1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
10,936 Posts
There's no question that is a very terrible thing to have happen but I doubt RIO would have saved him. The best safety switch is the one between your ears.

The bottom line is you do not allow pets and children to be outside while you are mowing the grass.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's no question that is a very terrible thing to have happen but I doubt RIO would have saved him. The best safety switch is the one between your ears.

The bottom line is you do not allow pets and children to be outside while you are mowing the grass.
I'm not debating the do or don't defeat RIO. I was just wanting to point this out. I didn't say be mindful while backing with RIO disabled. I guess I thought to put the RIO remark in before someone said "that's what the RIO is for". I'm like you. ALWAYS check behind you before backing.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Safety First is sometimes the last thing on peoples' minds.

I'll plead guilty to that sometimes. Some days you just want to out there and get it done so you can move on to other projects, and that's when mistakes can happen.

Just remember to do what I consider some safety basics:

1. Walk the yard looking for branches, stones, toys or wildlife (I have almost run over box turtles before).
2. Make sure the area is clear of pets and children.
3. Be mindful of your discharge direction.
4. When mowing near the road exercise caution. If possible disengage blades when traffic passes and stop. Look if you use the road to turn around.
5. If backing and mowing, look everywhere TWICE before doing so. You could look back left and there is someone to the right and when you look back right they move behind you so you never see them!
6. Make sure your equipment is in proper working order!

·
Administrator
20,353 Posts
7. DON’T discharge your clippings towards the road. It’s not only illegal, but throwing objects towards the road and littering the streets with loose and potentially greasy material is dangerous to motor vehicles, especially motorcyclists.

·
Premium Member
10,936 Posts
7. DON’T discharge your clippings towards the road. It’s not only illegal, but throwing objects towards the road and littering the streets with loose and potentially greasy material is dangerous to motor vehicles, especially motorcyclists.
This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Folks around here do it all the time. I too thought it was illegal but apparently in PA it is not. Although I saw on the news where some law maker is introducing a bill that would make it illegal.

Even while in the car I cringe every time I pass by someone mowing right beside the road with the deflector chute removed. I keep expecting to hear a big clunk as a rock or something bounces off the side of my car or hits a window.

That's one thing I like about having a full-time mulch kit installed..... no discharge of debris.

·
Registered
12,521 Posts
This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Folks around here do it all the time. I too thought it was illegal but apparently in PA it is not. Although I saw on the news where some law maker is introducing a bill that would make it illegal.

Even while in the car I cringe every time I pass by someone mowing right beside the road with the deflector chute removed. I keep expecting to hear a big clunk as a rock or something bounces off the side of my car or hits a window.

That's one thing I like about having a full-time mulch kit installed..... no discharge of debris.
Same here, drives me nuts, I have two people very close to our house that do it every time they mow. :banghead::banghead:

I'll have to check with oxpath if it actually illegal here, if it is illegal here in NY it it certainly not enforced. Maybe it's one of those grey areas, if you were to cause a motorcycle to have an accident it can probably come back on you or your homeowners insurance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts