Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1025r bought new February of 2018, has 38 hours on the clock. While running it today cutting leaves with the mower deck, it began to lose rpm and power under load. A little sputtering too while bogging. The leaves were not very deep or anything like that. I did get it to act up while speeding up without the mower engaged, so I doubt the mower is to blame. I topped off with fresh fuel but did not help much. It's kind of intermittent, runs good for a while then acts up. I haven't changed any fluids or filters as of yet. The red ring in the fuel filter bowl was not floating at all. I drained it anyway but it didn't fix anything. I'm going to try changing both fuel filters and take it from there. I have been using diesel Stabil from day one in each tank full. I'm real careful not to let crud fall into the cap when refueling so I'm hoping nothing is stopping up the pickup. What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
2,450 Posts
Is the little fuel pump under the hood clicking?
If the filters don't do the trick, it could be that pump is failing/failed and not supplying fuel, or enough of it.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
1025r bought new February of 2018, has 38 hours on the clock. While running it today cutting leaves with the mower deck, it began to lose rpm and power under load. A little sputtering too while bogging. The leaves were not very deep or anything like that. I did get it to act up while speeding up without the mower engaged, so I doubt the mower is to blame. I topped off with fresh fuel but did not help much. It's kind of intermittent, runs good for a while then acts up. I haven't changed any fluids or filters as of yet. The red ring in the fuel filter bowl was not floating at all. I drained it anyway but it didn't fix anything. I'm going to try changing both fuel filters and take it from there. I have been using diesel Stabil from day one in each tank full. I'm real careful not to let crud fall into the cap when refueling so I'm hoping nothing is stopping up the pickup. What do you think?
There is not pick up, such as in a auto gas tank. There is only a hole into the fitting for the fuel line clamps to.
Be sure your fuel shut off did not get inadvertantly partially shut.
If you have recently purchased fuel, and it is not from a known reputable station, you may need to drain the tank and put fresh fuel in.
I would start with the filter. When both are changed, put the parking brake on, put it in neutral, do not start it, but put it in the run position and notice if the bowl filter with the red ring fills fairly quickly. Could also be the priming lift pump.
I cannot think of anything else, but I am sure others will be along before long. Good luck and let us know what it is.
Bill

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the little fuel pump under the hood clicking?
If the filters don't do the trick, it could be that pump is failing/failed and not supplying fuel, or enough of it.
Yeah, the pump is working. It clicks and filled the fuel bowl right up after I drained it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is not pick up, such as in a auto gas tank. There is only a hole into the fitting for the fuel line clamps to.
Be sure your fuel shut off did not get inadvertantly partially shut.
If you have recently purchased fuel, and it is not from a known reputable station, you may need to drain the tank and put fresh fuel in.
I would start with the filter. When both are changed, put the parking brake on, put it in neutral, do not start it, but put it in the run position and notice if the bowl filter with the red ring fills fairly quickly. Could also be the priming lift pump.
I cannot think of anything else, but I am sure others will be along before long. Good luck and let us know what it is.
Bill

I've been using the same station since I got the tractor with no problems. You never know though.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I'm gathering it is not handy to bring this to the dealer for warranty service.

You may want to check the fuel shut-off solenoid and make sure it is being drawn fully in. It appears the 1-series also utilizes a two stage solenoid. When the ignition is first turned on, both sections of the solenoid are energized to provide enough magnetic force to overcome the return spring force. After a very brief period of time, the section controlled by the instrument cluster microprocessor is de-energized, as once the return spring force has been initially overcome, it is not required to keep it seated. This reduces current draw and heat build up in the solenoid, prolonging its life.

If the solenoid is not being full seated, fuel flow will be restricted and could produce the fuel starvation issues you are experiencing.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm gathering it is not handy to bring this to the dealer for warranty service.

You may want to check the fuel shut-off solenoid and make sure it is being drawn fully in. It appears the 1-series also utilizes a two stage solenoid. When the ignition is first turned on, both sections of the solenoid are energized to provide enough magnetic force to overcome the return spring force. After a very brief period of time, the section controlled by the instrument cluster microprocessor is de-energized, as once the return spring force has been initially overcome, it is not required to keep it seated. This reduces current draw and heat build up in the solenoid, prolonging its life.

If the solenoid is not being full seated, fuel flow will be restricted and could produce the fuel starvation issues you are experiencing.

I'm about 40 miles away from the dealer where I bought it. I have a trailer to haul it in if need be, but I hate to do it if all it needs is a fuel filter and some fresh diesel. I also don't want to get charged 3 arms and a leg for them changing a consumable that may not be covered under warranty. I've got some on order from Green farm parts. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll call up the dealer and set up a time.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
Cover the basics before getting into the obscure......

Start simple and loosen the fuel cap to make sure its not a fuel system vent issue.........run it for awhile at varying RPMS with the cap loosened to make sure, but don't let anything get into the fuel.

Are there any fault codes in the dash?

Before you get into anything complex or expensive, I personally would drain the fuel tank, use a clean jug and get fuel at a different location, preferably where they sell a lot of diesel, like a truck stop. Try a different container of diesel treatment also, so you have all new fuel and all new treatment and make sure to run it long enough to burn the old fuel out of the system.

Diesel fuel can gets this waxy film on filters and components which is hard to see. I always screen all of my fuel just to be safe.

My money is on bad fuel.................hey, things happen.

Due to the issue happening both under PTO load and not under load, it rules out the deck and PTO issues for now.

It won't hurt to make sure the air filter is allowing air flow. Remove the outer filter and inner filter to double check. It would be very unlikely with such few hours, but at this point you are looking for issues.........Shine lights through the filters to check the air flow.

I have seen clear plastic packaging items sucked into air inlets or in one case, a new inner air filter was installed and the plastic bag not removed from the filter packaging. They put a new outer filter over it so when you looked without removing the outer filter, everything seemed fine.

I once found an air filter which had been so over-tightened in the housing when installed new it crushed the filter causing severe air flow restrictions.

Such things Seem very obvious, but things happen and people make mistakes.

Maybe something crawled in the air cleaner housing and is causing an obstruction through the little rubber flapped air inlet on the housing round opening? Trying to rule out sources of the issue so why not confirm the engine can all the air it needs......

Have you done anything or made any changes which could have pinched or restricted a fuel line?

What about any changes which could have pinched or impacted an electrical wire?

Are the battery terminals on tight and clean? (So low hours, they should be..)

Double check the ground......

Make sure someone didn't install the filter under the floorboard backwards (arrow for flow direction) or something isn't obstructing it.

All the basics first Fuel / Air / electric and the diesels don't need much electrical to run like a gas engine with coils, etc.

Reactions: Firemark

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cover the basics before getting into the obscure......

Start simple and loosen the fuel cap to make sure its not a fuel system vent issue.........run it for awhile at varying RPMS with the cap loosened to make sure, but don't let anything get into the fuel.

Are there any fault codes in the dash?

Before you get into anything complex or expensive, I personally would drain the fuel tank, use a clean jug and get fuel at a different location, preferably where they sell a lot of diesel, like a truck stop. Try a different container of diesel treatment also, so you have all new fuel and all new treatment and make sure to run it long enough to burn the old fuel out of the system.

Diesel fuel can gets this waxy film on filters and components which is hard to see. I always screen all of my fuel just to be safe.

My money is on bad fuel.................hey, things happen.

Due to the issue happening both under PTO load and not under load, it rules out the deck and PTO issues for now.

It won't hurt to make sure the air filter is allowing air flow. Remove the outer filter and inner filter to double check. It would be very unlikely with such few hours, but at this point you are looking for issues.........Shine lights through the filters to check the air flow.

I have seen clear plastic packaging items sucked into air inlets or in one case, a new inner air filter was installed and the plastic bag not removed from the filter packaging. They put a new outer filter over it so when you looked without removing the outer filter, everything seemed fine.

I once found an air filter which had been so over-tightened in the housing when installed new it crushed the filter causing severe air flow restrictions.

Such things Seem very obvious, but things happen and people make mistakes.

Maybe something crawled in the air cleaner housing and is causing an obstruction through the little rubber flapped air inlet on the housing round opening? Trying to rule out sources of the issue so why not confirm the engine can all the air it needs......

Have you done anything or made any changes which could have pinched or restricted a fuel line?

What about any changes which could have pinched or impacted an electrical wire?

Are the battery terminals on tight and clean? (So low hours, they should be..)

Double check the ground......

Make sure someone didn't install the filter under the floorboard backwards (arrow for flow direction) or something isn't obstructing it.

All the basics first Fuel / Air / electric and the diesels don't need much electrical to run like a gas engine with coils, etc.

Some good ideas to check. Thanks, I'll try those. I haven't done anything different since last I mowed about a month ago. It's been a perfect machine until today.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
You say it is intermittent. This sounds like there something in the fuel tank that blocks the fuel port. Can you see the fuel filter when this happens?
If the fuel port is getting partially blocked, the fuel level in the filter bowl will drop. Then when the RPMs drop enough, the bowl will fill back up & the cycle will start again.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You say it is intermittent. This sounds like there something in the fuel tank that blocks the fuel port. Can you see the fuel filter when this happens?
If the fuel port is getting partially blocked, the fuel level in the filter bowl will drop. Then when the RPMs drop enough, the bowl will fill back up & the cycle will start again.

I didn't look at the fuel bowl when it was acting up. I'll try to give it a look next time. Also, someone asked if it threw a code. I didn't see one, but, the red exclamation point error light came on a couple of times when it really bogged down.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Haven't seen it mentioned here but have you looked at or changed the small fuel filter under the left floor board? Sounds like that is your problem.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haven't seen it mentioned here but have you looked at or changed the small fuel filter under the left floor board? Sounds like that is your problem.

I've got that one and the fuel bowl filter on order and will change them both.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Yeah, I said filters, but, duh me, did not specify the two locations...

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
223 Posts
I am currently monitoring the same issue. On mine, the issue began with 160 hrs on the machine. After changing the in-line filter and main fuel filter, no change in symptoms. No kinks in the fuel lines; I even checked the known problem area around the main filter and on my model, it seems JD designed better routing to prevent kinks.

It also happens in the beginning of machine use. So after 5 minutes of idling (to warm up) and I go full throttle to start mowing. It bogs down, coughs, sputters, runs at half of selected RPM. If I put up with it for a few minutes, it "clears" and then runs like a champ for the rest of the mowing (1.5 hrs).

I suspect a fuel pump issue but have not had the patience to test it.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
I've got that one and the fuel bowl filter on order and will change them both.
I forgot that the 1025R has a 2nd filter under the frame. That could be the problem also.

·
Premium Member
14,896 Posts
You can go to Advance or Autozone and get a small inline filter ,, I know its not JD and and and . but they work and and after using them off and on for the last 6 yrs , they can get you out of a pinch.

If you've ever been to a car show (Carlisle) where cheap gas filters for a buck , usually they are in a 50 gal drum , they work .

My guess is the baby filter.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
And if it is the inline filter, they are also available in the lawn and garden section of Lowes and Home Depot. And it's a gen u wine JD AM116304. Nice to know if ya get in a weekend jam.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Yep, I get them on ebay. something like 12 for 10 bucks and free shipping.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A short update for anyone interested. I know I like it when an OP follows up. It's running even crappier now. It will begin to die just sitting at half throttle. I still haven't got the fuel filters in yet. Grrr. But I went out a siphoned as much fuel as I could get out. The fuel gauge is showing empty. My fuel can did have brown crud floating around in it. It looked and felt like balls of brown jelly/slimy stuff. I can't get to the filter under the floor without taking the mower deck off, and I have no way to move or store the deck. So, when I'm ready to work on it, I will put enough fresh fuel in to get the mower deck off. I'll take off the filter, let the tank drain and wash it out with some more fuel. Right now it's looking good for a clogged filter or tank outlet. I'm guessing algae? What color is it in diesel? I'm in Georgia so it has not been colder than mid 30's at night so I guess it's not wax jell? Maybe I forgot to use stabil in the last fill up. Maybe it came out of the station's pump, I don't know.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts