1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Nice looking 318! Hopefully it serves you well. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
I wouldn’t bother with the deck. It’s a 6 hour project to remove the loader so you can use a mower.

Reactions: Titleist1

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn’t bother with the deck. It’s a 6 hour project to remove the loader so you can use a mower.
I've previously heard about two hours, but either way, it'll be a while before I decide whether or not to bother with it. I do have the stands for the loader which should make things a little easier. The steps in the manual don't seem to be too bad, but from what I understand, it's removing the subframe that can be a real pain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good luck with your JD 318 with 44 loader. i have a 1991 JD 318 and I absolutely love it. I would love to have a 44 loader also. Did your 318 come with the loader or did you buy it seperate ? What do those 44 loaders cost if I may ask ? Im in western ,pa so if you ever see or hear of any for sale ,please let me know. Look forward to seeing more of your posts with the JD 318 and 44 loader. Have fun.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good luck with your JD 318 with 44 loader. i have a 1991 JD 318 and I absolutely love it. I would love to have a 44 loader also. Did your 318 come with the loader or did you buy it seperate ? What do those 44 loaders cost if I may ask ? Im in western ,pa so if you ever see or hear of any for sale ,please let me know. Look forward to seeing more of your posts with the JD 318 and 44 loader. Have fun.
I bought this as a package as you see it, so I didn't buy the loader separate. Got it in the Altoona area.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got around to changing the transaxle fluid and filter this weekend as well changing the fluid/cleaning the straining in the loader as well. I did take it out and play a little. It's apparent that I need more ballast weight. Even with nothing in the bucket, I had traction issues in my yard. I didn't really expect that with the weights and fluid filled tires, but it didn't grab real well on a grass and a slight hill.

I'd like to get some sort of bracket for the 3-point that will hold my suitcase weights. I have 4 of those now and wouldn't mind picking up a couple more, 6 would give me an additional 250lbs + the bracket's weight.

Other than spending $300+ on a 3-point weight bracket, are there many other options out there other than a ballast box?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I've previously heard about two hours, but either way, it'll be a while before I decide whether or not to bother with it. I do have the stands for the loader which should make things a little easier. The steps in the manual don't seem to be too bad, but from what I understand, it's removing the subframe that can be a real pain.
I used to have a 20 loader on my 400 and its a similar set up. I could take the loader off in about 45 minutes but I had to take it apart in pieces. Putting it on by myself was a 1-2 hour project, with a buddy it can be done in an hour or less. It is just heavy and awkward to move around. I would not get a mower deck for the 318 if you intend to use this loader a lot because it is simply too much work to go back and forth.

I would look at Ruegg MFG - Cable Rollers, Hitch Kits, and Drawbars for a draw bar since it appears you have the three point hitch. I have one and you can mount 4 suitcase weights on them. You can order (used to be able to) 42lb suitcase weights thru Lowes or Home Depot and the price (if you have free shipping to the store) was much cheaper than the dealer. That may have changed over the years so shop around. You will have to compare costs to see if it's cheaper than getting a ballast box.

You might be able to rig something up homemade for ballast, seen plenty of creative solutions or if you have some sort of heavy attachment like a box blade you can hang that off the end. You will not be able to get full use out of a loader on a GT until you get some sort of ballast in the back. The wheel weights help but having ballast hanging past the rear axle is even better for these small tractors. Have fun with the loader, you will get a lot of use out of it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used to have a 20 loader on my 400 and its a similar set up. I could take the loader off in about 45 minutes but I had to take it apart in pieces. Putting it on by myself was a 1-2 hour project, with a buddy it can be done in an hour or less. It is just heavy and awkward to move around. I would not get a mower deck for the 318 if you intend to use this loader a lot because it is simply too much work to go back and forth.

I would look at Ruegg MFG - Cable Rollers, Hitch Kits, and Drawbars for a draw bar since it appears you have the three point hitch. I have one and you can mount 4 suitcase weights on them. You can order (used to be able to) 42lb suitcase weights thru Lowes or Home Depot and the price (if you have free shipping to the store) was much cheaper than the dealer. That may have changed over the years so shop around. You will have to compare costs to see if it's cheaper than getting a ballast box.

You might be able to rig something up homemade for ballast, seen plenty of creative solutions or if you have some sort of heavy attachment like a box blade you can hang that off the end. You will not be able to get full use out of a loader on a GT until you get some sort of ballast in the back. The wheel weights help but having ballast hanging past the rear axle is even better for these small tractors. Have fun with the loader, you will get a lot of use out of it.
Yeah, I have a 3-point. I was thinking about ordering one that Heavy Hitch makes. They make one that holds 6 weights. I have 6 I can use already, and I think couple with the wheel weights that should be sufficient.

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
I bought a 47 blower and the seller use a 318/44 to load it. He had 150lbs off wheel weights, plus 10 suitcase weights and someone still had to stand on the rear of the tractor so it would lift the blower, not the wheels. Once up my truck was backed under it.

On my 420 I have 700lbs and still need another 200 to operate safely.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the last time I used the 318, I was moving some dirt, digging pretty hard into this really large pile of top soil I have that was left on the property. One of the times I dug in pretty hard, the tractor started the typical surging that these like to do. It had this surge when I bought it, and I took the carb apart and cleaned it, fixed the issue.

So I did the same thing this time, but when I opened up the carb, the bowl was completely empty. I went through cleaning it like I did before, and it once again fixed my surging issue. Question is, is it normal for the bowl to be empty after sitting a little while?? I remember it having fuel in it the first time I opened it up, but this time it was bone dry. It'd been about 2 weeks since I started it, and I did shut the fuel valve off after I shut it off last time.

·
Super Moderator
5,616 Posts
I don't have it anymore, but the bowl on my '87 316 with the P218G would empty after sitting about the same time as yours. I had replaced the tank pickup along with a new carb and intake manifold back 2015 when I had the engine rebuilt. Maybe it just liked to screw with me. Sitting a week wasn't bad starting, but 2 weeks or longer and crank away to get gas in that thing to fire up!:banghead: Oh well.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't have it anymore, but the bowl on my '87 316 with the P218G would empty after sitting about the same time as yours. I had replaced the tank pickup along with a new carb and intake manifold back 2015 when I had the engine rebuilt. Maybe it just liked to screw with me. Sitting a week wasn't bad starting, but 2 weeks or longer and crank away to get gas in that thing to fire up!:banghead: Oh well.
Interesting, I'm just curious where it goes if I have the fuel valve shutoff. It's not like it can flow back to the tank.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It may evaporate and go out a vent. I have that problem on my cub 1250. I let it sit for 3-4 weeks and the bowl would evaporate all the gas out. I have to let it sit for a few minutes to let gas fill it again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts