Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a search through some of the older threads on this site and others, I see that there have been some issues with the MX-6. It seems that there is a recurring theme with regards to balance issues likely the result of bent PTO shafts, bent output shafts and incorrect blade weighting.

Rather than resurrect these old threads, I was hoping that the involved individuals could share their experiences with the MX-6. Were the issues resolved to your satisfaction? Are there any preventative measures that can be taken by the operator to reduce or eliminate common problems?

I have about 100 acres of rose bushes and buck brush to knock down this summer. My JD dealer is familiar with the landscape and recommended the MX-6 as the best machine for the job. I had been using a self-propelled 24" brush buster (10 HP) and had very few issues with jamming or belt slippage but realized that it was way too slow.

Any opinions or observations would be welcome. Thanks in advance, Mike

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I mow 90% fields and 10% "once a year" areas. Last fall I did a few areas that had been untouched for about 4 years. I backed over small gum trees (under 1 1/4" diameter trunk) and had no problems with it.

When it was new, a few times the cutters got knocked out of their "Straight out" position and the thing wobbled terribly. But once the paint wore off and the JD SuperLube I sprayed on there wore in, I've not had the problem.

You will want to take the pressure off the slip clutch in the fall, and then slip it and re-adjust it before the 1st use in the spring (all this is covered in the manual).

A couple of times I've spun the stump jumper into the ground and made little 3 foot "crop circles". It came close to stalling the tractor and then the slip clutch kicked in, no damage done. I will say that I tend toward babying my equipment vs. beating it up though.

I have mine on an Imatch. It just took putting it on "by hand" once and I ordered the Imatch :laugh:.

Pete

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pete, that is exactly the sort of advice I am looking for. I guess the first thing I should do is to clean the mating surfaces of any paint and apply some sort of light-duty fastening compound.

Unfortunately, I am unable to put the iMatch on my tractor, so it looks like the wife is going to be in for a bit of a workout. I don't think it will be too bad as I have access to the rear hydraulics on the back fenders... lucky for her!

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Mike, you were probably reading some of my post. I don't know if you know, but these units used to be made in Canada and they were moved to Mexico at the end of 2010. At that time, they also changed the design of the three point connections to make it easier to connect to the i-match.

I had issues with my first one that was built in Canada. The stump jumper was out of round and the blades were unbalanced. It was a comedy of errors and the dealer finally replaced it. I now have the updated model from Mexico with the better 3 point connections. I cannot imagine hooking this up without the i-match.

I love the MX-6 as it is a real tough rotary cutter and it has a dual layer deck so no mater how bad you beat up the bottom, the top still looks good. I use mine to cut my 20 acres behind my home around trees and alfalfa and also to cut around the outside of all out fields. It gets used :empathy:

I had an MX-5 before this and the only issue I have had with these guys is weeds getting mashed in around the blades on the stump jumper and making them unable to move and it being out of balance. That was easily to solve by using some pentrol on the bolt and hole in the blades to keep them lubed and moving and also cleaning it every once and a while.

You have a great unit. If you ever need to change blades, its easy, but you need a 6 foot breaker bar....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why is that Mike?
Kenny, I was told that the 6430 was not compatible with the iMatch quick attach. Again, I am very new to all of this so I may be a bit (a lot) naive?

Brian, I did see your posts and I am glad the problems were resolved. I'm very disappointed that it appeared to be a problem with the Canadian manufacturer... for obvious reasons. I did see that the MX-6 was made in Welland, Ontario but I didn't realize that they had moved production to Mexico. I had read some concerns about the gear boxes now being made in China as opposed to Spain, but it would appear that this might be a bit less of a practical issue at this point. I guess time will tell.

Just got back from the local JD Dealer and have a new Frontier Hydraulic Box Blade on order (BB4178H). We got hit very hard by the rain last year and there is still a lot of snow around. I'm hoping this will help to smooth out the back roads a bit and allow me to make some better ditching.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm flying blind on all of this but it sure makes it exciting! Lots to learn for sure. Mike

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Mike, mine could have been a bent gear box shaft or it could have been loaded or unloaded incorrectly. You dont want to lift it with pallet forks on the stump jumper. I was sad to see them move to Mexico, but the quality of mine seems the same as the last two I had built in Canada. At least you have a five year warranty on the gear box....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why is that Mike?
After doing some further research, it appears that I can get a Quick-attach (but not the iMatch) for the Cat 2 hitch. Looks like I'm off to the Dealer (again) on Monday morning. Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Mike, I'm curious why you're not considering a bigger cutter? Plenty of Hp.. You could likely work a 12' - 15' cutter if you're not cutting small saplings! Certainly a 10' and I'd venture with that size cutter behind a 6430 you could back over 4" trees all day long! Of course, the price goes up quite substantially for every foot of cutter!

I've been discussing rotary cutters on another forum and have been considering a 7'-8' cutter. Need to renovate some old hayfields that have been taken over by Spruce trees. Up to 4"-5" trees.

Have a 60hp @ pto JD 5075M.

AKfish

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. The rationale for going with the MX-6 was almost entirely due to the topography and brush being cut. I'm right in the foothills of the Rockies.

Matt, I have a ton of saplings to cut - wild rose (thick), buck brush (thick) and poplar (not too bad). My thinking was that my cutting potential would be limited more by the slip clutch than the HP at the PTO. I have several small and undeveloped road ways through the properties that are generally lined with large poplar and fir trees that I would prefer to leave.

Given these conditions, do you think there is a better choice? They are bringing the cutter in on Tuesday, so I definitely have time to re-think my requirements.

Again, thanks for all the help. Mike

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I agree with the other guys as a larger until might be real nice.

If you were to buy a Cat 2 quick hitch, it would not work on the MX-6 as it is a Cat 1 implement.

I think you would like to have a cutter that has a cutting width wider than your tractor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with the other guys as a larger until might be real nice.

If you were to buy a Cat 2 quick hitch, it would not work on the MX-6 as it is a Cat 1 implement.

I think you would like to have a cutter that has a cutting width wider than your tractor.
Doh!!! Thanks Brian, I thought the MX-6 was a CAT 2 Hitch and you are correct. I just got a hold of the Dealer on his cell and cancelled my MX-6 and have and bought an MX-7 they have in stock as well as the Quick-Attach. Please don't try and talk me into anything bigger as I will likely fold like a cheap suit :laugh:.

Thanks for all the help and observations gents.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does your tractor have a cab? :tongue:
Yes sir, A/C, air ride seat, command center, IVT transmission, premium stereo and everything but the fridge :yahoo::yahoo:.

I just need to find someone who knows how to use it all!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Will do. I'm heading out there next week for a couple days of branding but over the next few months I will definitely get some "before" and "after" pictures.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mike where in Alberta are you located? I'm up near New Sarepta. By this fall we should be west of Calmar. I have lots of family down in the Rocky, Caroline, Sundre area.. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mike where in Alberta are you located? I'm up near New Sarepta. By this fall we should be west of Calmar. I have lots of family down in the Rocky, Caroline, Sundre area.. :thumbup1gif:
I live in Lethbridge and have a ranch west of Pincher Creek. Cheers, Mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts