Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a '96 Ranger and my brother-in-law bought this '87 Toyota truck. This was back in 2011. He said, even though he loved the Toyota, it hurt his back by the time he got to work, about a 45 minute trip each day. So we traded trucks. Both are about in the same condition, same miles (a lot), so I thought it was a fair trade. Besides I love these old Toyotas.

It had a rusted through bed (single wall) and used ones were too far for me to go get, plus I was only going by the pictures these salvage yards sent me. So I bought a flat bed locally that was on another '87 Toyota. Here is the old bed after I took it off.

012.JPG 013.JPG

Here is the flat bed on the truck.

010.JPG 011.JPG

It was a direct bolt on, but I neglected to use rubber shims so there is some vibration. I need to raise the bed and put some in. I also want to put a hitch on the truck, and add another railing to raise the sides. I also thought I would add a hinge gate made out of round pipe and expanded metal. This summer I will add paint.

I still want to get another carburetor for the truck and maybe upgraded tires and wheels. Love this truck.

·
Super Moderator
5,583 Posts
Carburetor!! What the heck is that!!:laugh:
Seriously though, really nice kitbash T-Mo.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greg,
This truck is about as basic as you could get in 1987. Carburetor, 4 speed transmission, no factory power steering, no cruise.....but it does have factory working AC.:good2:

Reactions: Levi

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
T-Mo, I wish I lived closer. I have a '97 Dakota 4x4 and since I got my Mustang I haven't driven it like I used to. Mostly just for hauling and winter driving. The bed and whole underside is rusting out in the back half. It has never been wrecked as I'm the original owner. Motor, trans., transfer case and rear-end are all good. Noticed the other day that the front strap to the gas tank is just hanging there. The rear hanger to the left rear springs is completely rusted out and the spring is up against the bottom of the bed. It's to good of a truck to get rid of but to dangerous to drive. I'm thinking what you did to yours is a good idea to do to mine but not only don't I have a welder, I don't weld. I'll have to check around and see if there is anybody around here that can do something like this. I didn't even think of it till I seen yours, Thanks for the idea.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Nice job, T-Mo!! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Awesome old mini flat bed!
Old Toyota enthusiast myself.:thumbup1gif:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,510 Posts
Nice truck, with the flatbed. :thumbup1gif:

I love the old Toyota trucks. Had one for a while. Tuff as nails, but that seat!! Felt like I was sitting on the floorboard. :dunno:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Nice score. Looks good, I would love to find a reasonably priced flatbed for my Dodge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts