Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would share with the group that I finally "cut to the chase" and had my local welder cut out 6 inches from my ROPS. I re-installed it today and it is 79 inches high, which clears my garage door just fine with about an inch or two to spare. I was concerned about the garage door motor, but it cleared it just fine. It had been off the tractor since last fall and I wanted to have it on the tractor, but still be able to get it into the garage.

In spite of their best efforts to keep it straight, it was off by just a little bit and it took some finagling to get it re-installed. So if any of you with welders decide to tackle this, be careful when lining it up for welding after the cut. There is not much room for a "mis-adjustmnt". The cut will need to be made closest to the joint.

I also installed the recall kit for the spring clips. It is just a retainer ring to make the cable longer, although they do include new spring clips.

Dave

·
Premium Member
14,906 Posts
Thought I would share with the group that I finally "cut to the chase" and had my local welder cut out 6 inches from my ROPS. I re-installed it today and it is 79 inches high, which clears my garage door just fine with about an inch or two to spare. I was concerned about the garage door motor, but it cleared it just fine. It had been off the tractor since last fall and I wanted to have it on the tractor, but still be able to get it into the garage.

In spite of their best efforts to keep it straight, it was off by just a little bit and it took some finagling to get it re-installed. So if any of you with welders decide to tackle this, be careful when lining it up for welding after the cut. There is not much room for a "mis-adjustmnt". The cut will need to be made closest to the joint.

I also installed the recall kit for the spring clips. It is just a retainer ring to make the cable longer, although they do include new spring clips.

Dave
Had my BIL cut mine down , about a week after owning my 1026r. We had a piece of sq tubing that fit inside the ROPS after we cut them apart , put it inside the openings , rewelded , been happy as can be.

·
Registered
241 Posts
When the dealer swapped my SCV, they also installed the new spring clips. The new ones were a little bit larger diameter material than the old ones on mine. I figured the ring was added so that they didn't have to change the cables out.

I know it made it a heck of a lot easier to install and remove the spring pins! I haven't cut my ROPS down to fit into the garage as my intention is to get a shed build for tractor storage. So I raise and lower the ROPS quite often.

Jeff

·
Registered
768 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of the difference between the original and new clips?

Reactions: Meddle
1 - 4 of 4 Posts