Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking to purchase a MX5 Rotary Cutter for my 2032R... any input on that combination? I have 112 acres with about 20 field the rest woods. I have a road going back to a hunting cabin back in the woods. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am looking to purchase a MX5 Rotary Cutter for my 2032R... any input on that combination? I have 112 acres with about 20 field the rest woods. I have a road going back to a hunting cabin back in the woods. Thanks for your input.
I’m also looking at rotary cutter options. I’ve learned the rule of thumb is one foot of cutter for every 5 PTO horsepower. However there is some wiggle room there depending what type of material is being cut. I ran a 4ft cutter on my 2025 this past summer with no trouble at all reclaiming some overgrown pastures with saplings and some thick grass. I’m looking at 5 footers now to cover more ground since the heavy cutting is done. My machine has less power than yours so I’m sure the mx5 would be fine for you no matter what you need to cut and even bigger would do well if you wanted it.
Just my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
MX5= 60 inch mower. I don't think it would be an issue since people run 60" cutters on 2R tractors all the time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a '16 2032R and regularly use a 60" Frontier rotary cutter on tall grass to brush to small saplings and the tractor and cutter have handled it with ease.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a 2032 and 60" Frontier brush hog. I run my loader bucket curled back and about 4" off ground to find any hidden surprises. None yet.
I have found and scalped several ant hills about a meter around and half meter high. I stop over the hills and really mess up there day.

I have cut 1 1/2" saplings and grass over a meter high with no problem. Just slower going in some spots. This all in two pastures unused and left wild for several years. Just one mowing has made a big improvement in the quality of the grazing material.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I run a 60” flail on my 2025R which is only about 19 PTO HP, and have no problems. Your tractor should have no issues with that setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I don't have an MX5 but I do have an MX8 and MX6 and they are heavy cutters. You may be ok if you are doing light cutting with it but I am not sure how well it would work in heavy grass or brush. If you go with the MX5 I would make sure that you have enough weight on the front end to keep the cutter from trying to lift the front end off of the ground. I really like the 2 that I have and they are well made so I don't think you would be disappointed with the MX series cutter

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
I ran a 5 foot cutter on a 32hp tractor with no problem.

If it really gets thick, you don't have to take a full bite.

BTW, sounds like you have a very nice property.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Picked up a 5' Frontier and on the 2038R it's no issue...just remember to have some weight on the front. These things are about 101" long and when transporting, you will fell light in the steering. LOL

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
7 Posts
I should be getting a 2018 2032r this Friday. Been shopping for a rotary cutter and have the MX5 ordered for my new 2032r. Two dealers say it’s a good match and I’ll never wear out the MX5. However, a third JD dealer was persistent that this 825 pound rotary is too much for this 2 family chassis. He directed me to the Frontier 5 footer. Thoughts please.
He also said with my iMatch setup I have to use only JD or Frontier implements. I’ve looked at King Kutter but was today told not comparable to iMatch. Thoughts?
Thank you

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm running a 6' agco cutter behind my 2038, it handles the weight with ease. I think you'll be fine. I will mention that the mx series is very heavy duty. If you're only cutting grass it might be a bit more mower than you really need.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I should be getting a 2018 2032r this Friday. Been shopping for a rotary cutter and have the MX5 ordered for my new 2032r. Two dealers say it’s a good match and I’ll never wear out the MX5. However, a third JD dealer was persistent that this 825 pound rotary is too much for this 2 family chassis. He directed me to the Frontier 5 footer. Thoughts please.
He also said with my iMatch setup I have to use only JD or Frontier implements. I’ve looked at King Kutter but was today told not comparable to iMatch. Thoughts?
Thank you
825# isn’t too much for a 2032/38. I run a ~800# flail mower behind my 2038 and it’s ok without front ballast. My front end is a tad light without any front ballast but not unusable. However due to the length of a 5’ rotary cutter it will feel like it’s more weight back there and will require some ballast. If you have a loader, just mow with that on and you will be fine weight wise, otherwise get a set of front weights. There are a handful of quick hitch brands and from what I’ve seen they are all compatible with each other. You can definitely run non-JD/Frontier implements using an iMatch, you just need to check if they are quick hitch compatible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

Reactions: Big

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have now had the MX5 a few days and put about 4 hours on it. This was the right choice! It’s cut some pretty rough stuff including woody nuisance tree type brush to two inches and performed well. It chewed through great and spit out small pieces. I put about 100 pounds of concrete bricks in the FEL bucket for balance and did just fine with this heavy cutter. My JD dealer recommended driving with the bucket tipped up but just a few inches off the ground so to worn me of large rocks or stumps poking up. A large ant hill did surprise me and bog down the engine. Very tall grass/weeds was easy. The junk along the forest area edges just took slower ground speed. The hated multiflower rose (giant sticker bushes) vanished without a trace.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts