Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had gotten an x380 this spring - already have a bunch of mows on it. When it was delivered, the guy said he had leveled the deck and had everything ready to mow on it. Ran me through some quick operation and showed me where the tools were if I ever remove the deck. Away we go...

Now, I thought the cut was great. I had been push mowing our property with an old...old... push mower for 2 years, so the cut was still better than what I had been doing before. For kicks, I decided to check the deck level....way off. At the deck leveling height indicated on the tractor, I couldn't even fit the gauge under the deck at all. I'd say roughly 1/4" low. Is there a different way they'd level the deck and not use the supplied gauge? or did they just forget?

...anywho, here's my tractor in action! :greentractorride:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Px6IsIC0CY

·
Premium Member
12,262 Posts
At the deck leveling height indicated on the tractor, I couldn't even fit the gauge under the deck at all. I'd say roughly 1/4" low. Is there a different way they'd level the deck and not use the supplied gauge? or did they just forget?
Could you fit the gauge under any of the check positions? There is a difference between being unlevel and the cut height being off. If the gauge was 1/4" low all the way around I'd say the deck was level but just "off" on the cut height.

Quite frankly 1/4" isn't much to worry about from a cut height accuracy standpoint. It's possible the tech used something like a socket or a block of wood that he keeps in his toolbox rather than the actual tool for two reasons. That way he doesn't risk forgetting to put the customer's tool back in the holder and it also prevents scuffing up the tool and making it looked used. You can use anything of a known height in place of the little chess piece that they give you.

I check the level on my X500 quite frequently and it seems it is always off at least 1/4" or so.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you fit the gauge under any of the check positions? There is a difference between being unlevel and the cut height being off. If the gauge was 1/4" low all the way around I'd say the deck was level but just "off" on the cut height.

Quite frankly 1/4" isn't much to worry about from a cut height accuracy standpoint. It's possible the tech used something like a socket or a block of wood that he keeps in his toolbox rather than the actual tool for two reasons. That way he doesn't risk forgetting to put the customer's tool back in the holder and it also prevents scuffing up the tool and making it looked used. You can use anything of a known height in place of the little chess piece that they give you.

I check the level on my X500 quite frequently and it seems it is always off at least 1/4" or so.
I suppose that could be exactly true then. I didnt really pay attention to the level side to side/front to back other than that it was far too low to get the gauge in everywhere.

·
Premium Member
7,712 Posts
It takes a lot more time to get the deck height to match the the dial, then level the deck and not lose the height to dial match. If the deck was set up right as far as level I'd be satistified. :bigbeer:

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
In order to help much more info is needed What size Deck and What Tractor .
I set my deck (also a 758) after the tractor was home . It was level but the settings off very common as it takes time to match level the cut setting .

·
Premium Member
12,262 Posts
In order to help much more info is needed What size Deck and What Tractor .
I set my deck (also a 758) after the tractor was home . It was level but the settings off very common as it takes time to match level the cut setting .
The first sentence says X380 so we know it's a 48 or 54" which have the same leveling procedure. Watching the video I'd say it is a 54" although it is tricky to tell given the video is sped up so much.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I think you mow too fast......:hide:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The first sentence says X380 so we know it's a 48 or 54" which have the same leveling procedure. Watching the video I'd say it is a 54" although it is tricky to tell given the video is sped up so much.
It's a 48" deck!

·
Premium Member
12,262 Posts
One thing is certain, this won't be the first time you have to level the deck so you might as well get comfortable with the process early. :)

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I always set the deck at 3" on the dial,this way you have room to work.When measuring front to back the front should be lower (1/8-1/4).Then I measure side to side and set to 3".So no matter the height you set it it should be to the dial.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I always set the deck at 3" on the dial,this way you have room to work.When measuring front to back the front should be lower (1/8-1/4).Then I measure side to side and set to 3".So no matter the height you set it it should be to the dial.
I cant check right now, but I set it to the deck leveling setting on the dial.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Something I've come to notice, maybe you guys have too... Is that depending which way I'm turning the height adjustment knob I get a different result. Like in order to mow at 3.75 inches, I have to turn the dial above and then back to get it. Kinda like playing with a padlock.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,262 Posts
Something I've come to notice, maybe you guys have too... Is that depending which way I'm turning the height adjustment knob I get a different result. Like in order to mow at 3.75 inches, I have to turn the dial above and then back to get it. Kinda like playing with a padlock.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yes... I've noticed the same thing on my X500. The variation seems to be equal to one click of the knob. I've never gotten that critical with the cut height. I mean, I don't go out in the yard with a ruler and verify the length of the grass blades. I set the knob at 3-ish something and start cutting. :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
When my x739 arrived last week, I never checked the deck. I visually lowered it and went to town. And adjusted it on the fly. It cut GREAT.
Later that day when I parked it in the shop, then I decided to check the deck for level. It was all WAY out of adjustment.
Now that I leveled it the grass stopped growing. (keeps looking out the window at the ruler stuck in the grass)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 2016 X-758 with 60 HC Deck . The adjusters for the deck leveling has a half moon piece at the top it would not stop in the same place all the time . I found out John Deere changed that in 2017 now I am using a better piece on the top fix my Deck . it will stay level for a long time now I check it about every 20 hours mowing and it is very close .

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2016 X-758 with 60 HC Deck . The adjusters for the deck leveling has a half moon piece at the top it would not stop in the same place all the time . I found out John Deere changed that in 2017 now I am using a better piece on the top fix my Deck . it will stay level for a long time now I check it about every 20 hours mowing and it is very close .
Please provide more details. I am finding inconsistent leveling and keep looking for an issue.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts