Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick video of the "new" to my Dad 8N.

·
Registered
21,574 Posts
Just a quick video of the "new" to my Dad 8N.
Looks and sounds great! 8N's are quite popular around here but only a few in restored condition like that. A lot of guys convert it over to 12v and call it good.

It seems these things will run forever.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Nice tractor! How did you identify it as a 47? It's got the proper 8N hubs, but the 8s didn't come out until 48, hence the name. The 9N was introduced in 39, and replaced by the 2N in 42, then replaced by the 8N in 48. The early 8Ns had a front mounted distributor, I think they moved them to the side of the engine in 50 or 51.

I have a 48 down in TN I want to bring out here.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice tractor! How did you identify it as a 47? It's got the proper 8N hubs, but the 8s didn't come out until 48, hence the name. The 9N was introduced in 39, and replaced by the 2N in 42, then replaced by the 8N in 48. The early 8Ns had a front mounted distributor, I think they moved them to the side of the engine in 50 or 51.

I have a 48 down in TN I want to bring out here.
He pulled the number off the block and cross referenced. It was advertised as a '47.

·
Premium Member
14,152 Posts
Sure looks and sounds good.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
That looks to be in great shape and engine sounds strong.

One possible 'watch out' with the brush hog, if its like my old 8N, stepping on the clutch does not disconnect the PTO from the drive train. So the inertia from the brush hog blades will still move the tractor forward unless you shift to neutral. Hope that makes sense.

I liked my 8N, it was easy to work on, plenty of parts available, and it was a work horse.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have one too

I have a 47 8N also. The first 8N's were made in 47, probably late. And have the front distributor which is a pain, but after you do one about four times, it becomes easy. Mine needs a new set of points and a condenser every two years. Otherwise, it is my workhorse.

BaconFarms

·
Registered
740 Posts
Next time you have to replace your points, look up Pertronix Electronic Ignition kits. I have installed several on old John Deere's and one in an Allis Chalmers... Wow does it seem to wake them up! You'll have to upgrade the coil too, but I promise you that it will be worth it. The best part it that the electronic ignition kit is totally hidden inside the distributor, away from the prying eyes of the "correct police".

·
Registered
40 Posts
Very nice indeed. You need to install an over-running coupler on the PTO to eliminate the mower driving the tractor when clutch is disengaged. It is an absolute "must" for safety.
The front distributor is actually not too bad to work on, take it off and do it on the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
741 Posts
Next time you have to replace your points, look up Pertronix Electronic Ignition kits. I have installed several on old John Deere's and one in an Allis Chalmers... Wow does it seem to wake them up! You'll have to upgrade the coil too, but I promise you that it will be worth it. The best part it that the electronic ignition kit is totally hidden inside the distributor, away from the prying eyes of the "correct police".
Agree 100%. I installed a Pertronix electronic ignition kit on my Ford 3000 at the same time I replaced the belts, hoses, filters and fluids. It's one of the best investments you can make in a vintage tractor. They offer 6V and 12V kits so converting to 12V is not a prerequisite.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts