Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

New user here :)

I bought my first riding lawn mower recently: a John Deere D130. It's a great improvement over push mowing my .75 acres. I've always mulched my lawn, so I purchased the mulch kit for the D130. The sales guy I bought it from told me that I couldn't use the mulch blades that come with the kit. Is that the case?

I was somewhat disappointed with the mulching of the normal blades. It looked more blown with lines of clippings left at the edges of the mowing deck.

Let me know your thoughts!

·
Premium Member
12,903 Posts
Hi!

I bought my first riding lawn mower recently: a John Deere D130. It's a great improvement over push mowing my .75 acres. I've always mulched my lawn, so I purchased the mulch kit for the D130. The sales guy I bought it from told me that I couldn't use the mulch blades that come with the kit. Is that the case?

I was somewhat disappointed with the mulching of the normal blades. It looked more blown with lines of clippings left at the edges of the mowing deck.

Well, I don't know much at times, but I do believe there is a reason mulch blades come with a mulch kit. I would be closer to thinking the salesman is a moron:dunno:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think your salesman is a little crazy. I just bought a D130 last week and got the mulch kit installed by my salesman. The mulch kit comes with mulching blades for a reason. I have mowed with it once so far and it has done a great job. Did he/she give you the mulching blades that came with the mulching kit so you can install them yourselves?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think your salesman is a little crazy. I just bought a D130 last week and got the mulch kit installed by my salesman. The mulch kit comes with mulching blades for a reason. I have mowed with it once so far and it has done a great job. Did he/she give you the mulching blades that came with the mulching kit so you can install them yourselves?
So good to know! They actually forgot to drop them off when they delivered the mower, so I'm going to install them when they arrive :)

I was also told that I should do an oil change after about 20 hours. The salesman said the oil that comes from the factory needs to be changed early on. Heard that before? I have the oil and filter to do it, but it seems odd to need it so soon.

·
Premium Member
12,903 Posts
So good to know! They actually forgot to drop them off when they delivered the mower, so I'm going to install them when they arrive :)

I was also told that I should do an oil change after about 20 hours. The salesman said the oil that comes from the factory needs to be changed early on. Heard that before? I have the oil and filter to do it, but it seems odd to need it so soon.
JD does use "break in" oil so this is probably true

·
Registered
29 Posts

The salesman gave me the original 3in1 blades upon delivery because I purchased those and you purchased the mulching kit which comes with the mulching blades so those are yours. You may want to check with a manager there at the dealership because this is really shady of this salesman to tell you that you shouldn't use mulching blades with a mulching kit and then also not give them to you even though you paid for them.

Check your manual because there is an 8 hour service that needs to be done. Can't remember what exactly needs to be done and don't have my manual here with me.

·
Registered
116 Posts

The owners manual for the X3's calls for an oil change at 8 hours however the owners manual for the D's calls for an oil change first at 50 hours.

I would most definitely change the oil at 8 hours just like is done on the X3's. I would also change the transmission oil at 50 hours even though it is a sealed unit and requires no service.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The owners manual for the X3's calls for an oil change at 8 hours however the owners manual for the D's calls for an oil change first at 50 hours.

I would most definitely change the oil at 8 hours just like is done on the X3's. I would also change the transmission oil at 50 hours even though it is a sealed unit and requires no service.
Here is a link to the service intervals for the D130 and here is a link to the manual for the D130.

Service Intervals

Initial Service 8 Hours

Change engine oil and filter.
Lubricate mower spindles and pivot points.
Check/Adjust mower deck belt tension (Manual PTO).
Check/Adjust mower deck spindle brakes (Manual PTO).
Lubricate front axle pivot and axle spindles.
Lubricate front axle wheel bushings.

Every 25 Hours

Yearly or Every 50 Hours

Change engine oil and filter. (Service more frequently under dusty conditions.)
Replace air filter element. (Service more frequently under dusty conditions.)
Replace fuel filter.
Replace spark plug(s).
Clean engine cooling fins.
Clean/Replace emission filter (If equipped).
Sharpen/replace mower blades.
Check/replace mower drive belts.
Check/level mower deck.
Clean mower deck.
Clean battery terminals.

Every 200 Hours

Check/adjust valve clearance. See your John Deere dealer for this service.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Hi!

Was the sales guy you bought your new tractor from
1. An employee of an actual John Deere dealership?
2. An employee of a big box store?
If it was #2 that would explain a lot.

·
Registered
104 Posts

My D170 had the break-in change listed at 8 hours. There's a sticker under the hood that has the maintenance periods listed - the break in is specifically listed there too. :thumbup1gif: If the D130 has the digital hour meter you'll see it start blinking when it's due.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here is a link to the service intervals for the D130 and here is a link to the manual for the D130.

Service Intervals

Initial Service 8 Hours

Change engine oil and filter.

Every 25 Hours

Yearly or Every 50 Hours

Change engine oil and filter. (Service more frequently under dusty conditions.)
Replace air filter element. (Service more frequently under dusty conditions.)
Replace fuel filter.
Replace spark plug(s).
Clean engine cooling fins.
Clean/Replace emission filter (If equipped).
Sharpen/replace mower blades.
Check/replace mower drive belts.
Check/level mower deck.
Clean mower deck.
Clean battery terminals.

Every 200 Hours

Check/adjust valve clearance. See your John Deere dealer for this service.
Those are the links for the 2015 manual. Changing engine oil and filter is no longer on the 8 hour list for 2017. OMUC11804 OMUC11804

1 - 12 of 12 Posts