Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second of my tractors profiles,

I just bought this 39 D a couple weeks ago. Needs a lot. Exhaust elbow was not covered for at least the last four years. Bought it from a metal scrapper waiting for the price to go up. $600.00. Going to pull it apart this summer and see what I need.

Part of the adventure is to see what damage the water/ice has done to the motor. I know, I have a problem..

BaconFarms

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some more pictures of my new treasure

A few more!!

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Where I found it!

Where it sat for the last couple years...

Check out that seat frame. Any idea make on that??

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Now thats a project!! I look forward to watching the updates. At my age i wouldn't even think of starting it. Good Luck:good2::good2:

·
Registered
568 Posts
thats a "styled D" to bring it back to like new its gonna melt ur credit card:greentractorride:
but if you love it price dosent matter .
i have a 1935 unstyled thats in my avatar. my only complaint is no road gear. so 5mph top speed. would love a 4th gear but still a great tractor and everyone loves the 8.2L with its gallon can pistons and 2foot rods:kidw_truck_smiley:
good luck

·
Registered
222 Posts
Very cool! I would love to get an old D!
well get down here to ks pretty soon, there are about 3 auctions, that i know of, coming up each with several D's on them.

Baconfarms, thats is a nice looking D, if you need D parts lets us know, there are several D/R salvage yards around me, keep us in the loop.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well get down here to ks pretty soon, there are about 3 auctions, that i know of, coming up each with several D's on them.

Baconfarms, thats is a nice looking D, if you need D parts lets us know, there are several D/R salvage yards around me, keep us in the loop.

Thanks, I will. No such thing as a tractor salvage yard around here. First, got to tear into her and see how much damage from water, etc... More to come!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Autopsy has started

Started taking it apart today. Should get the cylinder head sent out tomorrow for cleaning and crack testing. If that passes, then the cylinder comes off....

Hope for the best.

cb1

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
That's fairly ugly looking....

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think i have started with worse looking blocks, so that one doesnt scare me, as long as the machine shop and clean it up, its not like it has to be REAL exact. Besides, there are still a lot of blocks out there and donor tractors.

Keep us posted, may 6th is an auction out by mcphearson ks, that has a LOT of 2 cylinder stuff....i WISH i knew someone going cause i cant. I got myself committed to something else that day...so if anybody ready is going out there....let me know...ill give you my cell number...you could do some bidding for me haha

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Started taking it apart today. Should get the cylinder head sent out tomorrow for cleaning and crack testing. If that passes, then the cylinder comes off....

Hope for the best.

cb1
That looks like a fine case of it ran when I parked it.:lol: I have a tractor salvage yard not far from me, I can help with parts too. I've been there so many times lately Jimmy just laughs when he sees me. It might be the attack thistle thing.:unknown:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update on cylinder head

OK, got the cylinder head back. No cracks. Some pitting, but should clean up. So now I will take the cylinder off and press out the pistons and send that in to see if it is cracked.

Wish me luck,

BaconFarms

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A few more pics

More pictures of head.

BaconFarms

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One broken off tab

Anyone have access to a scrap yard or have a junked head that a ear could be cut off and sent to me would be greatly appreciated. My neighbor and I will fix the broken ear. Let me know if you can help and how much.

Thanks,

BaconFarms

Attachments

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
This is great....its totally amazing the skill you guys have to bring these tractors back to life....I salute you:usa

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stuck pistons 101

All, got the cylinder off and at the neighbors to get the pistons unstuck..

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts