Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Added to the collection today, 170 mile (one way) trip to the north & this hopped on my trailer: Tractors 2018 076.JPG

1944 "LA", something I'd wanted for many years! I do have the battery cover & belt pulley. It needs a few things, like the correct steering wheel, new fuel & radiator caps & probably a seat cushion, but nothing serious. New tires all around, engine & transmission have been gone through & new paint.

Tractors 2018 077.JPG Tractors 2018 078.JPG

·
Registered
11,649 Posts
:bigthumb:very nice looking machine there-. never rode one or was around one personally. now my dad's real good friend who was the nephew of the jd dealer here by my place, had one he picked up somewhere. but it needed a few items too. IDK what happened to it, after he passed away, but i haven't seen it in his shed, as i drive by his house weekly.:dunno:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,322 Posts
Dang that's good looking Lowell! :good2::good2:

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a beauty, Lowell. Looks like a good mate for the M.

What's next on your list?
Two tractors & a trailer this year, next one probably better wait a while! :lol:

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
That is very nice, Lowell! The LA is my favorite of all the old JD tractors and the only one I would consider buying if the opportunity arose. So yeah, I'm jealous, but at least I know that your LA will have a good home. :good2:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Very nice, grnspot110. Once I get done with the crank swap in my A I hope to get back on our little L.

·
Administrator
20,282 Posts
Very very nice Lowell. I’d be very proud to own any one of your fine tractors. :thumbup1gif:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,668 Posts
Added to the collection today, 170 mile (one way) trip to the north & this hopped on my trailer:

1944 "LA", something I'd wanted for many years! I do have the battery cover & belt pulley. It needs a few things, like the correct steering wheel, new fuel & radiator caps & probably a seat cushion, but nothing serious. New tires all around, engine & transmission have been gone through & new paint.
NICE! :thumbup1gif:
There is a similar one (I believe) for sale just down the road from me.

I really like your restoration projects, with nothing really needed to be done to the tractor what are we to watch for?

·
Premium Member
4,543 Posts
Two tractors & a trailer this year, next one probably better wait a while! :lol:

Looks better than new.

It’s a nice thought but what I see typically is it’s like cattle. Have one heifer have 1 calf every year. Have 2, have 2. Then it’s a bigger shed, trailer, etc. :greentractorride::greentractorride::greentractorride::greentractorride::greentractorride::greentractorride: well you get the point. :greentractorride: had to add that last one, couldn’t pass it up.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Beautiful! Congratulations!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
This guy impressed me with his LA.

Took an old Ark (Wheel Horse) and mated it to his LA. Everything was bold on so it can be put back to original easily.

Wish I could post the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is way too cool! I wonder about the production #s, wonder about how many may still be around especially in that condition. I bet very few.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
Production ran from 1001 in 1941 through 13475 in 1946 according to TractorData website!

This one was just repainted by the seller, has some issues, but I don't think any serious problems!

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What started my "need" for the little guys was another JD I'd wanted since Dad bought a JD "MT" as a "saddle horse" when I was a teenager. I hauled a lot of hay & grain the 10 miles from the farm I have now to our home farm with the "MT".

About four years ago, I saw an ad on CL for a 1953 JD 40S (Standard), first & only 40S I've seen in this area. I drooled over the ad for about a month before deciding to go after it, about 90 miles from home: HPIM3273.JPG HPIM1372.JPG HPIM1375.JPG

It was in overall good condition, but needing a paint job, picked up a 5' Ford front blade to use on it for snow removal: HPIM1388.JPG Pictures 2015 002 (14).JPG

Painted it in 2015: HPIM1676.JPG HPIM1678.JPG HPIM1687.JPG

Ready for shows & parades: HPIM1718.JPG HPIM1798.JPG

·
Registered
104 Posts
As a kid I used Grandad's 49 Farmall Cub he bought new a lot. I have his 74 Economy Power King he bought before he passed, which I got after Dad passed. It needs cleaning up but I use it a lot.
The fascination of tractors is amazing, I believe because of the simplicity and what they can do. The Farmall and Economy never gave trouble which amazes me considering what they have been through, pulling stumps, heavy loads, etc.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 44 Posts