Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this 1944 Farmall B with Henderson loader up Saturday. Here are a few pictures from the seller that was posted in his ad, plus a couple on the trailer on the way home.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,369 Posts
What happened to picking up a JD B?

·
Super Moderator
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This one was a lot less expensive than any John Deere from that era, or at least in my area. If I had my preference, I would have a John Deere M or a 40, or a 320 or 420, or at the largest, a B.

·
Premium Member
8,028 Posts
Nice.

I see it came with a spinner knob. :good2:

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
This brings back memories. In 1968, when we were 14-15, a neighbor kid and I bought an old Farmall B from a friend of theirs for $25.00. It had been sitting outside for years and the can was gone off the exhaust. The motor was completely full of water. But we cleaned it up and tore it down. The pistons were seized to the sleeves and they came out together. Never could get them separated. The block had cracked on the side and my dad welded it up. We bought a rebuild kit from IH of new sleeves, pistons, wrist pins, rods, rings, bearings and gaskets for $44.00. We painted it and put new decals on. Also changed the oil in the transmission and rear axle. I don’t remember but we may have had to have the radiator repaired too. Surprisingly, it ran pretty well and didn’t leak anti-freeze out of the weld. We used it to work up one of their fields to break it in. We ended up selling it for $400.00. Not bad for a couple of kids.

For years, my wife and I have had a ‘47 or ‘48 Farmall Cub in the shop finally going back together. It’s been in that state for 5 years. I’m having trouble finding the motivation to finish it. Maybe if I painted it green..........

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Several Farmall's in our area.

What I see is most don't have a 3 point hitch or a pto.

Don't know anything about them..................yet.

So its a gas 4 cyl. ?

Must be the Hydraulic oil tank hanging off the rear?

Trip bucket it looked like?

Seems to run fine

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I grew up in Farmall country and we had a "B" when I was a kid growing up. I drove it many a mile using cultivators, middle buster, pulling a stalk cutter, cotton trailers, etc. I loved it.

I'm assuming this one has a hydraulic pump running off of the pto to run the loader? These tractors did not have hydraulics, the original power lift was a big cylinder that worked off of the exhaust gas, and they never worked very well or for very long. Many people added hydraulics to them in various ways, knew of at least one where the guy used a power steering pump off of a car for a hydraulic pump.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Well, I guess it will be Ok once it's painted green.:lol:

Naw, they are nice little tractors.

·
Super Moderator
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Henderson loader runs off the pto and it's not a live pto. The thing hanging off the back is the hydraulic pump and reservoir. It does have a problem - the starter switch isn't engaging the lug on the starter. He had a new switch, but it isn't engaging it either. The original switch that was on it is burnt and worn pretty bad. The new switch probably was made in China and probably not to the exact tolerances needed. I have to look further into the problem.

·
Premium Member
14,152 Posts
Nice looking B, my uncles owned Farmalls , thinking only one B .

·
Super Moderator
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see I hadn't posted any new pictures of it since I got it home. I have used the loader several times - it's good for picking up and moving things that my back don't like to do, like 150 lb wheel weights. I want to rewire it as the wiring is a mess and the lights don't work. I also need to address a leaking fuel bowl.
IMG_1762.JPG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts