Green Tractor Talk banner

My new 2017 2038R

6K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  J3 Driver 
#1 ·
Well, I also joined the ranks of the new 2R owners. I have been lurking, reading these forums & drooling over the JD marketing materials.
:greentractorride:
I appreciate the knowledge and experience of the group here. Lots of good info, updates and videos/vlogs. We need more 2R video!

I was planning to buy a new 2032R but my dealer group had 3 2038R's. For a mere $1450 more it was a cheap HP (and PTO HP) upgrade. After all of the other options, upgrades and implements, what's another $1500? (Especially @ 0% APR!)

The PO was signed mid-April and it rolled off of the transfer truck a few days later. It has been sitting on my dealer's back lot waiting for the options to arrive to complete my build. I checked in last week and the 60D MMM, 4-n-1 bucket & hydraulics upgrades should arrive by Monday 5/15. I am hoping for delivery by Friday 5/19. The downside of this whole transaction is the 3-4 week wait for a mower deck and other parts to arrive at my dealer before configuration work can begin. In the meantime, my GT is down and the grass is coming up.

I will post some pictures of my stock rig pre-upgrades (see next post) and then will take more upon taking delivery.

Thanks again to you guys and your forums. This really helped to make what I believe is the right choice for our 7 acre Apiary (honey bee yard) and small farm.

Regards,
DeerePilot (Adam)

See less See more
#2 ·
We need more 2R video!
You need to buy a camera and a tripod and start making movies! I did just buy a tripod for that purpose and thinking about a Go-Pro clone as well. The more videos and information out there - the better!!

Thanks again to you guys and your forums. This really helped to make what I believe is the right choice for our 7 acre Apiary (honey bee yard) and small farm.
7 acre apiary!? WOW! That really puts us guys with a couple of hives to shame!! I'd love to see pics of it. There are some beekeeping threads here on the board. Be sure to contribute and/or start your own. There are several novice beekeepers on here (including me!) that could probably learn a lot from someone that manages the number of hives that you do.

Regards,
DeerePilot (Adam)
Do you pilot anything with wings? Many of us here are interested in all things aviation, so be sure to post up.

And, finally... WELCOME TO GTT!! Great group of helpful folks around here!! :bigthumb:

#10 ·
You need to buy a camera and a tripod and start making movies! I did just buy a tripod for that purpose and thinking about a Go-Pro clone as well. The more videos and information out there - the better!!

7 acre apiary!? WOW! That really puts us guys with a couple of hives to shame!! I'd love to see pics of it. There are some beekeeping threads here on the board. Be sure to contribute and/or start your own. There are several novice beekeepers on here (including me!) that could probably learn a lot from someone that manages the number of hives that you do.

Do you pilot anything with wings? Many of us here are interested in all things aviation, so be sure to post up.

And, finally... WELCOME TO GTT!! Great group of helpful folks around here!! :bigthumb:
I will definitely get a GoPro. I may borrow my son's Hero 5 if I can pry it out of his hands long enough. Likely, I'll need to buy a cheap clone.
Maybe I'll start another tractor YouTube channel ;-)

Sorry for the misleading post. We have 7 acres here but not 7 acres of bees. Only 4 colonies for this year. We're trying to work our way up to 12-16 eventually. Presently we are raising honey bees, chickens (eggs), a small budding fruit Orchard, blackberries & grapes.

The plan is to use the new 2038R to clear some add'l acreage and then use a 3-point auger to fence in a couple acres for horses and some other critters.

I used to fly. Private pilot, fixed wing, mostly Cessna 172s. These days I mostly only pilot my Yamaha FJR1300.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to hanging around awhile.

Adam

#4 ·
Deerepilot--welcome from south central Pa. i read that ur mower deck is on back order:banghead: i had the same problem back when i purchased my 2520 in 2006. i had been the first i guess to buy one, as this line of the 2 series was just out that yr.

will ur dealer loan u a rear finish mower to use till it comes in??:unknown:back then mine did-heck i had to mow with it (frontier GM 1072) for the whole summer, till their shipment of them decks came in.. i even went back 2 summers later and bought the same type finish mower too.

have fun with it-and enjoy it-as i did when i first bought mine-and still do-11 yrs, and a tad bit over 1,000 hrs now.:bigthumb:

#6 ·
Welcome to the 2038 club.

Reactions: DeerePilot
#7 ·
Welcome from Illinois I'm green with envey. All you guys gettint the new 2 Series. Good Luck :good2::good2:

#8 ·
2038R pictures

I will post some pictures of my stock rig pre-upgrades (see next post) and then will take more upon taking delivery.
As promised. I will post more hopefully next week.

Attachments

#11 ·
I'm too cheap to buy a Go-Pro although my stepson has one and he loves it. It is pretty cool and the new one is really tiny. He just got back from trips to Thailand and Italy and that little camera took some awesome pics and movies!!

While cleaning out my parent's place I came across a couple of nice digital cameras. If I can find the charging cables for them, I'm going to give them a try. If they don't work out, I'm thinking about this little camera.

I'm putting in three hives this year. My last ones died. I'm buying nucs this year from a local beekeeper and he's also going to help me throughout the year. I'm going to move a couple of my hives away from my place (surrounded by farm fields) and moving them to a spot that's closer to some residential areas. The property owner where I'm moving them to was super excited when I asked him if he'd be interested in hosting some hives at the back of his property. Like you, I'd like to get up to a dozen or so eventually.

Also like you - private pilot. I haven't flown in almost 10 years and Sweetie's not really interested in flying with me anywhere anymore. Too bad as our first date was me taking her up in a '46 J3 Cub.

#12 ·
I'm too cheap to buy a Go-Pro although my stepson has one and he loves it. It is pretty cool and the new one is really tiny. He just got back from trips to Thailand and Italy and that little camera took some awesome pics and movies!!
Check out the GitUp Git2P. Just like a GoPro but way less expensive. I bought one with my Traxxas Aton quadcopter for filming. Works very well. Same size/format so GoPro accessories and adapters work for it. Can get them on Amazon for $110.

Rob

#14 ·
Adam,

We definitely need to meet. Let me know next time you are up at Quality Equipment. I live right behind it. In fact, I might even take a walk up there today and get a few selfies on your tractor :laugh:

But I have 2 bee hives, 4 ducks, around 40 chickens...would love to see your place and show you mine.

-Jeremy

#15 ·
Not cool. :nunu: I guess you could if you wanted to though, they just have it sitting out there.
Hopefully all my pieces/parts showed up today and they moved it inside to build it. I have the Titan forks in the back of my pickup but no tractor to use em. I'm thinking about cancelling my order and buying an orange tractor if they don't have it here by the end of the week. :lol: Not really, but I think that I may try to use that to get QE to throw something else into the deal. Maybe a service manual and/or 1st service for free...

I also have a friend with a 3320 with a similar setup (although RFM rather than MMM) that he would sell me for significantly less than the '38R.

I'm up 42 by Jordan Lake. Would love to see your spread. I'm out your way fairly regularly, either F-V or Garner. I have a good excuse to drop by QE this week, likely tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon.
We have 4 hives, 6 chickens, 0 ducks (we will if I dig a small pond). We have ~2 acres of brush/volunteer pines and trees that I want to clear. I'm also hoping to get a 3PH PHD and fence in couple acres for horses soon. I just need to find some more $$.

:gizmo::gizmo::gizmo::gizmo::gizmo:

Adam

#16 ·
Nice meeting you the other day DeerePilot. When are you picking that bad boy up? Mine was in the shop getting an AutoConnect deck problem fixed and I picked it up yesterday...saw no sign of your ride anywhere on the lot or in the garage.

#17 ·
Welcome. Man those 2038R's are nice. Gives me the wants.

You guys need to get back into flying. You obviously have way to much play money if you're buying these new tractors. :)

I can't afford to fly for a hobby so I have to do it for a living. It scratches the itch but just isn't the same.

I wish my friend wouldn't have sold his cub a couple of years ago. That thing was so much fun. And cheap to fly.

Maybe one of these days.

#18 ·
What's the Cub doing on pavement??? It should be on a grass strip!!

Not sure how much you like to read, J3Driver, but here's a great story where the main character is a Cub.

Reactions: BigJim55
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.