Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to pick up another 300 series to have in addition to my 318. The goal is to have one that is mostly dedicated to mowing while the other does work with the other attachments (back blade, front blade, etc...).

So I ended up with this '86 316 Onan. I bought it knowing it had possibly a major engine issue, but the price was good enough and the rest of the tractor is in nice shape so I picked up it.

Until I get the engine out and get a better idea of how bad the damage is, I'm on the fence on whether or not to rebuild or repower. Another option is to look for another B43 to put in it, but I'm not sure it's worth it, but it would likely be the cheapest option.

·
Super Moderator
5,999 Posts
Maybe look for a P218.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I put a P220 in my 316. Had to make an adapter for the driveshaft as you need a longer one for the P series engines.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have the original engine from my 84 316. It runs, but needs rebuilt. Smokes pretty good.

Reactions: glc

·
Super Moderator
5,999 Posts
I had the P218G rebuilt for my '87 316! That was in 2011. I sold the tractor in 2017!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've had this tractor back together for a little while now, and I'm pretty happy with it. It mows really well with the new engine. I also picked up a power flow bagger system for it recently. Hoping to get an update video out soon.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Late to the party, but that poor Onan...that's what happens when someone ignores a rod knock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts