Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The salesman delivered my new machine last night. I had a metting to attend so all I had time to do was back it in, shut it down, and leave. One thing that made me mad at myself is that I have been to the dealer 10 times measuring and seeing how this will fit in my shop. I KNEW the ROPS was too tall, yet even as the salesman was pulling out of the yard and I was backing it in, I suddenly slammed on the brakes and stopped 2 inches before hitting the header in the entrance. I stopped, pulled ahead, and folded the ROPS down and all is fine. I already dont like how it rests against the plastic tool box... relocate the tool box? Remove the upper half of the ROPS? A spacer to hold it away from the toolbox? Bad design. Anyway, the loader and mower are on it. The 54 inch front blower is on a pallet just outside the door. I dont really want to put the blower on yet but we have 7 to 10 inches of snow forcast for tonight so I guess loader work may have to wait til spring. Todays plan is to remove the loader and mower and add the blower. It doesnt look much different than the one on my old 425 except it has 2 bearings to slide the shaft through and its a lot heavier to wrestle with. Not much else planned today so I have all day, although Im thinking even for doing it the first time, it shouldnt take all day. I have seen the blower install thread. I dont have 2 dollies and dont have a concrete floor for them to roll on but I like the other suggestions of basically doing it the same way, just without dollies. Slide the shaft underneath, thread it through the 2 attachments, install the attachments, install the shaft, install the blower, connect hoses. I always found that the grease did help and sped up the process. I did get confirmation that my Heavy Hith double weight bar was shipped yesterday but no ballast til Mondays delivery. I assome itll be fine, just a little front heavy for the first snow. I do have my old 3pt back blade that I could add but then it wouldnt fit all the way inside the building. I guess Ill know more about if its needed after the blower is on. Between the 6 42 lb weights from my 425, the 4 new 70 lb weights I got last week, and the weight of the hitch, I have around 600 lbs. I dont think Ill want it all with the blower but maybe without loaded tires Ill want most of it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
Congrats on your new tractor. Just in time. Enjoy it and be safe. :good2:

Reactions: greenharley

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
Congratulations Hiwire. :thumbup1gif: Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Congrats on the new tractor!
I hate to say its a good thing that you need it right away, but it just might be. Youll get some seat time to get acquainted with it early on.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update and observations...shes cold blooded starting but I expected that. It was 15 here. She coughed and bucked for about 15 seconds but then smoothed right out. Loader came off quick and easy. The deck is a lot heavier than the one on the 425 but its off and packed away. Now to remove the autoconnect attachment. It doesnt lool like a big deal, 4 pins and 2 hooks and disconnect the shaft? Then on to the blower install

·
Premium Member
13,654 Posts
Congrats on the 1025R :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Congratulations! You are not the only one that forgets about the ROPS...

Reactions: BigJim55 and Etkini

·
Registered
777 Posts
I already dont like how it rests against the plastic tool box... relocate the tool box? Remove the upper half of the ROPS? A spacer to hold it away from the toolbox? Bad design.

You could re-locate the tool box to the right side. That is where it is put when a back ho is added. You may have to research what, if any other brackets may be involved.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Congratulations on your new tractor.

The ROPS on this tractor is a pain.. sometimes literally. I couldn't tell you how many times I've had it in it's 90° setting and smashed my head off it. Once I figure out how to get those pivot pins out (I'm sort of afraid to just hammer them out since there was a ton of flex and vibration when I was trying it before) short of cutting them off, that top half is getting put away until I need it. If you get the iMatch or a quick hitch, it'll be even more of a pain since you can only raise the 3 point hitch up half way with the ROPS folded.

Do you have the engine block heater\coolant heater? It makes a huge difference in cold weather starting - in single to negative digits I can start with almost no smoke\vibration if I let it heat up for 15-30 minutes, and I imagine it's much easier on the engine. If not, try cycling the glow plugs 5-6 times before starting.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Congrats, looking good.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
So the wait is over. Congrats on your new :greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
I did get confirmation that my Heavy Hith double weight bar was shipped yesterday but no ballast til Mondays delivery. I assome itll be fine, just a little front heavy for the first snow. I do have my old 3pt back blade that I could add but then it wouldnt fit all the way inside the building.

I guess Ill know more about if its needed after the blower is on. Between the 6 42 lb weights from my 425, the 4 new 70 lb weights I got last week, and the weight of the hitch, I have around 600 lbs. I dont think Ill want it all with the blower but maybe without loaded tires Ill want most of it.
Don't forget your body weight in the calculations. Since there can be a big variable from low to high between owners / operators, that makes an important difference in the additional ballast needed. The operator "ballast" is directly over the axle (largely) which is very helpful.

If you are using the IMatch hitch, that adds the hitch weight to your total, which the IMatch weighs about 50 pounds with bushings (if I recall correctly)

So between the operator, the I Match and the Heavy Hitch and your suitcase weights, you are going to have plenty of rear ballast. My experience has been you are going to need more rear ballast for the loader work than for the snow thrower operation. The snow thrower needs the most ballast when you are transporting it raised, as when it's in use, its weight is largely carried on the shoes on the ground.

Just as you likely learned and felt the machine balance of your 425, the same will occur with this machine. It just takes time. With all of the ballast you already have I would certainly try what you own and have already purchased and in route before loading tires, wheel weights, etc. Personally, I like ballast which is easy to alter and change depending upon need, so I largely use suitcase weights on my carry all or weight bracket and in the winter, I have the ability to carry anywhere from 50 lbs of snow melt in 5 gallon buckets to as much as 400 lbs, during an ice storm on the rear 3 point carry all.

I do not use tire chains or terra grips and have not had any traction issues. I do have the cab, which adds 450 pounds as well as the carry all, which adds anywhere from 300 to 900 pounds.

Trial and error for your specific use is the best approach. The mere fact you understand and appreciate the need for ballast is the most important step.............

Congratulations and enjoy your new machine......:good2:

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
Update and observations...shes cold blooded starting but I expected that. It was 15 here. She coughed and bucked for about 15 seconds but then smoothed right out. Loader came off quick and easy. The deck is a lot heavier than the one on the 425 but its off and packed away. Now to remove the autoconnect attachment. It doesnt lool like a big deal, 4 pins and 2 hooks and disconnect the shaft? Then on to the blower install
Since you had the 425 before which is a gas machine, I highly suggest you ALWAYS treat your diesel fuel year around to avoid any headaches. The fuel treatment is inexpensive with a $20 bottle of either Howe's or Lucas treating 300 gallons of diesel, plus the good products add a top lubricant to the fuel to help maintain the injection system. It's a good habit to be in to always run treated fuel as it dramatically reduces your fuel related issues.

Despite the claims that most diesel fuel is treated when you buy it, I always add treatment to every fuel jug before adding fuel. In 25 years of diesel tractor operation, I have never had a fuel related issue. The treatment you add (assuming it's a high quality and specifically designed product like Howe's, Lucas, etc) doesn't hurt the fuel in any way and only helps the system and enhances the fuels "burn", which is beneficial for the machines long term function.

Each year we have GTT members who end up with untreated diesel in their machines for some reason and trust me, you don't want to deal with the gelling and issues which accompany diesel fuel, moisture and cold temperatures. They call it fuel gelling because it ends up like Jello in the fuel tank, filter, fuel lines, etc. and its something you would rather avoid. Should that ever happen, be very careful to limit or avoid products with alcohol in them which are commonly used to treat this issue. For example, the Emergency 911 treatment which is sold has a heavy alcohol content and alcohol is very corrosive to fuel system components.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The blower went on easy. After reading all the threads here I was expecting a big deal. It took about 20 minutes on a dirt floor, no dollies. Took longer to get it off the pallet and route the hoses than anything. The same as the 425, just heavier and more room to crawl under. The 2 bearings are not a problem. I do need to zip tie hoses to keep them out of the way and lower the shoes a little. As for ballast, my 425 had loaded bar tires so it got great traction for 2 wd. Im afraid my 140 lbs doesnt contribute a whole lot.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did buy a bottle of Howes yeaterday. She came with a full tank but I will treat the tank anyway. The dealer said they have switched over to a winter blend but for the cost of treating 5 gallons its well worth it

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They have their own tanks. They are a big dealer with several locations and they also deal in ag equipment so Im sure they turn it over

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does that use existing holes or did you have to re drill. I hqve a Heavy Hitch coming in a few days. I wqs wondering how the top link would match up with the ROPS in the way, plus Im thinking on the side would allow use of a bungee to keep it from swinging or vibrating

1 - 20 of 27 Posts