Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
17,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since new buildings seem to very popular lately, I thought I would add links to mine that's now 1 1/2 years old-but still a work in progress. For those who have seen this before, there are a lot of new pictures in the Finishing Touches album showing the driveway, retaining wall, concrete pour in the rear, and ceiling installation in the rear.

Day One

Day Two

Day Three

Day Four

Day Five

Finishing Touches

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I like the finishing touches. That metal on the outside part makes the difference :good2:.

Are you worried about untreated wood on the concrete where you did the shelves?

Yet another plan I have for this winter is to dig up the cheap corrugated 4" pipe I put in for my last 50 feet and put in smooth stuff. We've had a lot of birds try to nest in the gutter this year, and it's clogged up a bit. On a big rain, I get overflow. I also need to put clean out traps in one section that is really blocked. 3 years without a problem, then this year it's bird nest city.

Pete

·
Registered
278 Posts
The finished back 12' looks great Ken. Can't wait to see it in person the next time I'm up there.

·
Administrator
17,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the finishing touches. That metal on the outside part makes the difference :good2:.

Are you worried about untreated wood on the concrete where you did the shelves?

Yet another plan I have for this winter is to dig up the cheap corrugated 4" pipe I put in for my last 50 feet and put in smooth stuff. We've had a lot of birds try to nest in the gutter this year, and it's clogged up a bit. On a big rain, I get overflow. I also need to put clean out traps in one section that is really blocked. 3 years without a problem, then this year it's bird nest city.

Pete
Thanks Pete, now worries on the shelf supports-if they rot away in 10 years I will just replace them, everything is screwed together so it would be easy. I know quite well that I may have to dig up that cheap pipe in the future-that's why I did not put it near the building but rather in the woods. Oh well, more time on the mini...

·
Administrator
17,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The finished back 12' looks great Ken. Can't wait to see it in person the next time I'm up there.
Thanks Erik, if it ever cools off a little we can meet up for a ride maybe...

·
Registered
771 Posts
Thats a nice building kenny, great pictures of the project too.... It looks very well built and adds beauty to the property as well :good2:

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Very nice job and I really enjoyed your detailed pictures of the progress. I picked up a couple of ideas from those pictures that I may use in my new barn / shed. Thanks.

A couple of questions: I noticed in your slab preparation that you installed a layer of 4' x 8' pieces of some type of material on top of the ground before putting down the plastic and wire. I've never seen that done in Alabama. Is the purpose for that insulation?

In Alabama, the uninsulated roof would literally "rain" condensation all over the inside of the building. Apparently you don't have that problem in your area.

Why did you choose to not insulate the ceiling and walls?

I noticed you got the family involved. That makes any project worthwhile and builds lasting memories the kids will cherish later on in life.

Congrats on a great building.

·
Administrator
17,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice job and I really enjoyed your detailed pictures of the progress. I picked up a couple of ideas from those pictures that I may use in my new barn / shed. Thanks.

A couple of questions: I noticed in your slab preparation that you installed a layer of 4' x 8' pieces of some type of material on top of the ground before putting down the plastic and wire. I've never seen that done in Alabama. Is the purpose for that insulation?
Thanks UW! The material you saw is 2" thick rigid foam board for insulation. It is supposed to help with moisture and condensation because the slab is insulated from the ground.

In Alabama, the uninsulated roof would literally "rain" condensation all over the inside of the building. Apparently you don't have that problem in your area.
I have read of that very problem myself. So far the only time it's done that is when I had a propane torpedo heater going full blast last year while doing the EL work.

Why did you choose to not insulate the ceiling and walls?
Money, and the fact that this is a storage building, not a workshop. If I did it again I would have had them do the bubble wrap stuff on the ceiling just for the he!! of it. The OSB on the walls is all screwed in place so if I ever want/need to insulate them it can be removed easily then put back in place. Spray foam would be my choice.

I noticed you got the family involved. That makes any project worthwhile and builds lasting memories the kids will cherish later on in life.

Congrats on a great building.
Thanks again UW.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Looking good Ken. :thumbup1gif: Thanks for the update.

·
Administrator
17,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Question for Kenny

Kenny,

Since it's been almost two years now, would you do anything different on the shelves you built in your new shed?

I went back and looked at your shelves would like to know what the dimesions of the shelves were? When you have time, could you please let me know?

I have a urge to build me some just like them. Thanks,

·
Administrator
17,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kenny,

Since it's been almost two years now, would you do anything different on the shelves you built in your new shed?

I went back and looked at your shelves would like to know what the dimesions of the shelves were? When you have time, could you please let me know?

I have a urge to build me some just like them. Thanks,
Nope, wouldn't change anything.

I used 7/16" OSB, 2x4's,1 5/8" and 3" screws for the materials. The shelves are 2' deep (one sheet ripped exactly in half) and 8' long. The goal was simple and strong.

If you need any other details or pics just let me know.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Very nicely executed project finished product is top drawer

I have a similar pole barn (24'x42') and found out after building that width is very important I understand standard size building products however I wish it was at least two feet wider to facilitate movement of stuff front to back

I was able to find a 12 gauge 100 foot retractable cord reel which I mounted on the ceiling in the middle. This gives me power every where in the building I don't need more then the 3 outlets because I'm usually working alone

Really like the covered "outside" storage much nicer then overhang lean-to's

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
As usual.............

.....a stunning presentation by KennyD...! Thanks again! When I had the chance, earlier this Fall, to visit my Duck-Huntin' buddy in Delaware, he had found a source for the racks that they use in Home Depot or Lowe's. There were a number of them that went out of business. Builder's Square comes to mind....What an awesome find for him! Yeah, some cutting and fitting, but what nice storage! Like I said in earlier posts, I'm kinda stalled, financially, hunting, and weather-wise, but we'll 'Git-er-Done". Hope all are well. Best regards! ~Scotty

1 - 15 of 15 Posts