Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased this 265 about a week ago for $350..It was sitting 12 years in a garage and I'm bringing it back to life..

So far I have..

Flushed out the gas tank.
Replaced the rubber fuel lines.
Changed oil and filter in the transaxle.
Changed oil and filter in motor.
Changed the drive belt.
Ordered a new carb and fuel pump..

I have also started repairing some of the rust. I figure I'll give it a 10 footer paint job before I start resembling. I will also have the deck sandblasted after I get the tractor back together. I'll check all the bearings and replace the belts..

Once I get ready to start this thing I plan on pulling the spark plug and turning the engine over a few times to get the oil moving.. My concern is the engine has not run or had oil flow through it for 12 years...I don't want to stress under-lubricated parts.. I guess I will see what happens.. When I pulled the battery it had a date of 2002.. lol...

Here are a few photos..

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say you got a good deal! Looks great for its age. I see newer ones that look worse every day.
I did, I also got a dethatcher with it as well. I'm not sure how many hours it has, I will find out next week when I get it running.. I'm just waiting for parts.. I believe the people I purchased it from were having it serviced at the dealer up until the father passed away.. Then the family parked it and let it sit in their garage. They sent me a message the other day saying they found the book and a bunch of receipts for it. They are sending them in the mail.. I can't wait to hear it run...

·
Premium Member
7,702 Posts
Spare Parts For Sale

Check the "for sale" section. I have some new spare parts from my stolen JD 285 that may work with your 265.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got the painting done and have it reassembled.. The paint job came out pretty good.. I used the JD paint I got at the dealer and a Harbor Freight spray gun.. It worked well.. 20 fl. oz. HVLP Gravity Feed Air Spray Gun I'm now in the process of stripping the deck to get it ready for sandblasting.. Still have not heard it run..waiting for carb gaskets..

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, 2 of the 3 gaskets I needed came in..the third has been discontinued.. I will have to get it on ebay..I used the old one as a temporary fix, but as the saying goes.."there is noting more permanent than a temporary fix"... I installed the new carb and fuel pump and fired the thing up.. After sitting for 12 years this thing let out a huge cloud of smoke.. I actually started to get worried because it did not clear up for about 3 - 4 minutes.. but it did clear up.. I was also disappointed to see the hour meter is not working.. I'll have to check it out further.. but here it is running again.. now onto rebuilding the deck...

·
Registered
120 Posts
my 260 has been in the family since it was brand new, and I don't ever remember it looking half as good as yours. These are pretty solid machines, I got mine in a similar situation, sitting around in my dad's barn for the better part of a decade brought it home threw a new battery in it, and gave it a tune up and it runs like a champ.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my 260 has been in the family since it was brand new, and I don't ever remember it looking half as good as yours. These are pretty solid machines, I got mine in a similar situation, sitting around in my dad's barn for the better part of a decade brought it home threw a new battery in it, and gave it a tune up and it runs like a champ.
Yes, one family had owned this one for 30 years, now I will keep it and use it for as long as I can.. My brother has been eyeing it up, I may need to get a food taster. :laugh: I drove it around the yard and was shocked how solid these machines are.. It will have a fairly easy life with me, I'm only using it to cut less than 1/3 of and acre of grass.. I also enjoy working on it so it will be maintained regularly..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the parts primed. I used rust-oleum metal primer. I was going to use the JD primer, but the dealer did not have any QT's in stock. He said there was not much call for it.. He only has spray cans..

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also got to spray some finish on the parts as well, they look nice considering some pitting where the rust was.. Not bad for a 30 year old deck..

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm still in the middle of rebuilding the hubs/ spindles. I do need to make another run to the hardware store for all new nuts and bolts.. No rush..grass won't be growing to much for a few months...

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
That is One Nice tree catcher(that's the nick name of this series of the 200 series do to the Lift handle) You Have. I Had it's Little Brother a JD 240 for 12 years Bought it new In 1988 sold it to My cousin in 2000 and it still going strong for Him Just doing snow removal and tilling:bigthumb:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, finished the deck rebuild..I ended up giving it a second coat of paint..seen a few spots of primer so while I had it paint ready it took no time to paint it again... all new spindle bearings, a new idler pulley, new bushings on the belt tensioner, new belt, new blades.. Really came out nice..

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One issue I had during reassembly was the one spindle with the jack shaft for the power flow. The jack shaft is held on by a rod coupling, you can see it sticking up above the shaft.. When you try and tighten the "coupling nut" it would bind the bearings in the hub.. so... I purchased a 3/4-16 x 3/4 set screw and ran it down the coupling and used it to hold the coupling nut in place... there should have been a lock nut there..but no way of getting a socket on one with that setup..It works well and everything is tight with no binding..

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the deck back on the tractor and used it to cut my grass and tow my cart to trim trees.. Runs really smooth and no vibrations.. now to check out the front wheels and axle..lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
What an awesome job you did with this. Looks great. Congrats. :good2:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is some information I received from the original owners family. It may be of some help to someone..

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts