Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
2013 John Deere 3520
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having issues with my MX5 rotary cutter. It seems the center link is "sticking" for lack of a better word. I understand it's supposed to have some float when riding over uneven terrain, which is my entire property. When mowing, I feel the cutter drop. After observing and not crashing into anything, it looks like the center link floats up, and then doesn't drop right away. Eventually it does, and being a heavy cuter, I feel and hear it. In the meantime, it is not cutting at the proper height until it drops.

I think I need new bushings on the center link. If you look at the pics below, in the third one you will see wear on the strap that connects to the top link.

First issue is the center link does not match the pictures on the manual. Manual is pictured in first pic. My upper assembly is in the second.

Second, I'm thinking maybe the center link was torqued down too tight by the dealer 8 years ago. I can't find the torque spec for the center link bolts. Any idea where I can find them, assuming there are specs.

Any help or insights would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Registered
I have to keep my MX6 lubed up pretty good for it to function decent. I have replaced the bushing at least once, and have broke that bolt through the bushing several times.
My assembly looks like yours. Not sure what that is in the manual. Maybe before they made it iMatch freindly?

Registered
2013 John Deere 3520
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You lube the center link?

Is that top bushing supposed to roll?

Registered
2013 John Deere 3520
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the lower bolt it pivots on too tight? Does it have a bushing in it to keep it free to pivot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's possible the lower bolt is too tight. That's one of the reasons I was asking about torque specs. How tight should it be?

Premium Member
It's possible the lower bolt is too tight. That's one of the reasons I was asking about torque specs. How tight should it be?
I'd say just snug enough that there isn't any slop.

If it is not already, I would use a lock nut.

Reactions: arlen

Registered
That whole assembly has to be able to slide freely. That upper bushing doesn鈥檛 need to spin, but needs to slide. From the picture I looks like the upper bushing is in a groove. Mine doesn鈥檛 have that. Not sure how it could slide like that. Is that just from wear?

Registered
2013 John Deere 3520
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, that's from wear. Did I mention the uneven ground on my property?

I loosened the entire assembly, then took it apart. I found the inner bushing deformed on one side. Sorry I didn't take a pic. Not sure if that is from wear or some gorilla at the dealer cranked on it during prep when it was delivered way back when.

I also think inn missing a bushing on the top. Looking at the parts diagram, it appears there is a spacer, then a bushing that goes over the spacer? Am I reading that correctly?

Registered
2021 John Deere 4066R Cab
My MX5 is quite different from yours, see pics below. I pushed all the link arms to the right to show the gaps between parts.

My iMatch top hook connects to the upper bolt/bushing. The lower bolt which connects the long arms to the rear of the mower has 2 bushings. The inner bushing maintains the gap for the long arms and as you can see there鈥檚 quite a lot of 鈥渟lop鈥 there. The outside bushing maintains the gap to the short arms for the top hook.

The flanged nuts securing the bolts and bushings are a type of lock nut, the threaded hole through the nut is slightly oblonged to provide the locking friction.

Assuming you have the same style nuts on your MX5, I would suggest loosening the nuts one-quarter turn at a time until you have enough free play for everything to move freely.

Motor vehicle Grass Vehicle Gas Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Grass Vehicle Gas Automotive exterior
Green Wood Grass Line Terrestrial plant

Registered
Yes, that's from wear. Did I mention the uneven ground on my property?

I loosened the entire assembly, then took it apart. I found the inner bushing deformed on one side. Sorry I didn't take a pic. Not sure if that is from wear or some gorilla at the dealer cranked on it during prep when it was delivered way back when.

I also think inn missing a bushing on the top. Looking at the parts diagram, it appears there is a spacer, then a bushing that goes over the spacer? Am I reading that correctly?

I鈥檓 not sure about the bushing you have circled. I can look at mine those evening and let you know. As for the deformed lower bushing...I have replaced that one on mine multiple times and now keep a spare. I have also broke those bolts. I have uneven ground too馃槀

Reactions: Zebrafive
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.