Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ground is saturated from recent rain but leaves are somewhat dry having fallen from the last wind and rain. Been living here 38 years and leaf cleanup this year is more difficult than ever. Wish I had a four wheel drive lawn tractor for these conditions as an Agrifab leaf vac is being pulled by my GX345. Have not used it much this year as we acquired a Zero turn to mow with. Started using it since it has a bagger attachment but found it useless in the mud. The old GX345 did great, never got stuck.

18GTC2Y+SOu8hBqvbXyUMg.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
Yikes! I think I would have given it a few days to dry out before doing leaf cleanup.

·
Super Moderator
8,042 Posts
Same here. I’ve got some standing water from the recent rains. The leaves can and will wait for things to dry out before I tackle them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Yikes! I think I would have given it a few days to dry out before doing leaf cleanup.
We are going to get snow Friday and accumulations around next Tuesday with rain in between.
Ohio weather has sucked bad all summer...
I used my backpack blower for several hours today myself, I think I would have sunk my scut in my yard 4 wheel drive or not.

·
Corndog Hater
11,685 Posts
Well Dan, you’re not alone. At this point, finishing leaf clean up is at the bottom of my list because my lawn is just like yours, WET!

·
Registered
11,883 Posts
Well Dan, you’re not alone. At this point, finishing lead clean up is at the bottom of my list because my lawn is just like yours, WET!
I've given mine until Spring 2019. I don't think I've mowed since early October because it is so wet, it makes a mess.:banghead:

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Not sure why so hard to find but, can anyone tell me for your area rain fall totals ytd vs average?
My yard is a muddy mess as well.....and 2 more rainstorms in forecast

Hope the pattern does not translate into snow.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This is just my first round of leaf cleanup, mostly maple leaves. Next will be after Thanksgiving when the oak leaves fall. Over the years I have learned that getting them when they are dry is best. Over all it was a good day, no break downs or damage done. The Agrifab leaf vac is nearly 25 years old and still going strong. Will go in a different direction next time just to show my SIL that I do not always mow like a farmer.

·
Premium Member
13,316 Posts
Not sure why so hard to find but, can anyone tell me for your area rain fall totals ytd vs average?
My yard is a muddy mess as well.....and 2 more rainstorms in forecast

Hope the pattern does not translate into snow.....
Here in central New York

49.69 year to date
33.95 average year to date as of today.

·
Premium Member
7,692 Posts
It;s been a wet fall here too. Leaves are too wet to worry about. :flag_of_truce:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,404 Posts
I've given mine until Spring 2019. I don't think I've mowed since early October because it is so wet, it makes a mess.:banghead:
Same here.

·
Registered
629 Posts
This is just my first round of leaf cleanup, mostly maple leaves. Next will be after Thanksgiving when the oak leaves fall. Over the years I have learned that getting them when they are dry is best. Over all it was a good day, no break downs or damage done. The Agrifab leaf vac is nearly 25 years old and still going strong. Will go in a different direction next time just to show my SIL that I do not always mow like a farmer.
I have new loam, new lawn, and seed still growing. I also have leaves covering the 1/2 acre just planted. We've had record amounts of rain up here in New England around Boston, and as much as I would like to clear the leaves, aerate and overseed, I won't.

I can't justify a summer of labor being destroyed to pick up the leaves. What I will do is let the land dry for a few days. THEN, maybe pull the leaves and overseed, but I'll test the tractor on a corner and if it sinks in too much wait longer, or wait until spring.

What I will do is roll the property IF it dries enough to do so, and I recommend you do the same. That's a mess, and for the life of me I don't understand why you continued after the first pass and seeing what the results would be.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Wish I had a four wheel drive lawn tractor for these conditions
You would then have 4 drive wheels ruining the lawn instead of only 2.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have a similar look in my yard after attempting to clean up leaves. I decided it was too wet and wasn't worth the ruts. I was able to get 2.5 containers full in my cyclone vac on the dryer area of the property.
I think it will freeze before it ever dries out, another soaking rain for this Friday night :banghead:

If it gets to a point I will blow them into a pile and use the suction hose and be done with most of it. My compost pile needs to get to work now.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,263 Posts
Only clean up I'll be doing with the yard is getting the pine needles off of it. Leaves...they get mowed next spring.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I have new loam, new lawn, and seed still growing. I also have leaves covering the 1/2 acre just planted. We've had record amounts of rain up here in New England around Boston, and as much as I would like to clear the leaves, aerate and overseed, I won't.

I can't justify a summer of labor being destroyed to pick up the leaves. What I will do is let the land dry for a few days. THEN, maybe pull the leaves and overseed, but I'll test the tractor on a corner and if it sinks in too much wait longer, or wait until spring.

What I will do is roll the property IF it dries enough to do so, and I recommend you do the same. That's a mess, and for the life of me I don't understand why you continued after the first pass and seeing what the results would be.
From my experience, just somehow get the leaves off. If your lawn is partially established, aerating will just tear out much of what you have already done. I would keep a roller off the new lawn as compaction inhibits root growth. Over the winter, the natural freeze/thaw will aerate it for you. If you overseed now, the seed probably won't germinate until next spring, but winters freeze/thaw cycles will help bury the seed for better germination in the spring. Whether you over seed now or next spring, putting down a little extra straw will help protect the delicate grass that already developed.

I went thru a similar situation this year. No matter how much I watered or how much it rained, the summer heat killed off half of it. Like you, I didn't want a summers worth of labor go to waste. I overseed in the begining of October, so mine had time to germinate. One thing I do know for sure is when it comes to establishing a new lawn, patience is a virtue.

Good luck and chime back in next summer letting us know how good it looks. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
I mowed and chopped leaves last Friday and Saturday then Sunday we had a heavy rain and wind storm and more are down. Have snow coming tonight so last night I was going to go home and chop them up but losing the hour it was dark and 34 degrees so it will have to wait.

·
Registered
629 Posts
From my experience, just somehow get the leaves off. If your lawn is partially established, aerating will just tear out much of what you have already done. I would keep a roller off the new lawn as compaction inhibits root growth. Over the winter, the natural freeze/thaw will aerate it for you. If you overseed now, the seed probably won't germinate until next spring, but winters freeze/thaw cycles will help bury the seed for better germination in the spring. Whether you over seed now or next spring, putting down a little extra straw will help protect the delicate grass that already developed.

I went thru a similar situation this year. No matter how much I watered or how much it rained, the summer heat killed off half of it. Like you, I didn't want a summers worth of labor go to waste. I overseed in the begining of October, so mine had time to germinate. One thing I do know for sure is when it comes to establishing a new lawn, patience is a virtue.

Good luck and chime back in next summer letting us know how good it looks. :thumbup1gif:
That's really good advice. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
BOBL

Just noticed that you are a Vietnam Veteran :usa

Thank you for your service.

jdforever

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I did the waiting thing. I now have about 2” of snow on my leaves and some trees still have some leaves on them. I will likely have to wait till spring to clean up the leaves. Just the way it is some years.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts