Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What factors would be the cause of this new MX8 cutter leaving uncut vegetation, specifically stalks and plants like sireca (sp)?

Pulling with a 4066R, seems to have plenty of power. Set engine just above 540 and the digital display says it maintains it...

Have tried going between 1mph and 4mph; full width cut and half overlap; low cut height and high height, none of those seem to make a difference.

The only thing that makes a difference is going back over it a 2nd time, then it is great quality.

I haven't checked the blade sharpness; it is new and had only 30 hours on it when I noticed the issue... so assuming the blades were sharpened right from factory, figure that's not 100% the issue

I also haven't adjusted the rear wheels, it seems to sit level when cutting at a medium height, likely 6" or so.

Is it just the way it is, because of how thick, tall, and strong the plants are? Or something else I may be missing?

Attachments

Reactions: JKR and BigJim55

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
I have the same sort of issues with my 110 inch RFM. I attribute it to the tall stuff laying down under the mower as the multiple blade mowers are not deep enough from front to rear to cut it before it exits the rear of the mower. Some of that laying down may be from the tire tracks. I have no problems with short stuff. Obviously max RPM's are necessary.

Dave

·
Registered
515 Posts
That thick stemmy stuff can be tough to cut sometimes. I'd recommend dropping the shredder down on the skids or raising it up so the chains are laying it down so much before the blades

Brett

·
Registered
23,100 Posts
With tough fall grasses like that there isn’t really anything you can do. I just plan to go over the area a second time being sure I am going in the opposite direction of the first.

Lowering the deck will sometimes help a little but don’t like trying to use it like a finish mower.

Take a piece of that grass that didn’t cut - pick it up and see how tough it is. A lot of that stuff is impossible to break with your hands - it’s tough!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I would check and make sure the blades are sharp and check to make sure the slip clutch is not slipping when hitting the tall grass. I also have the MX8 and have cut fields with grass up to the hood and it is not leaving grass that bad.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
I would check and make sure the blades are sharp and check to make sure the slip clutch is not slipping when hitting the tall grass. I also have the MX8 and have cut fields with grass up to the hood and it is not leaving grass that bad.
I agree on checking the slip clutch. Put a chalk mark on both plates and check them again after mowing some tough stuff to see they have moved.

Dave

Reactions: PJR832 and BigJim55

·
Registered
369 Posts
With my MX-8 in real heavy grass or brush the way to reduce the amount of left-over grass was to go " low and slow". It appeared to me that the cut material would form a mat or wads that tended to lay on top of other grass and flatten it just below the cutter blades.

If you're moving along a bit too fast or the blades are a skooch too high the blades won't cut up the wads enough for the flattened grass to pop back up and get mowed.

So, a 2nd pass with the mower flat on the runners was necessary.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
What factors would be the cause of this new MX8 cutter leaving uncut vegetation, specifically stalks and plants like sireca (sp)?

Pulling with a 4066R, seems to have plenty of power. Set engine just above 540 and the digital display says it maintains it...

Have tried going between 1mph and 4mph; full width cut and half overlap; low cut height and high height, none of those seem to make a difference.

The only thing that makes a difference is going back over it a 2nd time, then it is great quality.

I haven't checked the blade sharpness; it is new and had only 30 hours on it when I noticed the issue... so assuming the blades were sharpened right from factory, figure that's not 100% the issue

I also haven't adjusted the rear wheels, it seems to sit level when cutting at a medium height, likely 6" or so.

Is it just the way it is, because of how thick, tall, and strong the plants are? Or something else I may be missing?

Do you have the chain guards on your cutter? I have ran multiple cutters on multiple tractors for the past 25 years and dang near every cutter I have ran that has rubber or chains results in a poor cut when cutting thicker weeds/grass. In my opinion the chains/rubber keeps to much material under the cutter deck basically mulching the materials the same as a finishing mower with a mulch kit on it, if the material is thrown out and away from the cutter there will be more capacity under there to cut the thicker stuff cleanly.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reviving this thread for the same issues. This time, I sharpened the blades (overly sharp for a bush hog), ensured it is level front-to-rear and lowered the cutting height to about 5" tall. The slip clutch isn't slipping.

I mowed at around 3 to 4 mph, and in regular fine grass or weeds, it cuts like a lawn mower. In vegetation with really thick stems, it cuts really good on the outside, but the middle is horrible -- it just defoliates it and leaves the stems (as noted in previous posts).

Perhaps this is just caused by the design of the mower and rotation of the spindles -- as the blades move to the rear on the outside, and towards the front on the inside. Maybe the forward motion of the cutter and tractor combined with the forward motion of the blades in the middle plus the act of pushing the vegetation over to the front as you drive is causing the issue. :banghead: :nunu:

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Reviving this thread for the same issues. This time, I sharpened the blades (overly sharp for a bush hog), ensured it is level front-to-rear and lowered the cutting height to about 5" tall. The slip clutch isn't slipping.

I mowed at around 3 to 4 mph, and in regular fine grass or weeds, it cuts like a lawn mower. In vegetation with really thick stems, it cuts really good on the outside, but the middle is horrible -- it just defoliates it and leaves the stems (as noted in previous posts).

Perhaps this is just caused by the design of the mower and rotation of the spindles -- as the blades move to the rear on the outside, and towards the front on the inside. Maybe the forward motion of the cutter and tractor combined with the forward motion of the blades in the middle plus the act of pushing the vegetation over to the front as you drive is causing the issue. :banghead: :nunu:

Compare your tire tracks with the poorly mowed stuff. I find that in tall stuff, both my 110 inch RFM and my 10ft brush hog leave strips where the tire tracks are. Apparently the tall stuff lays down from the tires traveling over it and is still down when the mower passes over it. Maybe try backing over the same stuff to keep the tire tracks out of the situation, just to test it.

Dave

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
179 Posts
Most brush cutters need to be setup with the front lower than the rear, this way the cuttings can be thrown out the back easier. I noticed in your post you said it was level, this will not allow the heavy cutting to escape as easy. Also make sure your slip clutch is not slipping, take a marker, make a line across the top of the slip clutch, make a pass in the tall grass and get out and check marks, tighten as needed.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Most brush cutters need to be setup with the front lower than the rear, this way the cuttings can be thrown out the back easier. I noticed in your post you said it was level, this will not allow the heavy cutting to escape as easy.
X2

Dave

Reactions: BigJim55
1 - 12 of 12 Posts