Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start with the L/60 "Custom":

This was my first modified tractor. It started as a JD model 60 lawn tractor that I found by way of an area "trading paper". The 6HP Tecumseh was a blown replacement with spots of JB Weld on the block. I stripped the tractor down to bare frame. Since there is no "direct-fit" replacement engine available, I found a used 8 HP Briggs locally & fitted it to the frame. The ammo box is the battery/switch box. I had a pair of used 110/112 hubs bored out & keyed to fit the rear axles & found a pair of 5x12" wheels for the rear. The fronts are 6" rims w/tri-rib "tedder" tires. I had to make an extension to raise the front to level it. The rear fenders are trailer fenders.

The idea was to make it look somewhat like a model 62 or un-styled "L". It is mostly for tractor shows, but does get some use at home for light towing. ~~ grnspot

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Lowell,
Welcome to GTT - nice seeing you here. I love your customized tractors.

·
Administrator
20,462 Posts
:wgtt:

Nice craftsmanship! Thanks for sharing. :thumbup1gif:

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
I'll start with the L/60 "Custom":

This was my first modified tractor. It started as a JD model 60 lawn tractor that I found by way of an area "trading paper". The 6HP Tecumseh was a blown replacement with spots of JB Weld on the block. I stripped the tractor down to bare frame. Since there is no "direct-fit" replacement engine available, I found a used 8 HP Briggs locally & fitted it to the frame. The ammo box is the battery/switch box. I had a pair of used 110/112 hubs bored out & keyed to fit the rear axles & found a pair of 5x12" wheels for the rear. The fronts are 6" rims w/tri-rib "tedder" tires. I had to make an extension to raise the front to level it. The rear fenders are trailer fenders.

The idea was to make it look somewhat like a model 62 or un-styled "L". It is mostly for tractor shows, but does get some use at home for light towing. ~~ grnspot
Now that is totally "Cool" ! Thanks! ~Scotty

·
Registered
490 Posts
:wgtt:
That is one cool little tractor! Thanks for sharing!:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments!

I'll post some on my other "modifieds" here soon! ~~ grnspot

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Lowell,
Be sure you include some of your 70I from your avatar. And you can include a link to the build that's posted on wfm.

·
Premium Member
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lowell,
Be sure you include some of your 70I from your avatar. And you can include a link to the build that's posted on wfm.
OK, here's the 70 I: I just wanted a "Winter project" so in January of this year, I ran an ad on KC & DM CL for a JD 60, 70 or 100. Within a couple of hours I had found what I needed, plus a compete 70 with a stuck engine (next Winter's project).

I stripped the "in-complete" tractor down to the frame, fitted a 12-1/2 HP Briggs from an MTD Yardman & started putting it back together. The whole idea was just to have something a little "different"! I wanted it to look, somewhat, like a JD "Industrial" tractor from the 60's. I couldn't find R4 tires in 8", so I went as close as I could find for the rears with sawtooth fronts. I was able to find a newer JD front blade to adapt to it. It will be used mostly for shows & towing around the yard.

The plan for the "complete" 70 is to restore it to near original condition, IF I can get it running!

Here is the Weekend Freedom Machines thread: http://www.weekendfreedommachines.com/discus/messages/17/186289.html?1330920035

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,462 Posts
That turned out really nice. The custom maintenance stand you have is a great idea. That must be a back saver.:drinks:

·
Premium Member
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Very nice work and attention to detail, really like to see the cool things others do to their machines. Thanks for posting the pics.:good2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts