Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a craftsman tractor for 20 years and it thew a connecting rod. Was trying to decide between a new X580 or just repairing the Craftsman. My decision became pretty simple when I happened across a 2015 X590 with 50 hours on it for less than the X580. Picked it up yesterday and had a local dealer put on a 47 inch snow blower. Now I am ready for this blizzard that is supposed to hit this weekend.

·
Premium Member
14,106 Posts
Looks good and now you're ready for the snow.

·
Premium Member
10,936 Posts
Nice ride! If we end up not getting any snow now we'll know who to blame. :)

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,056 Posts
Congratulations pilot-five.
New tractor, new snowblower and a major snow storm for you tomorrow............................what's not to like.:lol:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Nice rig, have fun in the snow you should get plenty to test it out!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
:good2: That is one snow eating machine. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had a small dusting this morning so I tested the snow blower. Good thing I did as the shoes were keeping the scraper 3/4 inch off of the ground. Moved them back to about 1/4 inch which is what I had on the craftsman.

Just have to get used to the PTO disengaging when I back up. Still pretty happy to have this just before the storm!

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,200 Posts
:congrats: You look to be ready. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Those I know that have a x590 love it,goes through the thick grass like a champ.They haven't had any deep snow to to test their blowers out so I hope you can let us know how it performs.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Congratulations pilot-five.
New tractor, new snowblower and a major snow storm for you tomorrow............................what's not to like.:lol:
Freezing your butt off on it. Well after the first half hour any way lol
Did you get or do they recommend a winter grill cover for it?

·
Registered
10,271 Posts
Had a craftsman tractor for 20 years and it thew a connecting rod. Was trying to decide between a new X580 or just repairing the Craftsman. My decision became pretty simple when I happened across a 2015 X590 with 50 hours on it for less than the X580. Picked it up yesterday and had a local dealer put on a 47 inch snow blower. Now I am ready for this blizzard that is supposed to hit this weekend.

:bigthumb:
Nice ride.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Just have to get used to the PTO disengaging when I back up. Still pretty happy to have this just before the storm!
Now your X590 is a lot different than my X585 but that said if the PTO switch is about the same, all you have to do is pull up on the PTO switch while backing and it will stay on. There are three positions to it. Off, run and the momentary start. Just hold it up on the start while backing. John Deere felt it was too dangerous to allow people to back up with the PTO running. However it is perfectly safe to have them hold up on the PTO switch which now limits your ability to turn around and see what is actually behind you while backing. :banghead: Yeah that is safer....

I lived with this mowing because at least I don't mow backwards all that much. However it was this "Safety" while snowblowing that drove me over the top I am backing up nearly as much as I go forward while doing that and I had enough and I bypassed the switch. For what it is worth, the switch is down on the inside of the frame rail and has 4 wires going into it. At least on the X585. While in Neutral or Forward two pins have continuity and the other two are open. This is the PTO safety circuit that has continuity at rest and forward. The other two pins have continuity when the reverse pedal is pressed and that is to activate the backup lights. The quick fix is to make a jumper wire. Identify the PTO circuit and jumper the two wires so they have continuity all the time. If you go in for service they will see it and may remove it but just hook it back up or just remove it before going in. It is a quick thing to remove and replace. In my case I went all out and cracked open the harness and fixed it there so there is no undoing it. Not that I take my machine to the dealer anymore anyhow.

Sorry for venting. Some of the safety devices make sense. Getting off the seat without the parking brake set. I can live with that one. The PTO one just pissed me off for too many years before I "fixed" it. I find it interesting that from what I have read, the PTO remains engaged on my Z950R in reverse. I guess they trust the guys running the big commercial stuff to be safe. I haven't mowed with it yet to confirm. I did notice I can't take off the parking brake before pulling the control levers out of the lockout position and there is the seat safety. If that is it, I can live with them.

Congrats on the machine by the way. I will get off my soapbox now... :soapbox:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I may need to dig into that fix thank you.

·
Registered
741 Posts
That's a snow eating machine and perfect timing based on your weather forecast. It looks like you have good rear weight for traction. At some point, you may also need chains for additional traction. Good luck and post a few photos of your machine battling the snow wars.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I found that jamming my rubber John Deere key chain between the raised PTO switch & the dashboard works perfectly.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Nice tractor !!! You may be cold while blowing the coming snow , but cold seat time is better than no seat time . Enjoy and be safe .:bigthumb:

·
Corndog Hater
11,257 Posts
Congrats on the X590 and blower, it looks real nice. Enjoy, and thanks for the pic.:good2:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sennister thanks for the five minute PTO fix suggestion! Works like a charm!

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Sennister thanks for the five minute PTO fix suggestion! Works like a charm!
Since it took you 5 minutes I assume you did the bypass rather than just hold up on the PTO switch. It is kind of a PITA to do with the mower deck on but would be easy to do with the blower on. A simple jumper wire is all it takes.

Glad I could help "fix" your new machine... I can live with safeties. There is a time and a place for them but this one is more of an issue than what it "fixes".

The best thing about the jumper is that it isn't permanent and can be un-done if you ever need to go in for service. The way I did it, I can't reverse so easy but that is fine with me.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
Pilot-five; I have not had the chance to be around any of these machines like urs. boy, it sure does look good hooked to that blower.

I have a x475, is mine a lot like urs, does urs have the 4 QC'S down under the right running board? just curios if they changed much since mine! good luck with urs, may u have many, many happy hrs on it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts