Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and new to John Deere's. I Took out my battery and fully charged it, but when I put it back in backwards. It was only for a second, but there was some heavy smoke on the right side of the tractor as you look at it. I have a 2001 John Deere 4440. I pulled battery back out, and will see if there is anything messed up with that. What are the next steps. Tell me there is a main fuse...... What else would you move to? Starter Solenoid? Did I mess up the alternator or does this have a computer? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Sorry for your troubles ... not sure on your particular tractor, but I'm pretty sure that your alternator or at least the diode/rectifier in it has been fried. You said that there was a release of smoke on the right side, I'll assume that's the side your alternator is on. In the old days, you could replace just the rectifier assembly, but you may have burned other parts of the alternator, better to have that professionally checked out.

Not sure about any other electronics, your starter should be OK.

I'd start with checking your alternator, it may be shorted or open, but if you disconnect the battery lead (and keep it insulated), you can probably reconnect the battery to start checking other circuits in the tractor.

Not to joke, but you know that everything electrical or electronic works on smoke... once you let the smoke out, it won't work anymore.

But seriously, good luck, and let us know how you make out.

BTW,
:wgtt:

Welcome from New York.

·
Premium Member
8,091 Posts
Welcome to GTT and sorry to hear of your OOPS.

I have a 4200 of the same vintage and the electronics is minimal in these tractors, and what is there tends to be of the dumb variety as these tractors are still pretty much mechanically controlled.

I'll make two quick suggestions; create an account on https://jdparts.deere.com and get yourself the shop manual on CD from https://techpubs.deere.com as both are great resources. The JD Parts website is the same system your dealer uses.

The 'regulator' part number is LVU14116 for the 40-AMP alternator. I didn't price it out. If you have to replace the alternator, get the optional 55-AMP one, which is what I did a few years ago when the original puked.

Capture.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Welcome from Illinois. Good luck. :good2:

Reactions: pcabe5

·
Registered
374 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm not far from you- I live near Sherando Lake.
If you wind up needing someone to figure things out, let me know. I have a friend who is an excellent troubleshooter/mechanic.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
First thing I would check is the battery cables. Probably start by replacing both seeing you tuned them into welding rods. Also look over all your wiring for hard spots and or melted insulation.
Good luck

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Wow that sucks. At least you have a direction now and an offer of help.:thumbup1gif: Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
:gtfam:

Welcome, keep us posted on your findings. :fire:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,288 Posts
Well, I can't help but I can say...

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
:wgtt: glad to hear no harm no foul with the tractor.....

Reactions: Levi and pcabe5

·
Administrator
18,542 Posts
Congrats!

(Title is fixed)

·
Premium Member
15,080 Posts
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

Glad to hear everything is OK .. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
:good2:
Glad to hear there was no serious damage. But to be sure, I'd double check to make sure it's charging. A charged battery will easily turn over and start your engine, but if not charging ... you know what will happen soon. If your tractor has an ammeter, it'll be obvious if the alternator is charging. If it's just a light on the dash, well, I don't always trust them to tell all.

I'm just thinking that the smoke had to come from somewhere. :dunno: Doesn't hurt to double check.

Just my 2 cents, and once again, glad you got it started.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:good2:
Glad to hear there was no serious damage. But to be sure, I'd double check to make sure it's charging. A charged battery will easily turn over and start your engine, but if not charging ... you know what will happen soon. If your tractor has an ammeter, it'll be obvious if the alternator is charging. If it's just a light on the dash, well, I don't always trust them to tell all.

I'm just thinking that the smoke had to come from somewhere. :dunno: Doesn't hurt to double check.

Just my 2 cents, and once again, glad you got it started.

I put my battery check meter on it and it says that the alternator is charging the battery fine. I need to trace the wires out. Is there a big ground wire somewhere?

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I put my battery check meter on it and it says that the alternator is charging the battery fine. I need to trace the wires out. Is there a big ground wire somewhere?
Great there was no damage to your alternator.

Regarding a "big ground wire", not sure what you're asking. There is no big ground wire to the alternator, the engine and chassis is the ground path. Alternator is mounted to the engine. The large negative battery cable should go to the frame/chassis and there should be a ground strap (braided conductor) or cable connecting the engine to the frame.

If that's not what you're asking, can you be more specific?

Reactions: pcabe5 and OxPath
1 - 20 of 21 Posts