Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by my local John Deere Landscapes (LESCO) store and picked up some seed, starter fertilizer, and a new 50lb LESCO professional spreader. Getting ready to do some aerating and overseeding this weekend.

Anyone else doing any overseeding projects?

BTW, customer service at JD Landscapes' customer service is FAR better than my local JD equipment dealer.

Reactions: LouMG

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I'll be doing some overseeding pretty soon. I made the mistake of spreading 4 yards of top and seeding during the hottest of the summer... My well wouldn't support the amount of water the new seed (even in the shady areas) needed for that heat. Grass and some weeds grew pretty sparsely so I'll use the front dethatcher set all the way down and scratch it up first and seed it again. That dethatcher works real good preparing lawn seedbed. (I'm also thinking of Round Upping it first and going from scratch...)

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
I'll be doing some overseeding pretty soon. I made the mistake of spreading 4 yards of top and seeding during the hottest of the summer... My well wouldn't support the amount of water the new seed (even in the shady areas) needed for that heat. Grass and some weeds grew pretty sparsely so I'll use the front dethatcher set all the way down and scratch it up first and seed it again. That dethatcher works real good preparing lawn seedbed. (I'm also thinking of Round Upping it first and going from scratch...)
Had the same problem and issues with a new leach field we had put in this year. I am not starting over though, just going to seed over it and call it a day.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Anyone else doing any overseeding projects?
We intend to, at least the thin spots and am praying this fall season brings more rain than we rec'd this summer.

This is our process...please comment as I am always looking for feedback to better and more productive manners to approach a task.

a) mow the area to be overseeded very short (almost to the point of scalping)
b) core aerate the entire lawn
c) top dress the area to be overseeded with rich top soil (composted horse manure and lawn clippings)
d) spread new seed over area
e) rake the seed into the top dressing
f) roll the area with a lawn roller
g) water 3-4 times a day
h) as soon as we start seeing new growth, we follow up with starter fertlizer

Thank you in advance for any input

Reactions: trailjocky

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
"e) rake the seed into the top dressing
f) roll the area with a lawn roller"
Sounds like a sound plan! When I seed I always broadcast a little more seed on top before rolling, "just in case" and because I tend to over-do with lawn seed.

I don't have a roller, so I use "turf tires" and make passes with the tractor (Garden Tractor).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the info on the LESCO. I always have good service at the Ag dealer, but Colonie is 10 miles closer.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LouMG - Where are you located at?

BTW, the overseeded lawn is beginning to show progress. So far the rye grass has germinated, and now waiting for the Kentucky Blue Grass and Fescue to come up!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Schenectady county. Currently in California explains post time being midnight. Just finished aerating the lawn with a rental machine, spread Topper, and over seeded. Growing grass is tough here, no rain. Going home tomorrow can't wait for some seat time.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I have 300# is dwarf fescue in the back of the pickup waiting for tractor to get back from dealer. I need to finish adding dirt where my septic laterals have settled and get seed down everywhere else.

We have 3 acres (2.1 turf) that we built on 2 years ago. Its been a challenge to get it growing and I have tried both spring seeding and fall seeding. I have had very little luck getting things to grow during spring and summer but fall of course works out best.

Its all about soil contact here. The bigger patches of bare spots I have been adding a thin layer of top soil to which helps tremendously. I started out by rolling after the seed was down by honestly my best results have been leaving the dirt somewhat rough with clods 1 to 2" in diameter. Seems to hold the seed and water in pockets and as it rains the clods melt over the seed. There is no doubt in my areas with clods took much better than the stuff I had graded perfectly smooth and rolled.

I designed, drew and general contracted my house along with several other hands on duties with the build. Growing grass has been the biggest challenge !!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been three weeks since I overseeded and today made my first cut. Followed it up with a healthy dose of Milorganite to boot.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it's been just over a month and three cuts later - volai! If you look hard enough you can see the LA105 taking a rest and the X728 peeking out the doorway.

Anyone else had success with their overseed projects?

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looks great. Nice job As soon as the rain stops I have some leaves to vac up. First time using the Cyclone Rake since I got it last November.

Attachments

·
Registered
947 Posts
So it's been just over a month and three cuts later - volai! If you look hard enough you can see the LA105 taking a rest and the X728 peeking out the doorway.

Anyone else had success with their overseed projects?
Wow, that looks sweet. It is nice to see you had such success with the overseeding. We decided not to overseed this fall (even though it is better than in spring) b/c of the lack of rainfall we had in the summer. I think it was the right choice as we have not had any rain here in 4 weeks. Honestly, I am wishing for a hard frost so we can stop watering our lawn.

Again, nice job on your lawn Big Cat.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, I can't believe it came out as well as it did. I find myself staring at it as I head out to the car in morning. We have had optimum growing conditions as of late here in upstate NY lately - warm during the day and cool at night supplemented with healthy doses of rain.

LouMG - My father bought a Cyclone ake last year and absolutely loves it. It picks up just about anything it runs over and turns it into mincemeat. You'll have to share your experience with us once you put it work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
More rain predicted for tomorrow so I hooked up the Cyclone Rake XL with the power vac attachment. Works exactly like you see on their videos. Easy to set up, the 8HP Briggs is a little heavy but not impossible once you do it a few times and learn how to rest it and lift it. I drove the tractor while my wife vaced up the piles and flowers beds of leaves, oak and maple.Couldn't get it away from her. With my LX280 with the bagger I would get clogged a lot . What would have been 8'trips to unload was less then half of the CR capacity. Backed up easy and dumped easy. A full load of wet stuff might be heavier . It was 72 today and sunny waited until 6 PM. Leaves were about 25% moisture. It did not pick up the very wet leaves "glued" to the driveway or matted in the grass, more dry time would help with them.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I have not had much success as I would like. We have had NO rain since I put it down a couple weeks ago.

Any of the big areas that needed seed I covered with about an inch of black dirt and raked the seed in. I have been watering a few important spots near the house and its doing pretty well where the black dirt has been added.

I also spread seed on about two acres using a 3 point spreader and of course the part with no rain hasn't done anything yet. But even the watered stuff where the seed is in the thin grass or bare dirt isn't doing anything either. Without a slit seeder or a drill I just don't know how a guy has much of a chance just spreading seed and getting it to grow.

I think I am going to build a nice three point aerator over the winter which should help some but for now I think I have a few hundred bucks of seed that is going to waste. Just cant get anything to grow on top !

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I have not had much success as I would like. We have had NO rain since I put it down a couple weeks ago.

Any of the big areas that needed seed I covered with about an inch of black dirt and raked the seed in. I have been watering a few important spots near the house and its doing pretty well where the black dirt has been added.

I also spread seed on about two acres using a 3 point spreader and of course the part with no rain hasn't done anything yet. But even the watered stuff where the seed is in the thin grass or bare dirt isn't doing anything either. Without a slit seeder or a drill I just don't know how a guy has much of a chance just spreading seed and getting it to grow.

I think I am going to build a nice three point aerator over the winter which should help some but for now I think I have a few hundred bucks of seed that is going to waste. Just cant get anything to grow on top !
I've had really good luck using a chain harrow drag. I'll run over the grass/ground several times,scratching the dirt and semi-leveling the the clumps...then spread seed and run back over it one more time with the harrow.

Loyal Drag Harrow, 4 ft. x 4 ft. - 2128626 | Tractor Supply Company

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Doesn't that rip the grass up pretty bad?

My issue is I just have bare spots here and there and unknown types of grass on the north part of land that I would like to get tall fescue growing in. So really don't want to destroy whats there??

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sometimes one needs to to deconstruct before they reconstruct. Prior to re-seeding I cut my grass as low as the deck can get, basically scalping it. I think water the soil to soften it up prior to aerating. The aerator does a pretty good job ripping up what's left of the grass. After this, overseed and starter fertilizer and it seems to work pretty well.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
The problem is I am still in the construct stage so would like to keep the deconstruct minimal. But I agree with you.

We are picking away at it and the bare spots get smaller. I am to the point now that all future bare spots are going to get black dirt over the top of the seed. I just hope that the north acre with grass/weeds will take off a little this fall with the all the seed I put down up there.

I think I am going to build a really nice 3 point plugger which should help.

I am using a tall fescue blend and it doesn't spread like bluegrass. I was hoping it would fill in something of the spots better that way but hasn't proven to be the case !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts