Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I lived in the city all my life. Mowed with a walk behind mower that only cost me 1 gallon of gas, 20oz of engine oil and a spark plug every season.
I moved out to the country last fall. Bought a new x738 with a 60hc mower deck and a 54" snow plow with hydraulic kit.
Then the spending bug hit me. Bought the click-n-go attachment with 6 suitcase weights just in case if I need extra traction for plowing snow. Bought the arm rest kit. I reget buying the arm rest because I wish they were longer so they would fit me better. Buying maintenance kits, extra set of mower blades, 5 gallons of transmission fluid with filter. Today I ordered a mulching kit for my mower deck and front wheel fenders to help keep my mower deck cleaner. Then I will probably buy an extra set of mulching blades. Plus I already used 15 gallons of gas this year and mowing season not even halfway over.
Welcome to country Life......

·
Registered
741 Posts
I lived in the city all my life. Mowed with a walk behind mower that only cost me 1 gallon of gas, 20oz of engine oil and a spark plug every season.
I moved out to the country last fall. Bought a new x738 with a 60hc mower deck and a 54" snow plow with hydraulic kit.
Then the spending bug hit me. Bought the click-n-go attachment with 6 suitcase weights just in case if I need extra traction for plowing snow. Bought the arm rest kit. I reget buying the arm rest because I wish they were longer so they would fit me better. Buying maintenance kits, extra set of mower blades, 5 gallons of transmission fluid with filter. Today I ordered a mulching kit for my mower deck and front wheel fenders to help keep my mower deck cleaner. Then I will probably buy an extra set of mulching blades. Plus I already used 15 gallons of gas this year and mowing season not even halfway over.
It's not only expensive, it's time consuming. I spent over 6 hours mowing today and didn't even get around to trimming. And, you have to be a part-time mechanic and maintenance man.

Mrs. Rod and I wouldn't have it any other way. Nothing beats watching the grandkids running wild. Besides them, all we want to see from our back yard is the pool, grass, trees, hills and the barn-- NOT NEIGHBORS.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
All you have to do is figure out what you use to have to pay that you don't know and it will get cheaper and you will feel better :)

Any HOA fees? Any extra in city limit taxes, fees, etc? Gotta be something? Make up stuff lol

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Well you can always go back to the push mower. lol

I'll take that 738 off your hands if you don't know what to do with it. My trailer is already hooked up to my Wrangler. Be right over.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,219 Posts
15 gallons?? That's it? You do use it right? I go through 20 gallons of diesel every 4 weeks in the warm time of the year. In the cold times I go through 20 gallons total. I'd go stare crazy if all I used was what you use. I think you need more attachments. We can help you spend that money for you. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
We live outside the city limits so when we bought the tractor our tax rate was only 1.83%. If we had our choice we would live at our farm with no neighbors close by, maybe one day

·
Registered
515 Posts
15 gallons?? That's it? You do use it right? I go through 20 gallons of diesel every 4 weeks in the warm time of the year. In the cold times I go through 20 gallons total. I'd go stare crazy if all I used was what you use. I think you need more attachments. We can help you spend that money for you. :laugh:
Y'all are all making me jealous. I'll go thru 20 gallons in 4 hours. Last two days been burning around 25-30 gallons a day on this mini ex

Brett

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
We moved to the "country" in 91 and would not have it any other way. Both kids are gone now but close enough if we need help. Wife talks about down sizing but I ignore her. Pretending I don't hear her. I love it. :bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Registered
825 Posts
We moved to the "country" in 91 and would not have it any other way. Both kids are gone now but close enough if we need help. Wife talks about down sizing but I ignore her. Pretending I don't hear her. I love it. :bigthumb::bigthumb:
When I'm too old to take care of this place I'll hire someone to do it. No way, never moving back to a city house.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,219 Posts
Y'all are all making me jealous. I'll go thru 20 gallons in 4 hours. Last two days been burning around 25-30 gallons a day on this mini ex

Brett
I wouldn't mine that problem for a few days. :laugh: I could make real good use of it here. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Interesting- I thought the phrase was "stir crazy".:gaah: Have I had it wrong, all along?

·
Premium Member
14,408 Posts
Just think if he would have bought the x758 ,,instead of 15 gal of gas guessing 10-12 gallons of diesel.

But if he keeps reading and posting on the forum we can help him spend his money.:gizmo::gizmo::hide:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,219 Posts
Interesting- I thought the phrase was "stir crazy".:gaah: Have I had it wrong, all along?
Nope, you got that right but it has a different meaning. Stare crazy is where you're just sitting there and you start staring and can't blink or don't for some reason I haven't figured out yet. :dunno:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Ok, I'll bite. How much is this worth?

No neighbors
Dogs can run loose
Gardening - Great food
Low stress
No traffic
Farm animals
Plenty of seat time
Wildlife of all kinds
Clean air
No city noise
Walk outside and shoot my guns
Gators and 4 wheelers
The sky at night
The pride of owning property

And many more. To me it's priceless.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
While I sometimes get a little tired of there always being something to do living out in the sticks I wouldn't have it any other way either. I only put about 30-40 hours a year on my 955. But that suits me fine. The other machines get time on them too.

Living in the city. No way no how. Can't do it. I can see one neighbor. And that is ok as they are my mother and father in law. Hopefully if it all works out the way we'd like our son will end up with their house at some point.

Then when We get old he can help us.

Our hour is a little bigger then we need. But when we built it we put everything the Mrs and I would need in the first floor. So I'm staying until someone has to carry me out. :)

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
In addition to what others have said the benefits of living in the country has MANY intangible benefits. My wife was a city girl all her life, we moved to the country and it's taken her about 10 years to openly admit that she could not return to city life.

Your dilemma reminds me of the kids book series If You Give:
  • If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
  • If You Give a Moose a Muffin
  • If You Give a Pig a Pancake
  • If You Take a Mouse to the Movies
  • If You Take a Mouse to School
  • If You Give a Pig a Party
  • If You Give a Cat a Cupcake
  • If You Give a Dog a Donut
  • If You Give a Mouse a Brownie
There really is no end, just lots connected series of events.

Unfortunately no one said it was cheap!!!
:gizmo:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The people that use their tractor a lot are probably the ones that are home everyday, retired, farmers or just have a lot more free time to waste. My situation I have I job that I have been traveling a lot recently. The past several months I only get home 1 or 2 days a week. Living out of a motel room the rest of the time. When I do get home the last thing I want to do is spend all day on the tractor when I only see my wife and kids (3 and 4 year olds) 1 or 2 days a week. So it is a lot of time on my mower for me since I don't have a whole lot of time that Im home.

Besides all of that. My point was that it is a big jump for someone who lived in the city all their life to moving out in the country.

Im waiting for the right position to open up so I can work close to home. When that time comes that I'm can come home everyday. Then I will spend more quality time with my family and tractor. Then I can start enjoying the country Life.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Ok, I'll bite. How much is this worth?

No neighbors
Dogs can run loose
Gardening - Great food
Low stress
No traffic
Farm animals
Plenty of seat time
Wildlife of all kinds
Clean air
No city noise
Walk outside and shoot my guns
Gators and 4 wheelers
The sky at night
The pride of owning property

And many more. To me it's priceless.
You forgot... Being able to pee outside and no one cares!! :good2:

Sweetie has been hinting that she wants to sell and move to a condo. I've been working a LOT for the last 18 months and am getting behind on some maintenance things. I keep telling her that there's no way we're moving back to town! We're only on 5 acres, but it's wooded and infested with invasive species that I'm trying to get taken care of.

Actually hiring a "landscaper" to come in and spruce up some beds, etc. I can bill more money per hour than the landscaper costs, so it's a good way to get things done. Plus I don't really like being on my hands and knees pulling weeds. One thing I won't hire out is the tractor work!!

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
I love the sarchasm ultra. Maybe get the three point next month!! :gizmo: :laugh:

·
Registered
773 Posts
The people that use their tractor a lot are probably the ones that are home everyday, retired, farmers or just have a lot more free time to waste. My situation I have I job that I have been traveling a lot recently. The past several months I only get home 1 or 2 days a week. Living out of a motel room the rest of the time. When I do get home the last thing I want to do is spend all day on the tractor when I only see my wife and kids (3 and 4 year olds) 1 or 2 days a week. So it is a lot of time on my mower for me since I don't have a whole lot of time that Im home.

Besides all of that. My point was that it is a big jump for someone who lived in the city all their life to moving out in the country.

Im waiting for the right position to open up so I can work close to home. When that time comes that I'm can come home everyday. Then I will spend more quality time with my family and tractor. Then I can start enjoying the country Life.
We have all made big sacrifices for our family. Hoping for you that it gets better quickly. Last city I worked in I spent 2 hrs each way commuting. Dreaming of being on a tractor. I love the quiet. And all the Media BS is non invasive here. I sleep better when I am physically exhausted vs. mentally exhausted.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts