Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4610 with 84" grooming mower I use for big area and I have a z950m with 72" deck for around my house and pool but I have a steep hill that I mow side to side. If I go down the hill I can keep it slow enough MOST of the time but at time the rear wheel lock up and slide tearing of my grass. Hasn't been a big issue till this year. We have been getting some heavy rain so each spot I either turned sharp on or slid down is eroding my yard away. I have 12 psi of air and have been reading up on the tweels but not sure they will help. Do you guys think adding ballast to the wheels will help or hurt? Or should I look for a smaller 4 wheel drive tractor with a mid deck? I will try and post a pic of the hill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,982 Posts
I can back down and ride up the steep hills around here with no issues. Right until the front end gets real light. You can add weights to help. But the more you add to the front to help mow up and down hills, it makes the Z want to ditch dive even more if you side-hill mow.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can back down and ride up the steep hills around here with no issues. Right until the front end gets real light. You can add weights to help. But the more you add to the front to help mow up and down hills, it makes the Z want to ditch dive even more if you side-hill mow.
Ya I can go up hill perfect as well. My problem is I have trees with landscape borders and as I am going down hill I need to turn left and go sideways then back up hill to go around perimeter but as soon as I turn my left wheel stops and slides tearing up grass then it rains and washes it away.

·
Administrator
20,982 Posts
I had to learn certain patterns on how to mow just to work with the Z and the terrain. If you can't make it work, then you may have to look at a different machine as you were originally asking about.

Can you post a picture or two of the area in question?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to learn certain patterns on how to mow just to work with the Z and the terrain. If you can't make it work, then you may have to look at a different machine as you were originally asking about.

Can you post a picture or two of the area in question?
Ya I will get some better pics tomorrow. I have adjusted my pattern but there are a few spots where no matter how careful I am the wheel still slides. May add ballast to the tires and try that first

·
Registered
155 Posts
How much area are you talking about? And any idea on the grade or angle? Depending on the pitch of the slope, ballast may not do any good because once you lose traction, these mowers slide. If you're beyond the slope mowing capacity, added ballast will just make you slide faster. My max slope is 30 degrees, or nearly a 60% grade, dry. I go straight down and back up. If it's wet, I don't do it. I've slide down that hill before and it's about a 75' ride. I'm not worried about tipping, I'm worried about hitting a tree. My ZTR weighs in at 1800lbs, so weight isn't the issue. If I put lugged tires on, I know I could go up the hill but the turf damage would be major. To me, there's no way around this. Wet or muddy, I have to wait for the area to dry out. Or use the string trimmer.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much area are you talking about? And any idea on the grade or angle? Depending on the pitch of the slope, ballast may not do any good because once you lose traction, these mowers slide. If you're beyond the slope mowing capacity, added ballast will just make you slide faster. My max slope is 30 degrees, or nearly a 60% grade, dry. I go straight down and back up. If it's wet, I don't do it. I've slide down that hill before and it's about a 75' ride. I'm not worried about tipping, I'm worried about hitting a tree. My ZTR weighs in at 1800lbs, so weight isn't the issue. If I put lugged tires on, I know I could go up the hill but the turf damage would be major. To me, there's no way around this. Wet or muddy, I have to wait for the area to dry out. Or use the string trimmer.
I have not figured the slope yet. I will get some measurements and figure it out. Adding ballast and making it worse was one of my concerns as well.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,129 Posts
The steep parts I mow up then back down then mow up again, as dieselshadow does.
I also bolted two, 1/2" x 3" steel plates to the front of our Z915B. One was not enough, three was too many, two was just right. No wheelies here and does side hill better.

Carriage bolts up front...

Z915B Front Ballast (1).JPG

Backside looking through floor board...

Z915B Front Ballast (2).JPG

·
Administrator
20,982 Posts
The rear weight bumper really adds some good traction as well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The steep parts I mow up then back down then mow up again, as dieselshadow does.
I also bolted two, 1/2" x 3" steel plates to the front of our Z915B. One was not enough, three was too many, two was just right. No wheelies here and does side hill better.

Carriage bolts up front...

View attachment 402834

Backside looking through floor board...

View attachment 402842
That's a good idea. No wheelie issue but may help me on a couple places I have

·
Administrator
20,982 Posts
I do have the bumper. I assume there is only one size?
Yeah, the weight bumper is only an option on the Z915B/E's. Standard on all other commercial models.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Here are a few pics

Well you have a nice line of bushes to help slow you down. If they don't stop you the fence will. lol

·
Registered
155 Posts
Judging by your fence, the grade is about 25%, angle 15 degrees. Below is a nice chart that helps. Your nice turf doesn't help with traction. Your original question was in regard to adding ballast, or weight. If the ground is soft, depending on soil type, you could sink in. That's my issue. We have loamy soil versus clay and I sink if the ground is too soft. On the other hand, if your soil is clay or rocky, you won't hurt much. I personally think it's more traction than anything and once you slip, no amount of weight is going to help. And JD doesn't really address this much but there aren't weight sets for ztrs like there are for tractors. I think these slopes aren't supposed to exist in their world.

I dont have any issues with front weight but my ztr is set up a bit differently. I go up my steep slopes and the only time I popped my front end was when I caught my ROPS on a limb. I just don't want to add any more weight so that I avoid sinking in the soft stuff. I just pulled my ztr out last weekend for the second time this year and it's a pain.

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,129 Posts
That's a good idea. No wheelie issue but may help me on a couple places I have
For me, backing down a steep slope, stopping mid slope and going forward is when wheelies come into play.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Judging by your fence, the grade is about 25%, angle 15 degrees. Below is a nice chart that helps. Your nice turf doesn't help with traction. Your original question was in regard to adding ballast, or weight. If the ground is soft, depending on soil type, you could sink in. That's my issue. We have loamy soil versus clay and I sink if the ground is too soft. On the other hand, if your soil is clay or rocky, you won't hurt much. I personally think it's more traction than anything and once you slip, no amount of weight is going to help. And JD doesn't really address this much but there aren't weight sets for ztrs like there are for tractors. I think these slopes aren't supposed to exist in their world.

I dont have any issues with front weight but my ztr is set up a bit differently. I go up my steep slopes and the only time I popped my front end was when I caught my ROPS on a limb. I just don't want to add any more weight so that I avoid sinking in the soft stuff. I just pulled my ztr out last weekend for the second time this year and it's a pain.

My ground is rocky so sinking is not an issue here. May fill tires with water to test and if is doesn't help I can drain them and if it does I can add the proper fluid. I'm running 12 psi in my tires but may try 10psi. Anyone running less than 12 psi?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
My ground is rocky so sinking is not an issue here. May fill tires with water to test and if is doesn't help I can drain them and if it does I can add the proper fluid. I'm running 12 psi in my tires but may try 10psi. Anyone running less than 12 psi?

At 10 psi my bota would pop the tire off the bead.

·
Registered
23,308 Posts
Check with your dealer. Most zero-turns have a front weight kit available. They are used for ballast when you have a collection system on the back.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts