Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I clear all the small brush out from the dams every year. It leaves me with small brush piles that are too small to pick up with the forks, and it's too in-efficient to use the bucket.

So I thought I'd try a beefed up piece of plywood that I could put on the forks. I can load up the pile, and cart it off.

The 1st picture is the bottom side. You can see where the forks will fit in. I used a 23/32 (aka sorta 3/4) piece of plywood with a 7/16 OSB on top. The OSB is there so it can get dinged up. I put metal on the long side (6'), and a pressure treated 2x4 on the short side (4'). The "fork grabbers" are pressure treated 2x4.

I polyurethaned the plywood so I wouldn't have to worry about the plywood when it was put on the ground or wet grass. Just for fun, I put polyurethane on the OSB, it was very thirsty. If the OSB gets too beat up, I'll just put another piece on top.

The other pix show how tight the fit was on the forks near the tractor end, I might take some of on the wood. I'd like to get the whole mess in about another 1/2" in order for the font of the forks to be in full contact with the meta. You can see in the underside shot where the ends of the forks don't quite cover all the metal.

There is a hole in the board where I can put a rope through to keep it from coming off the forks when I dump the load. This weights more than I wanted, but, it's far stronger than I thought it would be. I can stand (and jump around) anywhere on it. So it might be a good work platform too.

Pete

Attachments

Reactions: Hudsoner

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now as to the redneck party picknick platform, here's shot of the "table", a seat, and on the back side my ballast box with receiver hitch holds the carrier (or pic-a-nic basket as Yogi Bear used to say) for the outing. The table can hold a ton of food. Literally.

All I need is an umbrella to bungee on the face of the forks and I'm good to go!

I'll take some pix of the brush piles on the ground and on the table, an let you know how it all works.

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Your brush is so small that the biggest stuff won't span between the forks? a small chain or even a rope attached to the metal low and between the forks and wrapped around the pile and secured to the top center of that green device on the loader is pretty much what I use. Using the bucket, two chains from the edges at the bottom attached to one spot in the top middle being the other technique. Un hooking the chains is pretty insignificant compared to loading in terms of labor. Or you could lay out a chain, or two I suppose, pile your brush on it and use the loader to lift and tighten a bundle. I do sort of have a similar picnic table just no picture handy.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Cool......... Good idea.......

I use 4 pallets wired into a box on top of another pallet to make a box and use my 3pt carry all to tote it around.
It takes a little longer to break up the brush into smaller pieces to haul that way, but I don't have a chipper..... Yet......

I break it into small enough pieces to get into my 55gal burning barrel right away and it is easy to handle that way.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got to use the 4' x 6' brush platform in the field. Worked well. Next winter, when I clean up, I'll have it there when I'm doing the cutting, so I can pile directly on the platform. The platform holds about four times what I could carry with my B21 and a set of 2.5' long clamp on forks.

I need to buy the extension for my pole saw so I can get a bit further out into the pond- there's some brush that's growing beyond my reach.

All in all, it's a nice addition to the tractor tool box. Weighs more that I wanted, but, is more sturdy than I thought. And it will cut down on the time it takes to keep the dams clear of growth each winter. I suspect I can do a better job with the bar cutter this summer too. (can't spell sickle cutter....)

On to the next project, there is always a next project...

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Pete
Looks like you could use an excavator with a thumb to yank that growth out.

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Great idea Pete!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
616 Posts
Thanks for the idea Pete, I needed to move a bunch of prunings from the front yard, so I bungie strapped a pallet to my forks and it worked almost as good as yours!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts