Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 275 ft long steep/deep ditch along the road. It is overgrown with tall grass and weeds. I'm to scared of driving my x738 in the ditch. Probably get high centered with the mower deck. Any ideas? I thought about string trimmers but don't want to spend to much if I'm only going to use it in the ditch twice a year.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have a 275 ft long steep/deep ditch along the road. It is overgrown with tall grass and weeds. I'm to scared of driving my x738 in the ditch. Probably get high centered with the mower deck. Any ideas? I thought about string trimmers but don't want to spend to much if I'm only going to use it in the ditch twice a year.

You want me to come over and show you how to do it? With your tractor of course. lol
At least yours is AWD, I have to make mine AWD. lol
When I first got my X540 I was all timid with it. Now look out. That thing climbs like a Billey goat.

I have "house guests" (nobody I like) this week so I'm itching to get out of here. Just send me a plain ticket.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You want me to come over and show you how to do it? With your tractor of course. lol
At least yours is AWD, I have to make mine AWD. lol
When I first got my X540 I was all timid with it. Now look out. That thing climbs like a Billey goat.

I have "house guests" (nobody I like) this week so I'm itching to get out of here. Just send me a plain ticket.
My ditch is shaped like a big V. If you jump in the ditch you will have to climb out of it in some areas.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Is there any way you can post pictures of your problem? I think you will get more responses to your question.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
My ditch is shaped like a big V. If you jump in the ditch you will have to climb out of it in some areas.
Like most peeps I hate string trimming. So if it can be run over with a tractor I'll find a way. Like at my side job property that I cut. It has a big hill between it and the lot next door. I wait until the neighbor cuts his but he only goes so high. Then I drive into his lot and climb up the hill. Up & down, move over till I get to the end. If he hasn't cut yet I just side hill it as far over the side as I dare to go.

The little bit I can't get with the tractor I use the walk behind mower on. You want a mower with at least rear wheel drive. Front wheel drive is useless except for flat lots. Whatever the walk behind can't get the string trimmer finishes.

At my old house I made a trail behind the sand mound. I could drive my old L108 up the back side to cut it. Was able to access 2/3 of it. It was just to steep to cut sideways. Previously it was all string trimmer work.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
I agree, pictures would help. Would you consider attacking the weeds (assuming they're broadleaf) with a trimec or 2, 4-d product, and let the grass grow?

I've been hitting our neighbors road ditch hard for the past several years to the point that it's now brome, orchard, birdsfoot trefoil, timothy, and with a little alfalfa. Not nearly as nice as mowed grass, but it certainly does not look unkept. Each spring my neighbor burns his pasture and with that, the dead ditch grass returns to carbon.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree, pictures would help. Would you consider attacking the weeds (assuming they're broadleaf) with a trimec or 2, 4-d product, and let the grass grow?

I've been hitting our neighbors road ditch hard for the past several years to the point that it's now brome, orchard, birdsfoot trefoil, timothy, and with a little alfalfa. Not nearly as nice as mowed grass, but it certainly does not look unkept. Each spring my neighbor burns his pasture and with that, the dead ditch grass returns to carbon.
That is a good idea. I would like to control the weeds and let the brome take over. But it is going to require a lot of spraying to kill most of the weeds.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Got a weed wacker at work with the Polycut blades.Does a great job on heavy grass and cattails.
https://m.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/trimmer-heads-and-blades/
I have the 4 & 8 tipped metal blades for my Combi tool. They work better then any plastic heads that I ever used. However I never tried the Stihl one. I skipped over it and went right to the metal ones. The thing that I really like about them is they don't sling & splatter the grass. It pretty much just falls over.
The 4 blade is best for heavy grass.
The 8 blade is better for the bigger stuff.

·
Registered
41 Posts
for this resaon

This is the main reason I justified buying my x738 tractor a way of cutting my ditches. My ditch is very steep my other tractor would not do it not 4 wheels. But this baby my x738 piece of cake for this one. I did get high sided on the deck the first time now I raise the deck to the top and cut with it in the transport hight.This tractor has it does it all. My ditch is in front of my house I hated seeing it dead brown all summer long if you spray it with weed killer. You need to practice with your tractor and when you feel confortable with what it can do and it can do a lot more than you think. This is a beast of a tractor and being lower to the ground than a cut tractor gives it an edge.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Like others have asked, post some pictures so we can better assess your situation.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Like others have asked, post some pictures so we can better assess your situation.
The original post was from Aug 2017...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Wakey dead thread...lol

Myself, I don't own the ditch, so I don't mow it. I use too for about 20 years with my old mowers. Not the x739.
Heck, when the road crew comes by with the nice machine that could easily get both sides of the ditch, but they don't. I'm not either.
I use to offer them a 6-pack of beer. When I ask, they look at me like....mow it yourself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts