Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been beat like a dead horse, but I figured I'd add my experience here. I did the hydro service at 55.7 hrs (yes, I'm a bad tractor dad!) and I did find bits of RTV and metal shavings in the bottom of the trans case, what was interesting was finding chunks of a grease like substance in there too. My magnet was in one piece, but did have the black/gray schmutz you would expect from this type of trans. The screen did have fine metal shavings in-bedded in it too. Anyway, glad I did the service, and would recommend others to perform this service it too. I need to figure out a better way of removing the rubber elbow, I removed the clamp on the screen and the upper most clamp and it was PIA! Maybe next time I will remove just the lower elbow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I went by my dealer and ask about the 50 hour hydro service and they said they do it at 200 hours on the small tractors.
Im sure they do, since thats the new spec from Deere, but it didnt used to be.
They used to specify changing it MUCH earlier, which is why so many do it at 50 hours still.

·
Premium Member
12,156 Posts
I went by my dealer and ask about the 50 hour hydro service and they said they do it at 200 hours on the small tractors.
It makes you wonder doesn't it. From day-1 all the SCUT and CUT tractors had an initial 50 hr service to change the hydraulic fluid and filter. The reason being to remove a lot of the initial junk left over from the manufacturing process. Everyone who has done the 50 hr service has found the suction screen to be loaded with debris. There's no telling how loaded up the hydraulic filter is. I don't recall seeing anyone cut it open to check.

So now suddenly the 50 hr service is out? Same tractor... same transmission... same debris in the screen...

They've done the same thing with the Kawasaki engines in the garden tractors. There has ALWAYS been a requirement to do an initial engine oil/filter at 8 hrs. Suddenly JD removes it from the manuals. Ironically, if you check the OEM engine manual from Kawasaki they still list the 8 hr initial oil/filter change.

I suspect that much like in the automotive world some of these changes are happening to falsely lower the apparent cost of ownership - at the expense of the owners. You can do what you want but changing the oil and getting all that gunk out of there at 50 hrs. is well worth the cost of 5 gallons of fluid and a filter.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw this post while I was work and couldn't respond, but I see others have already. Yes, my 2018 has no mention of the 50 hr service, like all the older models, but I wanted the peace of mind knowing mine was serviced and all good for the next 150 hrs. There have even been some posts on here about parts being found in the bottom of the trans case!

·
Super Moderator
5,536 Posts
Personally I wouldn't care what Deere's so called "new" policies are now. It's my / your tractor. JD doesn't always make the right decisions for their products. I am glad that initially with all our compacts that they did the very right thing and had initial maintenance a priority.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
15 Posts
It makes you wonder doesn't it. From day-1 all the SCUT and CUT tractors had an initial 50 hr service to change the hydraulic fluid and filter. The reason being to remove a lot of the initial junk left over from the manufacturing process. Everyone who has done the 50 hr service has found the suction screen to be loaded with debris. There's no telling how loaded up the hydraulic filter is. I don't recall seeing anyone cut it open to check.

So now suddenly the 50 hr service is out? Same tractor... same transmission... same debris in the screen...

They've done the same thing with the Kawasaki engines in the garden tractors. There has ALWAYS been a requirement to do an initial engine oil/filter at 8 hrs. Suddenly JD removes it from the manuals. Ironically, if you check the OEM engine manual from Kawasaki they still list the 8 hr initial oil/filter change.

I suspect that much like in the automotive world some of these changes are happening to falsely lower the apparent cost of ownership - at the expense of the owners. You can do what you want but changing the oil and getting all that gunk out of there at 50 hrs. is well worth the cost of 5 gallons of fluid and a filter.
Not to be a conspiracy theorist but the standard warranty is till 200 hours. If you don’t find problems...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts

I did the 50 hour service without removing the rear tire since I have wheel weights. Looks like I will be from this point forward. All I can come up up with is that I didn’t have it centered in the back hole. I took tire off and everything looked fine. I’m going to let my dealer know Monday as I already have some warranty work scheduled anyway. This is at 135 hours. I change mine yearly with engine oil since I have bulk engine and hydraulic oil on hand and don’t get near 200 hours. Nothing is back together as I’m waiting on a new suction screen. Is there anything else you guys would do other than the obvious?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,156 Posts
Pic’s of my 50 hour service. No surprises... I also cut the filter apart and saw nothing shiny or gritty.
By the looks of that filter it wasn't too early to change it.

·
Premium Member
13,338 Posts
By the looks of that filter it wasn't too early to change it.
Same thing I thought, also thought, now I wish I'd opened my filter up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts