Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Admittedly, not incredibly exciting but.... it was for me :laugh:

First time in awhile I actually read the instructions (don't tell anyone). I was sure wanting these hooks the other day when I was removing a stump. My wife wasn't happy about me dragging it either...
I took notice of some others, & in the included instructions to drill the holes first. So, that's what I did...

hooks1_zpsvmdyygkr.jpg

Using a C-clamp was helpful. I also dropped a bolt in after one side was drilled. My dewalt could've drilled these holes without the 1/4" pilot but, I will admit, I did use the pilot hole method. Was helpful to ease er through at the end of the drilling.

hooks2_zpsks7vppw5.jpg

Well, Momma don't want no ugly tractor. So... paint was a must. I scuffed em up with a wire wheel, & primed em. Didn't take a huge time investment.

hooks3_zpsrfycfqlf.jpg

I used a can of the name brand JD paint. After the primer was set, I applied 2 coats of paint, with about 30 minutes between coats.

hooks4_zpssgjwuzk1.jpg

Once everything was good & dry, I applied some silicone around the holes. I applied it to the bottom plate of the hooks, & lightly skimmed the big washers on the underside. Unfortunately, the pics I took of this step, were blurry. In total I took 3 pics that I couldn't use. 1 of the silicone application, & 2 close ups of the finished product.

I think they turned out good. My youngest son came walking up as I was finishing up. He said, Wow.... looks like it came with those! I was happy as well.

hooks5_zpsdydy6zpl.jpg

Now, it's just waiting to put em in use..! Maybe tomorrow afternoon. Depends what time I get home from work. Supposed to be decent weather, & I still have 3 stumps whose days are numbered.

I have to say, I was really impressed with Ken's handling of my purchase. My hooks were shipped the same day I ordered em. Showed up lightning fast. Did I mention he refunded $5 on the shipping cost..?! Who does that..?! :thumbup1gif: Well packaged, detailed instructions, product exactly as advertised. Thanks Ken...!

I'm already contemplating my next order..lol. Thinking either a clevis mount in the middle, or a D-ring. Not sure which yet. Not to mention, I just know my buddy is gonna want an orange set :laugh:

·
Premium Member
14,887 Posts
Viper21 ,, Now you went and ruined your bucket. :banghead::banghead:

Just messing with you, :lolol::lolol: Nice job Kens hooks .:bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb:

:hide:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Nice paint job on those hooks (though I painted mine Safety John Deere Yellow)... You might want to consider getting some of Kenny's 5/16" Rubber Coated Chain to keep from scuffing up the jaws of those hooks! He doesn't list it on his site, you have to ask (probably more than a few times) for the special order.:mocking:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice paint job on those hooks (though I painted mine Safety John Deere Yellow)... You might want to consider getting some of Kenny's 5/16" Rubber Coated Chain to keep from scuffing up the jaws of those hooks! He doesn't list it on his site, you have to ask (probably more than a few times) for the special order.:mocking:
I saw pics where some of y'all painted em yellow. I think they look good yellow too!

I've got plenty of chain. Been using chains for firewood operations for years. I did purchase a new 20'er though. I cut it into 3 chains. 1-10', & 2-5'ers. That added to my 20'er I've had for years, gives me more than enough. I have a 3/8" 14'er too. I've had the 3/8" for probably 15yrs.

I think the rubber coated chain is probably a good idea for some people. I've got plenty of paint for the inevitable scrapes, & scratches to come... :greentractorride:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts