Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't think much of the small shoes that came with the 54" plow on my 1023 and today I corrected that. The new ones are twice the size so ware shouldn't be as bad.

String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory Rim

Yellow Vehicle door

Yellow

·
Registered
440 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Claudester - is the new one the on the right in the first photo? That kind of looks like what mine came with. When was your 1023 made? I'm assuming that the shoes would be the same for both tractors.
Yes, The one on the right is the one I made. The one on the left is the original as is the center picture. I got my 1023 in June. Where does it show the date of mfg?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yes, The one on the right is the one I made. The one on the left is the original as is the center picture. I got my 1023 in June. Where does it show the date of mfg?
I had something similar to a build sheet that came with my manuals, mine was manufactured in March of this year. It may be on the tractor itself but I'm not sure and I've gotta admit I'm too lazy to get up off my tukkus to go out to the shed and look. Maybe one of the other guys knows?

Nice job making that shoe, looks great!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,402 Posts
Didn't think much of the small shoes that came with the 54" plow on my 1023 and today I corrected that. The new ones are twice the size so ware shouldn't be as bad.
VERY nice. You should make more and sell them. You can also bet the new ones won't dig into soft ground near as easy either.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The shoes on my 54" blower are totally different. They mount on the side plates of the blower with two bolts on each one. The shoe is "T" shaped welded 1/4" thick or more steel. About 2 1/4" wide by 6" long with formed lead in on both ends. In another thread I explain how I added plastic pads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
genesusie - I couldnt' find your thread about adding plastic to your blower skid pads. I purchased all plasitc pads and while the wear may be okay, the problem I am having (I think) is that due to the plastic material I can't seem to tighten them enough to prevent them from sliding up and reducing the clearance I set. This is either due to the weight of the blower or the accidental down pressure on my way to the float setting. So I am thinking of cutting them down and mounting the skid part on the bottom of the OEM metal shoe. Looking for a good way to get this done. Thanks.
The first image is the OEM and the second is the plastic replacements from Robalon A150BS Snowblower Skid Shoes - Robalon Skid ShoesA150BS

Bumper Automotive exterior Technology Auto part Electronic device
Mobile phone accessories Hardware accessory

·
Registered
969 Posts
genesusie - .................. So I am thinking of cutting them down and mounting the skid part on the bottom of the OEM metal shoe. Looking for a good way to get this done. Thanks.
The first image is the OEM and the second is the plastic replacements from Robalon A150BS Snowblower Skid Shoes - Robalon Skid ShoesA150BS

View attachment 13846 View attachment 13847
High impact strength thermoplastic Polyethylene 1/2" thick mounted on the bottom of the steel skids is exactly what I did. It is supposed to be good wear against driveway. Make use of the two holes already on the skids. Drill holes in plastic to match and c-bore so the 1/4" screw head sits inside the plastic. Attach screws with 1/4" nuts, washers, and lock washers. I also heated and bent the plastic to follow the contour of the steel skids. Sorry no photos, even if I did I have no clue how to post them.

·
Administrator
22,257 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Round hardened shoes from a quad blade

I had the same problem with the stock shoes on my blade. It is on a 1026R but same problem happens everywhere. My driveways are all gravel so I set my shoes at least an inch below the blade to avoid plowing gravel. The stock shoes tended to dig in and when the blade was angles they really dug in. Also they are not hardened so they were wearing.

My solution was to use a set of replacement shoes from a Cycle Country quad plow blade. They are round so direction isn't an issue and they are hardened. These shoes look like an upside down mushroom and the shaft has only one hole near the top. They are meant to mount through a tube and be height adjusted with washers and then a pin through the hole. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the stock shoe and then used a piece of plastic pipe to space up to the mounting hole. I initially used a hairpin cotter but had to change to a cotter pin when I lost the hairpin while plowing. This worked much better than stock. since they are round direction is not an issue.

I have attached two photos. The first is my installation on the tractor. It is a bit of a magiver but I couldn't drill the hardened shaft and I didn't want to weld it in. The second is of an installation on the quad blade as it was meant to be. The shoe on the quad is a bigger and better curved shoe and it really works well.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Additional sources of round skid shoes

I wasn't really happy with my mounting system for the round skid shoes so I did some looking. Both Polaris and Arctic Cat have round skid shoes available for their plows. The Polaris part number is 2873423 ($25.93 for 2) and the Arctic Cat number is 0441-341 ($10.67 for 1). Both of these come with a threaded stud so they will bolt right up to the hole I drilled in the stock JD shoes. I ordered a pair of Arctic Cat through eBay. It will be a week plus before they get here. I am not sure if they are hardened.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.