Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have taken the paint off around the blades and lubed them up so they can move easier. I made sure nothing was in the stump jumper.... but I cannot get up to PTO speed without it shaking the whole tractor. I am running about 4-500 rpm light so the shaking is not sever.

I almost have to guess its the drive shaft, but the plastic cover only shakes 90 percent of the time.:read It does it from 1200 rpm up. I have 90'ed the driveshaft and have the same issue. It slides easy on the shaft so it would have to be off close to the connection on the tractor. Its driving me nuts.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
I have 90'ed the driveshaft and have the same issue. It slides easy on the shaft so it would have to be off close to the connection on the tractor. Its driving me nuts.
Don't be so quick to think it is right at the tractor. You have a lot of mass on a lever and any unbalance will magnify it. Are the blades clean? Are sure it isn't the tractor? If it all worked before this something has changed.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its done this on both my 3720 and my 4520. I doubt its the tractor. My 673 tiller runs smooth on the tractor!

I am hedging on calling the dealer again on it or not. His first reply to me was to get all the paint off the blade connection area.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Sounds like you have narrowed down to the MX6. And it certainly is an out of balance issue. At the very least you may have to have the dealer exchange it for a better one if he can not fix it. I assume it still has warranty left?

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I made a MX6 "crop circle donut" the other day, and things were shaking after that. I brought the MX6 back to the garage, put it down on jack stands, and then cleaned out the stump jumper. It gets a bunch of dirt and grass in there and that throws things off balance. What comes out isn't that much, and it doesn't weight that much but it certainly does add some shake.

From this, I conclude that the MX6 is very sensitive to how well balanced it is. When it's clean up time for this season, I plan to scrub the bottom of the stump jumper and be sure it's clean. I've always had a little vibration when not moving, but it goes away once I start to mow. I'm not sure how you'd go about balancing one out. And of course, the vibration is different at different tractor RPMs, probably because the MX6 and 3PH interact in ways such that they have a variety of different resonant frequency points. I think this is why what little vibration there is when you're standing still goes away when you move. The act of pulling the MX6 and the effect of the tractor movement and terrain changes keeps the system from finding a resonance point.

I've also lubed the cutting blades. Lots of little bits of grass get wedged between the blade and the stump jumper over time, and it gets harder and harder for the blades to move.

I'd clean it good. Maybee there is someway you can see if there is dirt/mud on the top of the stump jumper? Then have dealer look at it. If that didn't get it, maybee drill a 3/8" hole in the upturned part of the stump jumper so you can add a bolt with washer to balance it out? One hole in the same area as each blade? Maybee you could clamp one of those silly 1" 'C' clamps onto the stump jumper and see how much things change to get a feel how sensitive things are, and maybee where you could bolt something permanent to balance it out?

Again, seeing what a little bit of grass and root ball can do near the center I think it doesn't take much to make the MX6 vibrate.

Pete

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like you have narrowed down to the MX6. And it certainly is an out of balance issue. At the very least you may have to have the dealer exchange it for a better one if he can not fix it. I assume it still has warranty left?
Its 2 months old.

Are you sure the output shaft of the cutter is not bent? Ken
Nope becasue i have not taken off the plastic guard around the pto shaft yet.

I made a MX6 "crop circle donut" the other day, and things were shaking after that. I brought the MX6 back to the garage, put it down on jack stands, and then cleaned out the stump jumper. It gets a bunch of dirt and grass in there and that throws things off balance. What comes out isn't that much, and it doesn't weight that much but it certainly does add some shake.

From this, I conclude that the MX6 is very sensitive to how well balanced it is. When it's clean up time for this season, I plan to scrub the bottom of the stump jumper and be sure it's clean. I've always had a little vibration when not moving, but it goes away once I start to mow. I'm not sure how you'd go about balancing one out. And of course, the vibration is different at different tractor RPMs, probably because the MX6 and 3PH interact in ways such that they have a variety of different resonant frequency points. I think this is why what little vibration there is when you're standing still goes away when you move. The act of pulling the MX6 and the effect of the tractor movement and terrain changes keeps the system from finding a resonance point.

I've also lubed the cutting blades. Lots of little bits of grass get wedged between the blade and the stump jumper over time, and it gets harder and harder for the blades to move.

I'd clean it good. Maybee there is someway you can see if there is dirt/mud on the top of the stump jumper? Then have dealer look at it. If that didn't get it, maybee drill a 3/8" hole in the upturned part of the stump jumper so you can add a bolt with washer to balance it out? One hole in the same area as each blade? Maybee you could clamp one of those silly 1" 'C' clamps onto the stump jumper and see how much things change to get a feel how sensitive things are, and maybee where you could bolt something permanent to balance it out?

Again, seeing what a little bit of grass and root ball can do near the center I think it doesn't take much to make the MX6 vibrate.

Pete
I have cleaned out the stump jumper. This out of ballance issue has been the same since it was brand new. I have not been able to change it a bit.

·
Registered
430 Posts
It is much more likely that the output shaft that the stump jumper is mounted to is the problem as Randy mentioned. Hard to quantify shake and vibration without seeing and feeling it.

I would get the dealer involved right away and push the issue as the shaft is expensive.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dealer said he wants it back and will figure it out in a week. Now just to get it there.

·
Registered
490 Posts
My Dads MX6 does the same thing.But I havent ever cleaned out the stump jumper. Where is it located? I bet it is full of dirt.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I finally got some time while I was putting things away for the winter to take a look at everything and figure it out. I measured the blades and one side is 7\16ths longer than the other blade. SO, I am sure that would do it.

I called the dealer and he said they must have put 2 different blades on it. I asked him how or why and that he must get frustrated with these f-ups. He replied that "we" are in transition and working through stuff.

I have no clue if he means deere or his place. Either or, its very, very poor for deere to ship this the way it is/was. I pay for the quality that I did not get. I have 2 new blades in the mail and they will get weighed before they go on and adjusted to the same weight.

Not cool, but a good outcome.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well, I finally got some time while I was putting things away for the winter to take a look at everything and figure it out. I measured the blades and one side is 7\16ths longer than the other blade. SO, I am sure that would do it.

I called the dealer and he said they must have put 2 different blades on it. I asked him how or why and that he must get frustrated with these f-ups. He replied that "we" are in transition and working through stuff.

I have no clue if he means deere or his place. Either or, its very, very poor for deere to ship this the way it is/was. I pay for the quality that I did not get. I have 2 new blades in the mail and they will get weighed before they go on and adjusted to the same weight.

Not cool, but a good outcome.
Did that fix it?

I have a tad of a vibration in mine, but I am sure it is all the stump and crap I have hit.

This MX6 might end up going to the hunting place. :)

D.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The new blades should be here mid week, So I will know more in a week or so.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My gear box on mine was loose. Caused a lot of vibration only found it by accident.
Mine gives me a small grunt when I first turn it on...LOL... I will check everything over well when i install the blades. My hope is to get it done Friday:unknown:

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The blades are here, The blades are here....:drinks:

And better yet, they are exactly the same size.. Go Deere:empathy:

I am thinking about painting the stamped "Made in Mexico" Green:lol:

I hope to have them installed tomorrow with pictures of my excapade up by the weekend.:bye2:

Anyone want to help, bring your own heat. Its supposed to be a high of 30 tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The saga continues..... I took the blades off. It was not very hard at all. I used a 6 foot breaker bar and some muscle and they came off.

Just for kicks, we ran the rotary cutter without the blades. The SOB shook the tractor just as bad without the blades as it did with them.

I can see that the stump jumper is out of round, so I have to assume that its the problem. Dealer is coming to pick it up. I am done wrenching for him.:cray:

·
Registered
176 Posts
The saga continues..... I took the blades off. It was not very hard at all. I used a 6 foot breaker bar and some muscle and they came off.

Just for kicks, we ran the rotary cutter without the blades. The SOB shook the tractor just as bad without the blades as it did with them.

I can see that the stump jumper is out of round, so I have to assume that its the problem. Dealer is coming to pick it up. I am done wrenching for him.:cray:
Are you sure the output shaft is not bent? Drop the stumpsumper and watch the end of the shaft as you turn the pto slowly by hand. Ken Sweet

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.