Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm doing some final clearing of an old barn site with my Kubota B21 and JD 4520, park it all for the day. Happy seat time :thumbup1gif:.

I look over at my 318 and it's sitting in a pool of hydro fluid :unknown:

After poking around, it turns out that the plastic tube that connects to the glass tube used to tell the hydro fluid level is cracked and leaking. I flex it a little, and it just breaks off. It was the original tube, so it was 20 year old.

So if anyone has a tractor with this sort of arrangement, you'd do good to change out the plastic tube at the 12 year point or so. I did change out the big "rubber" hose for the return about 8 years ago, just didn't think about these plastic tubes.

Everything is happy now, all fluids changes with new filters. Ready for snow if that happens. I picked up my 5 gallon pail pump today, so the B21 hydro fluid is next on my maintenance list.

Anyone have any wisdom to toss my way about the fuel lines? How long should they last?

No pictures- it just wouldn't be right to show a Deere in this condition...

Pete

·
Registered
430 Posts
Pete,
I think you are just trying to find fault with the 318 so you can get an X7xx mower.:lol:

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Pete,
I think you are just trying to find fault with the 318 so you can get an X7xx mower.:lol:
OOOOOh Pete, and it is Christmas.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'm pretty good at "justifying" decisions, but, $2.00 of tubing vs. $12K for the 748SE with 60" 7-iron deck is justification beyond my pay grade. I have priced a 8' rear blade with wheels so that if I get too cold plowing snow (should be get some) I'll be ready to justify that purchase so I'm in a cab when dealing with snow.

I put $1500 into the 318 last year, I keep telling myself I need to get 3 more years out of it to justify those repairs. In 5-7 years I'll definitely replace the 318. At that point, if the replacement last as long as the 318, well, it will last longer than I will.

Which brings me back to the fuel lines. Does it makes sense to change them out, or are they pretty rugged compared to the plastic tubing due to their function?

Justification Pete would be upset if there isn't 3 more years of life, and Firefighter Pete would be embarrassed beyond belief is his tractor burned up.

Pete

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Well Pete, rubber lines do get old, hard, and brittle. I replaced them on a 25 year old walk behind blower last year. Not sure I would take any chances. Are they relatively easy to get at?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Seriously, I would definately change all the rubber fuel lines out on older gas motors. The new additives can break the old rubber compounds down from the inside out. This has been routinely discussed on The Hull Truth a boating forum that I used to participate in. You need new lines rated for ethanol use.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Randy & Steve. I know what I'm doing next week. The lines are fairly easy to get to, but more importantly this just doesn't sound optional. The bad hydro lines were my wake-up call.

Sounds like in 3 years, when the B21 is 15 years old, I should do the same "replace all hoses" on that diesel tractor too.

Pete

·
Registered
430 Posts
Pete,
One of the first things I am going to do in my new shop is change all the old heater and fuel hoses on the elderly equipment.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Good sound maintenance can save a lot of frustration. Not mention the safety issues. This is all stuff that can become easily overlooked. You just can't beat routine look overs, I find a lot of stuff this way as well. For me it is the satisfaction that my machine will operate when I want it to. Keep up the good work Pete.:good2:

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've got a pic on my other computer I'll post, but my F935 has the same setup and must have had the same issue...when I got it the sight glass tube, bracketry, etc.. were completely gone and it was just a hose...When I "restored" it, I put it all back the way it was supposed to be.

Hoses, I replaced ALL the rubber fuel lines, I had an issue with one of the fuel tanks (dual tanks) and turns out there was a crack in the rubber, so whever the fuel was below half she'd suck air (diesel) and life was no more good....when I pulled the other tank that hose broke in my so it was just a matter of time before that woulda given me a hard time too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts