Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a word, wow. Our road shoulders get mowed once a year by the county (whether it needs it or not :laugh:) but thanks to some good rain over the last several months the grass and weeds are really high and a magnet for people to throw trash in. Our road is a dead end to maybe four or five ranches and I hope the beer cans aren't from one of my neighbor's kids.

So I couldn't stand it any longer and mowed both sides of our small one lane road in front of my property and a little past, only took about two hours to mow maybe the mile or so of total frontage (we have about 1/2 mile frontage on the road.)

The picture was taken with me in the seat of the Z - the grass (Johnson Grass maybe?) was about as tall as my head while seated. I went fairly slowly in the really tall grass and the cut quality was quite amazing, there were very few stems left that needed a second mowing.

The road shoulder has some off camber and ditches in spots and I think a standard pneumatic tire instead of my Tweels would have worked better when I was straddling a narrow ditch - I think I was on the edge of the Tweel with not as much traction as a standard turf tire. However I wouldn't trade my Tweels for anything else - the benefits for me far outweigh the very occasional situation where that tire isn't optimum performing.

Other observations:

- I only run the mower a short distance without hearing protection but that Kohler 27HP fuel injected engine is really loud
- The 60" deck and the engine are a good match, never once did I feel the engine was bogging down even when in the really tall grass
- Side slope (off camber) stability felt good, I'll slowly work up to what I feel is a safe maximum off camber angle

Attachments

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
For what it is worth the carbureted 27HP Kawasaki in my Z950R is loud as heck as well. A lot louder than the 25HP FI Kawasaki in my X585.

I would imagine the Tweel would have deflection like a regular air tire so I don't know that it matters much. Maybe it digs in more as there isn't a sidewall? Never used them so I can't say.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,946 Posts
You are sounding like me with the WOW when I first got the 997, still kind of in awe about the speed even after all
these years.

One thing about the diesel I find it very quiet, the whir of the deck is louder to me. :dunno:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For what it is worth the carbureted 27HP Kawasaki in my Z950R is loud as heck as well. A lot louder than the 25HP FI Kawasaki in my X585.

I would imagine the Tweel would have deflection like a regular air tire so I don't know that it matters much. Maybe it digs in more as there isn't a sidewall? Never used them so I can't say.
Yeah, not sure how the Tweel deflects when straddling a ditch, I would need a camera on the Tweel but its right angle tread edge is way different from a regular turf tire, especially one that's aired down. Just an esoteric discussion.

You are sounding like me with the WOW when I first got the 997, still kind of in awe about the speed even after all
these years.

One thing about the diesel I find it very quiet, the whir of the deck is louder to me. :dunno:
I absolutely love diesels and would have loved a diesel ZTR but I just can't justify that expense for the 3 or 4 acres I mow a few times a year. We had a 2016 diesel Passat that would get about 55mpg on the highway at 65 mph but we sold it back to VW. I was afraid the "fix" would ruin its fuel economy.

Reactions: Old Cajun
1 - 4 of 4 Posts