Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So....I'm just thinking about making my 60 D mulch better in all grass conditions.....
I've not installed the mulch plug, just a flat expanded metal piece I shaped to fit over the grass outlet port....
my 1 ac yard is junk after extensive French Drain install last year, meaning some areas are thick, lush weeds & grass & some are not,,,,,,so, tonight I used my Honda twin blade on maybe 25% of the total yard.....& left absolutely NO windrows.....which brings me to wondering what might happen if I installed a second blade, either above or below the G5 Gator on each mower spindle...???....machining capabilities are available....thinking of using the original "never sharpen" blades it came with ,somehow......tomarrow or Saturday, I'll use those beautiful load & go's to check this out

·
Premium Member
2,188 Posts
Gator blades are not mulching blades. You're never going to get good performance using Gator blades with the discharge blocked. That isn't what Gators are designed to do. Gators are high lift blades designed for side discharging. Putting twice as many wrong blades under there, while also incorrectly blocking the side discharge without other internal baffles, is not going to make anything better. That will simply compound the problem. This is just going to make clumps of poorly cut grass.

If you want mulching results, as in grass clippings that simply disappear into the lawn never to be seen again, you need the actual mulching kit with baffles around each blade and the discharge blocking plate, and the low lift mulching blades designed for this purpose.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The mulching kit for the 60D is very nice. I would start there if you want to improve the mulching performance of your deck. The cost is similar to the load and go (which you already have), and you actually use the mulching kit every time you mow, it should be easier to justify in my mind. The load and go brackets have a lot of idle time for most users.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts

I’m not a huge fan of gator blades, but they certainly are designed for mulching.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I think the G3's are the low lift mulching blades.

·
Premium Member
Tator
17,260 Posts
I ran G6 blades on my 60D set up for side discharge and have honestly never used such an overrated product. On my little X310 I use G3 blades and they are awesome, not sure why there was such a difference.

My suggestion, put the 60D mulch kit on the correct way and have fun. I have been mulching for 25 years with several different types and have never seen any mulcher perform nearly as good as the 60D with the mulch kit using the mulching blades that come with the kit.

Reactions: ClydeLogan

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I put Gator blades on my previous tractor, a Kubota BX, that had the factory mulch kit. Great cut, terrible results. The lawn looked incredible, no windrows, but it was like having someone throw grass all over you and the tractor. I had to blow out the radiator every 15 minutes. It was just a very negative experience. I only used them once. The factory mulch kit on the Kubota worked OK , it left some small windrows. The mulch kit on my JD works great and I will always stick with the factory mulch blades.

·
Premium Member
2,188 Posts
I’m not a huge fan of gator blades, but they certainly are designed for mulching.
They are designed for side/rear discharging. They are not designed for mulching with the discharge blocked or baffles in place. They are high lift blades that require a discharge. "Gator mulcher" in their marketing material is implying that the discharged clippings will be smaller, which they usually are. But they do not produce actual mulching performance, which is baffles, no discharge, and low-lift blades that make the clippings tiny and disappear into the lawn. Using gator blades with a real actual mulching kit installed will not work well at all.

·
Premium Member
2,188 Posts
I put Gator blades on my previous tractor, a Kubota BX, that had the factory mulch kit. Great cut, terrible results. The lawn looked incredible, no windrows, but it was like having someone throw grass all over you and the tractor. I had to blow out the radiator every 15 minutes. It was just a very negative experience. I only used them once. The factory mulch kit on the Kubota worked OK , it left some small windrows. The mulch kit on my JD works great and I will always stick with the factory mulch blades.
Case in point, using high lift blades with a mulching kit. When it's dry, you get the blow out and it doesn't mulch as well. And when it's not perfectly dry, it plasters the deck with grass really bad.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
They are designed for side/rear discharging. They are not designed for mulching with the discharge blocked or baffles in place. They are high lift blades that require a discharge. "Gator mulcher" in their marketing material is implying that the discharged clippings will be smaller, which they usually are. But they do not produce actual mulching performance, which is baffles, no discharge, and low-lift blades that make the clippings tiny and disappear into the lawn. Using gator blades with a real actual mulching kit installed will not work well at all.
Ok, the people who make them are liars, but you know the truth even though it’s contrary to all evidence.

Got it.

Good day

·
Premium Member
2,188 Posts
No that's exactly how Oregon describes their product. And that's exactly the experience people who use or have used them, myself included. Mulching kits cannot and will not work properly with them and require real mulching blades, which are low lift blades that do not move tons of air for the purpose of discharging.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
The blades that came with both my Kubota and JD mulch kits both were lower lift blades. The Gator blades are much higher lift. They can say they are a mulching blade but they sure don’t work with a mulching kit.

·
Premium Member
2,188 Posts
I used gators when i was side discharging. Loved them. Beasts of blades that blew out much smaller clippings. But the clippings they blew out were certainly not even close to what is produced by a true mulching setup with low lift blades, baffles, and discharge plug. That's basically dust that disappears into the grass. Now that I have that, I don't ever want to side discharge or bag ever again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.