Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1025 arrives next week.

I have the loader and a 54" mower, and a ballast box.

I will be shopping used for a rear scraper to clear snow and maybe clear/clean-up walking paths in my woods.

Are there any "I just can't imagine my 1025 (or other SCUT) without..." type things I should look for?

I'm sorta thinking a set of forks could be pretty useful.

Not that I really need to throw more money at this, but hey, a guy's gotta have goals, right?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Allot depends on what type of property you have. Brush hig was a big need at my last house is a sometimes use here. With 1/4 mile gravel drive a grader scraper was needed here along with a snow pusher for my big area between the house and the shed.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Should add I have a great local rental center where I can get a box blade, landscape rake with wheels, post hole auger. Those are rare use items for me so I just rent them when I need them.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Forks and IMatch probably the best 2 things to start with. Of course, after you fill the ballast box with something.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yep, I added an iMatch on the tractor purchase.

I envision a fair amount of mower time, so I wanted the iMatch so I can disconnect the mower, hook up the loader and grab up the ballast box and go to work when I want/need the loader.

Not much need/use for the bush hog. I can borrow one if/when needed from a friend, but it would be used rarely.

Small silly thing...any good mounts for an iPhone? I use my phone with bluetooth ear-pro while mowing to play Audible books or podcasts. I can drop it in a fender compartment, but it wouldn’t be a bad thing to have it more accessible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forks and IMatch probably the best 2 things to start with. Of course, after you fill the ballast box with something.
I need to call a local tire place that does some ag work too and will come onsite to fill tires. I figured it would be worth filling them.

Ballast box... I’ve read all sorts of fill ideas. Seems fine gravel or sand is high on the list. Or concrete mix. Open to ideas.

I figured I’d put PVC on the outside to use for tool carriers.

Anyone use the clamp-on EdgeGuards for the bucket? I saw them on TTWT and they look pretty useful.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Small silly thing...any good mounts for an iPhone? I use my phone with bluetooth ear-pro while mowing to play Audible books or podcasts. I can drop it in a fender compartment, but it would be a bad thing to have it more accessible.
I don't know. The cupholder's pretty accessible in my book. Convenient to plug in for charging, and well protected being in there.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Anyone use the clamp-on EdgeGuards for the bucket? I saw them on TTWT and they look pretty useful.
Edge Tamers? I have a set of 3" ones, and yes, very useful. Let's the bucket glide over the ground without digging in. Good for pushing snow with the bucket, etc. I'm probably going to be using them tomorrow. I'm digging a trench for drain tile, and I'll attach them for pushing the dirt back into the trench afterwards. They do a nice job of not tearing up the grass.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Edge Tamers? I have a set of 3" ones, and yes, very useful. Let's the bucket glide over the ground without digging in. Good for pushing snow with the bucket, etc. I'm probably going to be using them tomorrow. I'm digging a trench for drain tile, and I'll attach them for pushing the dirt back into the trench afterwards. They do a nice job of not tearing up the grass.
Yep, that’s it.

Do you run two, or more than two?

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
2. My bucket is 49". I think a 53" bucket would be fine with just 2 also. I don't think you'd need 3 until you got to a 60" or larger bucket.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I envision a fair amount of mower time, so I wanted the iMatch so I can disconnect the mower, hook up the loader and grab up the ballast box and go to work when I want/need the loader.
If you expect to be attaching and disconnecting the loader frequently, the single point hydraulic hookup for the loader is a really nice feature. Expensive, but nice.

You also mentioned walking paths in the woods. Get a rotary cutter...it will handle those areas much better than a finish mower will.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I need to call a local tire place that does some ag work too and will come onsite to fill tires. I figured it would be worth filling them.

Ballast box... I’ve read all sorts of fill ideas. Seems fine gravel or sand is high on the list. Or concrete mix. Open to ideas.

I figured I’d put PVC on the outside to use for tool carriers.

I just toss the iPhone in the cup holder and usually wear Air Pods, Work Tunes, or a Bose ANC. I agree with forks very important...36 or 42 inch. The iMatch is a good idea, and my most useful attachment for it is a 2” receiver hitch.

It’s easy to overthink the ballast...put enough weight in it to balance a full FEL bucket. Figure that a heaping full bucket is about 6 cubic feet, and dirt or rock is about 100 lbs per cubic foot. Your bucket lifting capacity is about 680 lbs. My ballast box is about 5.5 cubic feet and weighs 130 lbs, so with it filled with pea rock, it weighs about 650 lbs. Works out nicely. I went with pea rock because it’s cheap and easy, and not permanent....didn’t want a 600 lb block of concrete sitting around the property. YMMV. If you’re using the thing around the yard or as a mower, you may not want or need the tires filled....depends on how resistant your soil is to tire rutting. IMHO, with a functional ballast box, there’s not a real need for something as permanent as beet juice in your tires.

I have a pair of the Edge Tamers...have found then to be of very limited use. You will want a logging chain of some kind, with hooks. Maybe 10 feet. Ken at BOH has a nice box that secures to your iMatch to store it in.

Storage is an issue...some guys have been putting an ATV basket on top of their ballast box....looks very useful. I use a standard 2” receiver carrier in the hitch receiver I mount on my iMatch or in the 2” hitch on my ballast box. I also have a ROPS basket mounted to my ROPS...extremely convenient.

Most important....a spinner knob for your steering wheel,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh man I forgot about the spinner for the wheel... thanks for the reminder.

Good call on the chain.
I get frequent mulberry trees sprouting up. I find them miserable to kill but not bad to yank out if I get at em somewhat early.

I’m planning to drop the ballast when mowing. Filled tires may be of use on my hills though.

I think I’ll mow first a few times before deciding.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yep, I added an iMatch on the tractor purchase.

Not much need/use for the bush hog. I can borrow one if/when needed from a friend, but it would be used rarely.

Small silly thing...any good mounts for an iPhone? I use my phone with bluetooth ear-pro while mowing to play Audible books or podcasts. I can drop it in a fender compartment, but it wouldn’t be a bad thing to have it more accessible.
Have you looked at RAM products? They make a lot of plastic holders for iphones, GPS's, and that sort of thing that can attach to tractors, motorcycles, ATVs, etc. I have some for my tractor lawnmower and ATV and I'm quite happy with them. Good Luck....

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have a backhoe, but if I was using a ballast box I'd look at ballast that was easy to add or subtract. Something like barbell weights, or old brake drums, something so you can use the box for something else, like a tool carrier, or moving firewood around. There's a lot of great ideas here. Lots of people have made the most of their ballast boxes. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Check out the vendors section here and go to Ken's Bolt On Hooks web page.
I really like his differential pedal that bolts on the short, skinny diff lock rod that Deere put on these tractors.
I also bought his hooks for my bucket and assorted chain hooks and straps. Very high quality products and customer service.
Love the steering wheel spinner knob.
Use hell out of pallet forks.
In the winter I use a cheap battery tender a lot. So far, so good on the original battery. (Knock on wood!)
Also, if you don't have one already, I recommend a low pressure tire gage. They are more sensitive I feel at the low psi these tires use.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The bolt on hooks......go easy on me here, but what do folks use them for? I see they are frequently mentioned and haven’t heard a bad word about ‘em....just curious how they get used.

The diff lock pedal looks interesting, as well as the step fo the 1025. I need to use it a bit to see if those are “needs”. :)

I’ve been looking around a bit on how folks use these tractors for things like pulling out small brush/trees. I get these dang mulberry “volunteers” and they need to be yanked. Cutting them just makes them grow more. Anyway, seems like some folks pull with the FEL/hooks, but I was thinking it would be better to put that work on the hitch.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yeah trust this bunch when they say install the hooks on the FEL bucket. Hooks & diff lock peddle.

If you plan to use the FEL a lot a tooth bar comes in handy. There are several on the market for different types of uses.

We trim a LOT of trees/brush and for us a clamp on debris fork is one of our most used attachments. We can pile limbs & brush on them to transport to the burn pile. Easy on, easy off.

The first thing I learned when joining this group was the quick hitch and you’ve got one coming so that’s great. This is a must for quick & easy swap of all 3 point attachments (and Ken sells those adaptors bushing kits as well)

Attachments are like crack. Once you start it’s hard to stop. Congrats on the new tractor. We want to see pics of the new toy when it arrives.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Oh man I forgot about the spinner for the wheel... thanks for the reminder.

Good call on the chain.
I get frequent mulberry trees sprouting up. I find them miserable to kill but not bad to yank out if I get at em somewhat early.

I’m planning to drop the ballast when mowing. Filled tires may be of use on my hills though.

I think I’ll mow first a few times before deciding.
Yes...very satisfying to just uproot ugly bushes and trees like that. It must be how a dentist feels.

I use a 10 foot logging chain with the usual hooks. If you use it a lot, you may find some of the accessories that Ken sells at BOH Chain, Hook and Rigging Accessories - BoltOnHooks LLC to be very useful. I do have Ken's hooks on my bucket. They are only occasionally useful, but on the occasions when I do need them, I'm really glad that they they are there. I just used them the other day to lift the front of my Z445 to get under to change the blades.

For uprooting light stuff, I just put a hitch ball in the 2 inch hitch receiver I hook to my iMatch, but I think it's safer and less potentially damaging to do the big stuff with the chain or cable attached directly to the drawbar/tractor frame. In that regard, A two-inch receiver to replace the drawbar is very useful, and safer. Heavy Hitch. I can't speak to the utility of filled tires. I don't have hills to speak of and have no need to make the permanent comittment of filled tires. Sounds messy.

\

For my 2.5 acre more-or-less suburban applications, this is how I'm generally outfitted.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts