Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone has posted about this. I am considering buying the mulch kit for my tractor, I was curious if anyone else has it and is it worth the money. I have a large area i am cutting and the grass clippings are everywhere, I am hoping that this will fix my problem.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Not sure if anyone has posted about this. I am considering buying the mulch kit for my tractor, I was curious if anyone else has it and is it worth the money. I have a large area i am cutting and the grass clippings are everywhere, I am hoping that this will fix my problem.
It is absolutely worth the money. It's very easy to install; it has three bolts attached to it that extend through holes already in the mower deck. Just put on the supplied nuts. Switch the original blades for the mulching blades that come in the package, and off you go to mow.

Before I went for the mulching kit, I spent around 2 years mowing 5 acres of pasture plus a small yard. The only, very slight, negative I've noticed is that Ihave to go a bit slower when the grass is thickest to get good mulching without the mower bogging down. That only little negative is way more than offset by the lack of visible rows of grass clippings, the smaller clippings which decompose more quickly, and the suppression of grass and dirt blowing back on me as I mow. That last one is huge for me. I can't comment about leaf mulching, as I am mowing horse pastures with a few pine trees in them.

I received nothing for this positive review.:hi:

·
Registered
74 Posts
It is absolutely worth the money.

Before I went for the mulching kit, I spent around 2 years mowing 5 acres of pasture plus a small yard. :

Doc,
You mow 5 acres with the mulching kit on? I have around that of bahia that definitely leaves rows. Never thought of a mulching kit. Do the blades still last a decent amount of time?

2018 1025R, 120R Loader, 60D MMM, BB2048, RC2048

·
Registered
913 Posts
Doc,
You mow 5 acres with the mulching kit on? I have around that of bahia that definitely leaves rows. Never thought of a mulching kit. Do the blades still last a decent amount of time?

I'm still on my first set of muching blades, and honestly haven't checked yet for sharpness. I've been using the mulching kit about 6 months.

I mow the pastures on the highest setting, leaving the MMM in the fully up and locked position. The pastures are coastal bermuda grass, which has pretty thin blades. During the winter I put out a mix of 3 winter ryes to use as forage. The winter rye (Flying A, Winterhawk, and Big Shot) has much wider blades than the standard ornamental winter rye or the coastal bermuda The horses love it, BTW.

I mow the winter rye at either 6 or 7.5 inches with a rotary cutter, and just use the MMM with the mulch kit to do the fence lines and around the edges of my riding arena. Doing the winter rye with the MMM is slow going, I usually put the 1025R in low range at full RPMs to keep from stalling the tractor. That's why I bought the RC, the tractor was struggling a lot with the winter rye, even before the mulching kit.

Mowing the coastal bermuda I can use high range at as fast a speed as my back can handle.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm still on my first set of muching blades, and honestly haven't checked yet for sharpness. I've been using the mulching kit about 6 months.

I mow the pastures on the highest setting, leaving the MMM in the fully up and locked position. The pastures are coastal bermuda grass, which has pretty thin blades. During the winter I put out a mix of 3 winter ryes to use as forage. The winter rye (Flying A, Winterhawk, and Big Shot) has much wider blades than the standard ornamental winter rye or the coastal bermuda The horses love it, BTW.

I mow the winter rye at either 6 or 7.5 inches with a rotary cutter, and just use the MMM with the mulch kit to do the fence lines and around the edges of my riding arena. Doing the winter rye with the MMM is slow going, I usually put the 1025R in low range at full RPMs to keep from stalling the tractor. That's why I bought the RC, the tractor was struggling a lot with the winter rye, even before the mulching kit.

Mowing the coastal bermuda I can use high range at as fast a speed as my back can handle.
I gotcha. I've got about 2 acres of power line I do with thr rotary cutter...kinda expensive implement for 5 to 6 times a year, but I ain't going anywhere anytime soon and I'm happier with it clean and manageable. . My 5ish acre front "yard" is the blade killer bahia and I try to keep it about 3 inches or so. The mulching kit would probably eat my lunch after good rains and that stuff 18" high if I don't jump on it quick. I just try to keep it neat around the house, drive and road. The "middle" away from everything will just have to stay clumpy during the big growing season. . I've mowed with the MMM 6 times and I can already see some wear on the blades but it's going about dormant right now. About 3 more cuts and I'm done!! Whew!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I don't have the mulching kit but I bought some Oregon Gator mulching blades. Today I trimmed up a weeping willow that was hanging to the ground in some spots. I trimmed to the mid point on the ROPS. After trimming I mowed close to the ground around the tree and didn't have to rake up any leaves.

It sure looks better.

Meanwhile is a 30' Grady White.

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
I would never mow without the mulching kit again, has no problem cutting 3" of grass and doing a pretty darn good job of mulching it with very minimal amount left.
I'll second that, one of the best add ons I've purchased, no visible clippings at all even when mother nature lets it get away once in awhile. :good2:

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I love the mulch kit. I think it improves the cut of the 1025r 54" mower and it does a nice job with leaves.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Where are you located and what size deck?

·
Registered
981 Posts
good to know, I assumed they would come with one as mulching in todays world is a no brainer

·
Registered
981 Posts
I love the mulch kit. I think it improves the cut of the 1025r 54" mower and it does a nice job with leaves.
I think it was leaves thirty years ago that made me start mulching. Got tired of raking them up then one day the light bulb above my head lit and I've been mulching ever since

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have the mulch kit and blades (only used twice) for the 54D deck. Since my new 2025R has a 60" deck I have no use for them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Seems that replies to this thread talk primarily about the mulch kit for the MMM. I've got a pull-behind Frontier GM1048E and I'm considering a mulch kit for it. Does anybody have any experience with the kit on a Frontier GM? I posted a thread here a while back, but got no replies so I'm thinking it's not a common setup. I have tried mulching leaves on my wooded 5 acres and didn't like the results - seemed a lot of mulched and unmulched material blows out the back.

·
Corndog Hater
11,253 Posts
Seems that replies to this thread talk primarily about the mulch kit for the MMM. I've got a pull-behind Frontier GM1048E and I'm considering a mulch kit for it. Does anybody have any experience with the kit on a Frontier GM? I posted a thread here a while back, but got no replies so I'm thinking it's not a common setup. I have tried mulching leaves on my wooded 5 acres and didn't like the results - seemed a lot of mulched and unmulched material blows out the back.
I know BigJim55 has a mulching rear finish mower, but he's the only one here that i can think of. Maybe try reaching out to him for his thoughts.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know BigJim55 has a mulching rear finish mower, but he's the only one here that i can think of. Maybe try reaching out to him for his thoughts.:thumbup1gif:
Tried sending BigJim55 a PM yesterday, but am not getting a response so maybe I did it wrong. BigJim55, if you're reading this, could you chime in please? Thanks!

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Tried sending BigJim55 a PM yesterday, but am not getting a response so maybe I did it wrong. BigJim55, if you're reading this, could you chime in please? Thanks!

someone sent me a PM a week or so ago, and i replied back to it. my frontier RFM has no plastic shrouds to say around the blades like say the MMM does, that these fellas show installing them. my FRM has mulching blades on it only. but as i said in the PM, it does a fantastic job IF the grass is normal height. if it gets a hair to high, then in a few days i have to go back over it then, so that nuthing shows on the ground.

hope this helps ur decision.

IF, IF i was buying again, i would step up to the next grade of RFM--and get the rear discharge with the little chains on it.

my salesman told me this was a rear discharge:banghead: which in a way it is, but not like i thought it was gonna be:banghead: live and learn for sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
... it does a fantastic job IF the grass is normal height. if it gets a hair to high, then in a few days i have to go back over it then, so that nuthing shows on the ground.
IF, IF i was buying again, i would step up to the next grade of RFM--and get the rear discharge with the little chains on it.
Thanks for the info. I was really more interested in how it performed mulching leaves than grass. (My grass is not too thick, so not worried about mulching it.) Mine is a rear discharge and doesn't have the little chains on it. When I tried mulching leaves last week, it tended to blow (mostly) mulched leaves all over the place out the back. I'd like a little more of a controlled discharge and am thinking the kit would help in that respect. However, I've not seen anyone here report on how well it works on the pull-behind variety. Also, I'm wondering how badly it will bog down in thick leaves, as my 5 acres is mostly trees and I've got mountains of leaves. I usually have to float the deck until I've got the piles knocked down.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts