Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do they make mulching blades for the 60D auto connect that I have on my 1025R? Part #'s ?

I have the gator blades on my older smaller JD riding mower and like them.

Thanks,
Corey

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
Do they make mulching blades for the 60D auto connect that I have on my 1025R? Part #'s ?

I have the gator blades on my older smaller JD riding mower and like them.

Thanks,
Corey
There is a mulch kit and mulching blades for the 60d MMM. I don't have the part numbers handy but the kit works quite well. I use it about 90% of my mowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a mulch kit and mulching blades for the 60d MMM. I don't have the part numbers handy but the kit works quite well. I use it about 90% of my mowing.

Is the mulching kit just to cover the rubber discharge chute?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
The mulch kit is actually three mulching blades and two metal brackets that get mounted under the mower deck.

To elaborate on CT's comment, the metal brackets are baffles that push the grass back down off the top of the deck into the blades so the grass can be recut. They also control the clippings from moving across the deck and into another blade.

Reactions: Levi

·
Premium Member
7,816 Posts
Search eBay for: Oregon 396-730.
That it is the G6 version of the gator blade. You can buy a 3 blade set for under $55 shipped from many sellers.

Reactions: Levi and RandyM

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Search eBay for: Oregon 396-730.
That it is the G6 version of the gator blade. You can buy a 3 blade set for under $55 shipped from many sellers.
I just bought the oregon blades for $55. I'm going to try them before buying the mulch kit for $300. Doesn't have to be perfect just chop up the clippings a little more.

Thanks,
Corey

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To elaborate on CT's comment, the metal brackets are baffles that push the grass back down off the top of the deck into the blades so the grass can be recut. They also control the clippings from moving across the deck and into another blade.
That makes more sense for being $300. I figured it was just a metal plate that covered the discharge chute.

Thanks

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
That makes more sense for being $300. I figured it was just a metal plate that covered the discharge chute.

Thanks
I got the mulch kit when I bought the tractor. Didn't pay $300 but about 180. I've actually thought about a set of the Gator mulching blades in combination with the mulch baffles.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Last fall I bent one of the thin factory blades on my 60" deck. I replaced the factory blades with a set of Gator blades. I had to remove app 1/16" of material from the ends of the blades because they touched while running. They cut satisfactorily...as well as the factory blades did, but I don't see the grass particles as being any smaller or more chopped up. I do think that they make more, or a different, noise than the factory blades made.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The mulching blades that came with the 60D mulching kit were nice and beefy. The kit I purchased was part # BM23978. There are two kits and thus two part numbers for a 60D mulching kit depending on your mower deck serial #. You will see this noted in the JD online or Green farm parts catalogs.

By the way, the kit and blades work great. Very pleased with the purchase. $243 for the BM23978 from Greenfarmparts earlier this year. The other part number is slightly more expensive.

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
I have the 54" deck and the kits are the same just a size smaller. I ordered the mulching kit when I bought the tractor. it is heavy duty, never bent anything and I have hit a few rocks and you can't find any grass when mowed even tall 16" stuff.. I swear by the kit. My old husky used to leave a row of grass on the discharge side of the mower, no comparison with a JD mower at all.. I sharpened the blades this spring and they are not tin for sure. Can't go wrong with a JD kit. Jeff

Reactions: Cbrown06

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I use the gator style blades with my mulch kit. It works pretty good in the fall for leaf duty. I'm not really a fan for normal mowing. I run the factory high lift blades as they do the best job on my property.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
I used the Oregon Gator blades on my 60D deck this summer - they are very beefy and cut the clippings very fine. I decided to invest in the actual mulching kit, BM23978, as mentioned above with the separate baffle plates for next year. Debating on whether to stick with my Gator blades or use the new mulching blades that came with the kit. Any one else experience using the Gator blades with the mulching baffles?

Reactions: Bill56
1 - 16 of 16 Posts