Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a phone line to the house from our cabin down in our dingle (pictured in my avatar). The Panasonic system phone I installed in there didn't fit with the cabin decor, so a couple of months ago, I started looking for an old wooden wall phone for it, or a newer replica wooden phone.

Nothing I found met my desires, so, ultimately, I decided to build my own. I had some antique oak salvaged from a poorly restored dresser that fell apart (top and drawer fronts). It took a lot of looking on the Internet, and some thinking and figuring to get the design and all the functionality I wanted, AND be able to make it all out of the limited wood at hand.

I bought all the antique and reproduction works and trim on-line from PHONECO Antique phone, collectible telephone, old telephone.

Here is the final project, before I installed it yesterday.

Before anyone asks, yes, it works. :) The bells ring, and if I wish to place a call, I just lift the receiver and then lift the writing shelf to reveal the concealed TouchTone pad.

And, if I need more access to our home phone system, I just open the door...

And there is the system phone.

I even wired it so that cranking the magneto rings the bells. :)

Doing this, I learned how to make box joints, and plunge-rout the "picture frame" around the transmitter mount.

·
Registered
12,288 Posts
Very nice. That is a work of art!
:good2:I HAVE TO AGREE. it made me laugh as the OP was showing and telling if u want more modern, just lift this or pull this open, made me smile and laugh all at the same time. really nice piece.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
14,712 Posts
Very nice , looks like a old phone. :bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,404 Posts
Very Cool, SLOweather. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
7,672 Posts
Well done. :good2:

It reminds me of the old B & W Lassie TV series where Timmy's Mom would crank the phone to get the operator.

·
Registered
719 Posts
That is very cool. My father has one that he salvaged out of a trash pile as a kid. He did the same thing where he wired it to ring itself. He never took the step to integrate a modern phone, just hung on the wall for show. I have to say, your replica looks very authentic. The next time I am at his house, I will snap a picture of his and add to this thread. You should be very proud of your results.

Lee

·
Corndog Hater
11,685 Posts
That is just too cool. Thanks for sharing it with us!:good2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts