Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my area, JD weights are like gold. So I came up with a plan to make mine from some lead I had around here. First, I made a mold for the outside. Dimensions are 11" tall X 7" deep X 1-1/2" thick. That gives me 40 lbs weight. I already have 2 sets made up. This will be the 3rd set. Here's the mold:

I use 1-1/2" X 1/8" strap to make the handle and hanger parts from using a HF bender.

I locate these in the mold and weld cattle panel wire to them for strength and locating them.

Now to fire up the turkey fryer and melt some lead!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
:munch:

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I don’t know about anyone else, but 40 lbs of lead around here equals approximately 875 .45 ACP bullets. It is a very good idea though, if you have the lead.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t know about anyone else, but 40 lbs of lead around here equals approximately 875 .45 ACP bullets. It is a very good idea though, if you have the lead.
I am lucky in that I did remodel work for a number of years. All mine came from removing old pipes from under houses/inside walls. May be a day or so before I get to melting the lead down.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
I think it’s great watching you crafty guys make things, if these come out as expected this will be right at the top with Herminator’s belly weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,577 Posts
I think it’s great watching you crafty guys make things, if these come out as expected this will be right at the top with Herminator’s belly weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The concept is great. I wonder, how thick you would have to have a pan if you wanted to do that same exact thing but using concrete instead?
Or, what the weight of it would be using your existing pan.

Hmmmmmmmm

Sure ask this when I just threw away the paper with the weight of steel, lead and concrete per cu in today. I know I could just google it but.......well I’ve moved on.:laugh:

PJR. The new guys are going to think I’m fat now.:laugh:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I'm not picturing how they mount?

I'm an idiot.

I see no slot like my jd weights.....where and to what do these weights mount?

·
Administrator
17,128 Posts

I'm an idiot.

See if this pic helps:

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,128 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

I'm an idiot.

Maybe these pics will help.

And some mounted pics on the 316.

When I get this pair made, I'll have 3 sets. In an area 9" wide X 11" tall and 7" deep, I can have 240 lbs of weight. They hang off a 3/4" round bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
PJR. The new guys are going to think I’m fat now.:laugh:
I actually thought of that while typing that post, decided to leave it anyway and let their imaginations wonder. :lol:

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Very creative solution. Do you have a scrap yard near you? The one by me has a scrap price of .95/lb which would more than cover used steel weights.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I worked on the weights yesterday. First was locating the parts in the mold and clamping them down.

Once the set up was leveled, I started the fire and got to melting lead.

Once it was full, I cut the fire and cooled the mold.

Got that one out of the mold and did the other one. I'll pull it out this morning and paint them.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I'll take 4 of them at your convenience. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts