Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

This is my (and brother's) 1951 John Deere AW. This one has been with the family since my dad (deceased) took it home with him when he retired from the local potato farm back in 1976-ish. The owner sold it to him for $200 at that time. I still have the receipt.

It was then set up with a buzz rig for cutting firewood. The exhaust was long gone and it had a galvanized (plumbing pipe) and a foot of straight pipe aim at the person throwing the cut off firewood. Lucky any of us can still hear.

Anyway, around 1994 I got it running again, new muffler, tune up, carb rebuild and used it to help clear some land around my home.

Its serial number is within a couple thousand of the other A I have.

This is the only picture I have at this time (1976-1984) and the tractor is far back in a storage shed. I may pull it out this year, but will probably leave it until I get my new tractor shed built. Now, how big should I build it and for how many tractors. Hmmmm...

Enjoy,

BaconFarms

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,775 Posts
Very cool. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
11,692 Posts
i don't think i've ever seen a JD-aw in person?

u said uns cut firewood with it--so did ur saw run off a belt that ran off the clutch pulley?

my pap had a set up that bolted onto the frame and sat out front of the pony tires, and ran off a belt. i off bared a lot of firewood from that saw, as a kid. i wished i had a picture of that set up now. after my uncle passed away-some of my aunt's relative's got the saw, and left it sit outside. thus resulting in the frame of it rotting away.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i don't think i've ever seen a JD-aw in person?

u said uns cut firewood with it--so did ur saw run off a belt that ran off the clutch pulley?

my pap had a set up that bolted onto the frame and sat out front of the pony tires, and ran off a belt. i off bared a lot of firewood from that saw, as a kid. i wished i had a picture of that set up now. after my uncle passed away-some of my aunt's relative's got the saw, and left it sit outside. thus resulting in the frame of it rotting away.
Yes, the saw rig was bolted to the front of the tractor, and the belt ran off the clutch pulley. When moving it around the neighborhood, we wood just lift it up the saw rig and short chain it, throw the belt into the back of a pickup, and drive away.

The belt would spin out and off sometimes when the cutting got hard and my dad had this big tube (grease gun size) of black belt dressing that he would rub on the pulley for traction. Or at least it kept the belt on. The last time we cut firewood with it I was probably 14 years old. I'm 56 now, so there is that.

As far as it being a wide front, all of the tractors that were at the potato farm where my dad worked were all wide fronts. I remember two A's and at least two 60's. There was a newer and bigger JD there with a wide front, but I don't remember what that was. Maybe the wide fronts was a potato thing.

Thanks,

BaconFarms

·
Registered
11,692 Posts
Yes, the saw rig was bolted to the front of the tractor, and the belt ran off the clutch pulley. When moving it around the neighborhood, we wood just lift it up the saw rig and short chain it, throw the belt into the back of a pickup, and drive away.

The belt would spin out and off sometimes when the cutting got hard and my dad had this big tube (grease gun size) of black belt dressing that he would rub on the pulley for traction. Or at least it kept the belt on. The last time we cut firewood with it I was probably 14 years old. I'm 56 now, so there is that.

As far as it being a wide front, all of the tractors that were at the potato farm where my dad worked were all wide fronts. I remember two A's and at least two 60's. There was a newer and bigger JD there with a wide front, but I don't remember what that was. Maybe the wide fronts was a potato thing.

Thanks,

BaconFarms
interesting story-ur only 2 yrs younger than i am. last time i helped on our saw--i was around 16 or so. as i had my leg in a cast from 33 days before my 16 th birthday till i was almost 18 yrs old. i stood and caught the firewood, with my cast, as it went everywhere i did-:laugh: back then. and threw the wood onto an old hay wagon, for storage over winter.

·
Premium Member
13,972 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts