Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK guys, I stopped by the shop today to see what's gone on so far on adding my new circuits. There was a small kerfuffle re: the cost of the install, so I was too flustered to snap pics of the tractor, but I'll get those to you soon.

In the pic below are the bits of that I received from Otto for my controls and grips. A big thanks to Peter at Interior Electronics in Kelowna for his help in getting the parts, and to Steve Redlich at Otto for his coaching in what I need.

On the left are the grips with the faceplates detached (the second grip is at the shop for sizing). The sketch is how I'm going to cut in the holes for the rocker switches. The lone rocker on the lower left is the ON/OFF/ON switch that I'm going to use for the continuous ON circuit if I ever build a hydraulically powered weed wacker. It will go on the dash near the between the steering wheel and the throttle. The yellow pushbutton is for my horn project, which I'll deal with when the summer comes. The row of 5 rockers are the momentaries that are going to run the circuits. Below them are the gaskets to seal up the switches.

I'm about to start drawing and cutting..... wish me luck!!! Pics to follow.

-Jer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I wanted to add some more hydraulic circuits to my tractor about 2 years ago. I started sniffing around and decided that I wanted to do a custom, very fancy, very involved proportional system. I then dropped off the TBN map for about a year to focus on some 'life stuff'. By this time I had come to my senses in more ways than one.....

When I moved to SK I actually needed at least one new circuit for a snow blade, so I decided to go ahead. I was able to refresh and draw on a lot of the research I did and advice I was given 2 years ago, and here I am now.

I still opted to go with an electrohydraulic system, but not proportional.

Here is what i've been left with at the end of the evening with my Dremel, some black silicone, and about 300$ worth of parts from Otto......

The smaller grip is for the loader joystick and the bottom rocker will control the grapple or snowblade. The top rocker is actually a dud for the time being, it's just there for possible future (ie if I get around to building my PTO driven high-flow hydraulic driven snowblower to hang from my loader). The yellow push button is what I use when I'm too close for missiles..... or if I need to blow the yet-to-be-installed horn.

The larger grip is going to go on the 3pt control lever. The bottom horizontal rocker will be for angling a blade, or rotating the chute on my blower. The top one will be for the tilt of top 'n tilt, and the vertical one is for the top of the top 'n tilt.

Yes, before someone notices, the top horizontal switch is a little cock-eyed.....

The last remaining switch is the one for the dash for the ON/OFF/ON wiring.

There's a ways to go yet, but most everything else will be done at the hydro shop. Hopefully be done by early next week.....

-Jer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Small problem.....

The large faced Otto grip that I intended to put on the 3pt hitch control lever is too big to fit between the seat's armrest and fender.....sooooo..... the 3 buttons that were placed on that grip are now going on some blank space on the right side fender, where the cruise control buttons are. They'll be cut in this weekend (correction, I'LL be cutting them in - I don't want to be deemed lazy) and hopefully I'll be blowing snow by tuesday.

Pics to follow.....

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sat down today to fix my previous oops....

The switches popped out from the grip no problem, I didn't glue them, only silicone, and it wasn't really set up yet. The gaskets survived nicely, so I reused them.

I went with the same pattern as I was going to use on the grip, only tightened it up a bit in case I find an excuse to add something else.....like a heated seat......

I put a pic of the underside of the fender panel just for you all to see the pre-marked holes that JD places on there.

FOR SALE: One pre-cut Otto large grip. Price: Free, you pay for shipping.. Need to purchase own switches. PM me.

I hope I was able to take my pics from such an angle that you can see the 5 degree deviation in my cuts!!! Kenny..... this means you......!!

-Jer.

Just FYI, after having to retype this, I now realize that the trackpad on a macbook WILL indeed respond to the paws of a kitten..... thank you Steve Jobs, you maniacal techno-fiend...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After pre-drilling the holes, I've decided to add one more thing to my tractor to break up the boredom of pasture mowing - a cribbage board!!!.... Pics to follow....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
How many outlets will you have when its all said and done?
3 sets front (including existing arm/bucket circuits), 4 sets rear (including the existing mechanical lever controlled 3rd scv). Two of the rear ones are for top n' tilt. There's a spot in the manifold to add a 4th to the front in future to control the chute rotation if I ever fab up a front blower.

-Jer.

·
Registered
733 Posts
EXCELLENT Work,
Gotta ask...what you using for a valve bank and where'd you put it? Thats the only complaint I got on my machine....not enough hydraulc circuits...I need another 2 out back at least...plus run an aux out front for the loader (Grapple someday)...
BTW..Welcome Aboard!

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
EXCELLENT Work,
Gotta ask...what you using for a valve bank and where'd you put it? Thats the only complaint I got on my machine....not enough hydraulc circuits...I need another 2 out back at least...plus run an aux out front for the loader (Grapple someday)...
BTW..Welcome Aboard!
Thank you.... :fed:

I can't take much of the credit. I did 'plot it out', but the plumbing is all being done at a hydro shop. In all honesty, my plotting was all based on knowledge gained from yourself, Kenny, SPJenkins, DFKrug, etc, etc.

The valve bank is behind the seat of the tractor. It's a 5 place manifold with 4 parker valves on it. It's in a nice, protected spot. I'll post pics ASAP. It's not going to be cheap, but worth it in my books.

My only worry is how bad I'm going to feel when I have to do it all over again when I get a cab machine!! That's a few years away though.

-Jer.

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Nice job Jer, Glad you joined DT:bye:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Jer,
Can't wait to see this project completed, keep up the good work.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
On the edge of my seat.
:munch:

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Stopped at shop today to cut in the final switch in the dash, so I grabbed a few pics. The whole system is to be tested tomorrow, and hopefully it'll be home friday AM.

I'll explain a bit about the manifold and how it's laid out. It's a 5 place manifold, but only 4 are used - you can see that 'spot 4' is empty with the aluminum cap on it. The reason the 2 valves on the left of the rear view pic are raised a bit higher is because the black 'layer' between them and the manifold if a flow control valve. The FCV's that are sandwiched are bloody expensive (~ 180$) relative to a needle style (40$), but those are the circuits for the T n T, and there wasn't room anywhere else to plumb another style of FCV.

The needle FCV for the added front circuit can be seen just in behind the view of the loader QD bracket - it's black with a silver knob.

-Jer.

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Wow Jer, that is looking great!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Good job:thumbup1gif:
That looks very good considering how much is going on there.

Anxiously waiting for completion and your testing.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
... again.... I must sheepishly remind everyone and confess that all the plumbing was done by the pro's...... It does look awesome though. It would've been May before I was able to get that result!! The guys at Provincial Hydraulics were really good about considering function and form. I'm very pleased, just need to pay now!!

-Jer.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Man! That is one heck of a rig. You are going to be happy with that set up. Now you just need to use it.:good2:

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Man! That is one heck of a rig. You are going to be happy with that set up. Now you just need to use it.:good2:
Got a yard to clear and hockey rink to build starting tomorrow!!

-Jer.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
FINALLY got her home!!! Unfortunately I was only able to enjoy it for a very rushed 45 minutes before I had to run to the airport to go to work for 9 days.... BOOOOOO!!! All of the rear circuits are working fantastic. I didn't have time to put the snow blade on to test the front circuit, but it worked well at the shop with the test cylinder.

I was able to get the snow cleared from the yard so that it's at least passable with all vehicles, rather than just my monster truck.

Sorry I didn't have time to take pics video - I'll do one when I get home on the 21st.

Big, BIG thanks to everyone for their advice - Kenny, Steve, DFKrug, JimGerkin, to the boys at Provincial Hydraulics for their hard work, and freakin' beauty install on the machine, Peter at Interior Electronics in Kelowna for gettin' the Otto electonic bits, and to Steve Redlich for his advice directly at Otto.

My next investment is either a mini weather station to tell me what direction the wind is coming from, or a cab. Holy crap is that snow cold!!!!

-Jer.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Jer,
How are things working out. I am looking to do a simple port addition like a thread in here has or something a bit like yours but about half the size.

You still like everything you did? Would you change anything?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts