I'll keep looking.
Now those mulch up real nice. :lol:

·
Registered
22,632 Posts
After the one broke I saw a couple others at different stores for $4-$7 and they were exactly the same as the dollar store one. So I just gave up on that idea thinking they were all made the same.

If you do come across it please let me know - I have an order ready for Amazon that I will place in the next week. I really need something as the bending over puts me down in my chair for the rest of the day.

·
Premium Member
13,293 Posts
I will add this though, the occasional stick that does get missed by my pick up crew gets mulched, but I also find that a stick every now and again helps to clean out the deck.

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
After the one broke I saw a couple others at different stores for $4-$7 and they were exactly the same as the dollar store one. So I just gave up on that idea thinking they were all made the same.

If you do come across it please let me know - I have an order ready for Amazon that I will place in the next week. I really need something as the bending over puts me down in my chair for the rest of the day.
Wow... it took a while but I found it. I'm not saying this is the best one there is but I've had it since Oct. 2014 and I'm not kidding when I say it has picked up thousands of objects.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MDMA72/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

If you do a search you'll see that Unger makes several similar grabbers of various lengths. They all seem to have the same grabbing mechanism albeit with different handle/grip designs.

·
Registered
22,632 Posts
Wow... it took a while but I found it. I'm not saying this is the best one there is but I've had it since Oct. 2014 and I'm not kidding when I say it has picked up thousands of objects.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MDMA72/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

If you do a search you'll see that Unger makes several similar grabbers of various lengths. They all seem to have the same grabbing mechanism albeit with different handle/grip designs.
Thanks! Your recommendation is plenty good enough for me.

When browsing through I am going to opt for this one with the lever handle - will be much easier to operate for me I am thinking.

5f4767d5-acfd-45f9-af15-9f7c24d6f2c3._SR150,300_.jpg

1 - 20 of 54 Posts