301 - 319 of 319 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 ·
A few micro amps won't liven things up much unless your a bug
OK Britt
Let’s hear it
You seem to know enough about Fords your on that thread all the time. Gimme your take on the small battery powered zapper in the hot tub

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
OK Britt
Let’s hear it
You seem to know enough about Fords your on that thread all the time. Gimme your take on the small battery powered zapper in the hot tub
not much to say the potential zap is miniscule. Now i have seen a big zap. Was working at an atomic power plant when the main generator was being reinstalled upon its mount when the frame shorted the main power bus to the ground. Part of the mount and turbine generator simple ceased to exist. The amazing thing is no one was seriously hurt just deaf fir a bit and some were knocked down. At the time this was the largest operating power plant in California and the entire output was shorted to ground. Now that my friend is a BIG ZAP. Was at the paek of the summer and all power plants were operating at full capacity.
The after math was the utility company blamed the contractors of which there were several. Westinghouse was rebuilding the turbines but to make a long story short when the NRC was done with the investigation into the cause they pointed at the utility company personnel. The contractors had completed all steps to secure the switch gear main and secondary bus and pump lockouts and entered the data in the log. A utility employee had removed the locks because the computer indicated they were supposed to be on. The control room operator was responsible for loading data into the computer and that wasn't done. There were other similiar incidents at this plant all of which the utility company was found to be at fault. The plant was closed by a vote by the people unfortunately as it was a safe inexpensive power plant but suffered from crappy management.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
not much to say the potential zap is miniscule. Now i have seen a big zap. Was working at an atomic power plant when the main generator was being reinstalled upon its mount when the frame shorted the main power bus to the ground. Part of the mount and turbine generator simple ceased to exist. The amazing thing is no one was seriously hurt just deaf fir a bit and some were knocked down. At the time this was the largest operating power plant in California and the entire output was shorted to ground. Now that my friend is a BIG ZAP. Was at the paek of the summer and all power plants were operating at full capacity.
The after math was the utility company blamed the contractors of which there were several. Westinghouse was rebuilding the turbines but to make a long story short when the NRC was done with the investigation into the cause they pointed at the utility company personnel. The contractors had completed all steps to secure the switch gear main and secondary bus and pump lockouts and entered the data in the log. A utility employee had removed the locks because the computer indicated they were supposed to be on. The control room operator was responsible for loading data into the computer and that wasn't done. There were other similiar incidents at this plant all of which the utility company was found to be at fault. The plant was closed by a vote by the people unfortunately as it was a safe inexpensive power plant but suffered from crappy management.
That's a heck of a story.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I’ve heard the bounce dryer sheets work on mosquitoes, gnats, flies and bitting no see’ums. Not tried it myself. Just what I’ve been told

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This was posted on the Duke's mice thread but I thought it might apply here, kbar could wrap himself in dryer sheets before getting into the hot tub, maybe get them wet first then plaster them on. Keep the electric flyswatter in hand for extra protection.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
That's a heck of a story.
I went to work out there simple to answer a question in my mind that was, is atomic energy safe. While on this project there were several serious incident one of which could have resulted in a melt down all caused by the utility company.
I left with the answer which is; yes it is safe cheap power in the hands of a good company. However, what do you do with the waste which will loose 50% of its radiation in maybe 75,000 years? There is no safe place on earth to safely dispose of this crap the only answer is to send it into space to fall into our sun.
You should have been there when all that power went to ground the resulting explosion knocked people over flattened fences but amazingly resulted in almost no injuries. It happened in an instant the vaporized metals broke the circuit within a few milliseconds at most otherwise the plant would have suffered major damage. As it was it continued to operated non stop at a reduced output. there were three main turbine generators so two were still functioning. There was a back up system that used huge oil or Diesel engines to power the turbine generators if the atomic system went off line. All US plants kept all the waste they produced inside the plant covered in de-ionized water in giant stainless swimming pools. At least that's how i describe them. Was neat to look at they glowed with a pretty bluish light. The spent fuel assemblies were kept in the second of these pools the first one covered the entrance to the reactor and a system of conveyors under water carried spent fuel rods into the 2nd swimming pool.

sorry for getting off topic.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I went to work out there simple to answer a question in my mind that was, is atomic energy safe. While on this project there were several serious incident one of which could have resulted in a melt down all caused by the utility company.
I left with the answer which is; yes it is safe cheap power in the hands of a good company. However, what do you do with the waste which will loose 50% of its radiation in maybe 75,000 years? There is no safe place on earth to safely dispose of this crap the only answer is to send it into space to fall into our sun.
You should have been there when all that power went to ground the resulting explosion knocked people over flattened fences but amazingly resulted in almost no injuries. It happened in an instant the vaporized metals broke the circuit within a few milliseconds at most otherwise the plant would have suffered major damage. As it was it continued to operated non stop at a reduced output. there were three main turbine generators so two were still functioning. There was a back up system that used huge oil or Diesel engines to power the turbine generators if the atomic system went off line. All US plants kept all the waste they produced inside the plant covered in de-ionized water in giant stainless swimming pools. At least that's how i describe them. Was neat to look at they glowed with a pretty bluish light. The spent fuel assemblies were kept in the second of these pools the first one covered the entrance to the reactor and a system of conveyors under water carried spent fuel rods into the 2nd swimming pool.

sorry for getting off topic.
Very interesting stories Britt (y)

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Very interesting stories Britt (y)
I learned much from my time there. I was working as an electrician under a maintenance contract at the time.
Chernobyl incident was the result of the same type of errors the difference being they did not have the NRC< nuclear regulatory ...don't remember what the c stood for....ahh, committee....what a dummy i be> and highly skilled Union trained workers under the control of top international Engineering companies like Betchle, Brown and Root, etc...please excuse spelling, to save the day.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I learned much from my time there. I was working as an electrician under a maintenance contract at the time.
Chernobyl incident was the result of the same type of errors the difference being they did not have the NRC< nuclear regulatory ...don't remember what the c stood for....ahh, committee....what a dummy i be> and highly skilled Union trained workers under the control of top international Engineering companies like Betchle, Brown and Root, etc...please excuse spelling, to save the day.
I'm sure it was quite an experience. I've been in lots of coal-fired and nuclear plants making deliveries and was always intrigued with the inner workings.

Reactions: Kbar

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I'm sure it was quite an experience. I've been in lots of coal-fired and nuclear plants making deliveries and was always intrigued with the inner workings.
There really simple just big boilers and conventional generators. Its the fuel source that makes them different.

This thread is not for discussing atomic power plants<smile>

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
There really simple just big boilers and conventional generators. Its the fuel source that makes them different.

This thread is not for discussing atomic power plants<smile>
Yes, this thread is about kbar's hot tub, which could possibly become radioactive if he makes a miscalculation in his insect repellent procedure. Come to think of it with that in mind and the fact that he might be applying voltage to his water we might still be on topic here.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hey KBar, where's the pics of for mentioned project? Don't forget we want finished and in use pics just like any other worth while project. That way we can be inspired too!

Man my internet is wwwwaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy slow tonight. But all the finished shots are just with you! Maybe you should invite other members over to break in the hot tub????? Admission by beer donation. What do you say guys?

·
Premium Member
6,007 Posts
Kyle, haven't found anything on the racket in the water thing but if you want to go ahead and try it, please have Misses Kyle take pics, or a video! I'm not condoning this at all..
I knew a kid that always double dared us to have him do something, like stick his fingers in misses Bruso's oscillating fan, stop a bicycle wheel with his tongue, torment the farmer down the street's bull to no end while in the field with it like he was Carlos Arruza, Kiss the toughest kid on the streets sister, stick his tongue to the river bridge railing in January and we all took off and left him there. He is still alive today, unbelievably. I'm pretty sure you're not that type of person.. I think....
But keep us informed! :giggle:

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Yes, this thread is about kbar's hot tub, which could possibly become radioactive if he makes a miscalculation in his insect repellent procedure. Come to think of it with that in mind and the fact that he might be applying voltage to his water we might still be on topic here.
chuckle.....he may not even need lights at night with everything bathed in a soft blue light

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Kyle, haven't found anything on the racket in the water thing but if you want to go ahead and try it, please have Misses Kyle take pics, or a video! I'm not condoning this at all..
I knew a kid that always double dared us to have him do something, like stick his fingers in misses Bruso's oscillating fan, stop a bicycle wheel with his tongue, torment the farmer down the street's bull to no end while in the field with it like he was Carlos Arruza, Kiss the toughest kid on the streets sister, stick his tongue to the river bridge railing in January and we all took off and left him there. He is still alive today, unbelievably. I'm pretty sure you're not that type of person.. I think....
But keep us informed! :giggle:
Oh if he tries it definitely video. Pictures will miss good stuff. I've met him. He's a tough guy. My money is on him surviving but the video may be priceless.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
15,771 Posts
NRC< nuclear regulatory ...don't remember what the c stood for....ahh, committee....what a dummy i be> and highly skilled
Britt, Close but no cigar. :LOL:
NRC = Nuclear Regulatory Commission

·
Registered
3,480 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #318 · (Edited)
Grass is starting to grow in nicely.
Seeded it just last weekend

Sprinklers are having a hard time keeping up. It’s been hot and dry lately