Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My great grandfather bought this brass tag 80 dump trailer in the late '60s. He died in1982 and this dump cart sat outside not covered in Iowa winters until 3 weeks ago. It was untouched and rust through the tailgate and bed after new tires and sanding, priming, bonding, painting, and then oiling here is before and after. I had fun doing it How does it look?
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
588 Posts
Man that's an amazing transformation and welcome to GTT from Mississippi. You'll enjoy GTT. Keep putting up things you do to your JD equipment and don't be afraid to ask questions. Just remember to post up any fixes you have for any problems you figured out. It helps everyone who may have the same problem for years to come.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Wow what a transformation. You did a great job in restoring that. 👍

Welcome to GTT from Wisconsin.

·
Premium Member
18,088 Posts
(y) (y) LOOKS GREAT

·
Premium Member
2,552 Posts
I think your great grandfather would be proud of you. Really good job. Thanks for sharing the story and pictures. Welcome from north Alabama.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Great restoration. I've a an old Garden Way cart with wire wheels and tires that look like bicycle tires. Have had since about 1970. Had a 2nd bottom in it for years to protect it from rocks and all that we'd sometimes haul in it. Finally removed the 2nd bottom. Original bottom still okay. Give the bearings a shot of oil every so often. Still use it some.

Years ago, I was using it as a saw horse. Cut off one of the metal handles. Replaced with PVC.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
11,136 Posts
Great job! Looks great!

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
1,978 Posts
Great looking restore!!! Welcome to GTT from SE PA, please stick around and continue to share your projects!

·
Premium Member
12,771 Posts
Looks great. Now I would not want to use it and get it dirty or worse......But somehow, I doubt its going to be a "Trailer queen"

Gee, I put new tailgate hardware on my 10 cart and also put new tubes in the tires and thought it was getting a make over. Looks like I have some more work to do on my cart.............

Welcome to GTT.............

·
Registered
23 Posts
Look's good. Now you need to find a 110 or 112 round fender to go with it!

Reactions: Levi and Herminator

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Real nice plus sentimental value makes something to always have

·
Registered
585 Posts
Looks great! The JD logo goes on the inside of the tailgate!? That's a strange place to put it. I'm sure you put it in the right place, it just seems odd that they didn't put it on the outside originally.

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
Nice work. I have a #7 that I just ordered tires for today and need to redo but first it is going to my oldest sons house. He used to pull it for me when he was 3 on an old rear engine craftsman that I extended the clutch out a foot so he would drive it.

Reactions: Levi and Mackford13

·
Registered
195 Posts
really nice job. I totally understand a sentimental attachment to things your dad, granddad used.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
really nice job. I totally understand a sentimental attachment to things your dad, granddad used.
Thank you, Yes my Great Grandfathers It was in bad shape new tires, Bondo, lots of sanding, and many many coats of primer than official John deer green 6 cans. New decals $120 in material cost is priceless to my DAD

1 - 19 of 19 Posts